What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA Fantasy/Fiction (Teen girl, pregnancy, post-apocalyptic)

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (last edited Jun 04, 2016 06:54PM) (new)

Lauren Gano | 9 comments I am looking for a book which I read the beginning about two years ago. It was about a teenage girl who lived outside a walled society. She is captured early on and brought to a facility (along with a very young girl, maybe four or five?) inside the city. At this place all the women are implanted with babies and live there until they give birth. Afterwards the mothers go to special living spaces in the city, paid. It turns out that the mothers are killed after they give birth.

This was probably within the first 100 pages, so I don't know who can help. Let me know!

message 2: by Shanna_redwind (last edited Jun 01, 2016 06:30PM) (new)

Shanna_redwind | 859 comments Could your book be Captives? Captives (Safe Lands, #1) by Jill Williamson

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Gano | 9 comments Shanna_redwind wrote: "Could your book be Captives? Captives (Safe Lands, #1) by Jill Williamson"

I don't think so but thank you!

message 4: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2357 comments When you say "several years" could you be a little more specific -- three, five, ten, fifteen? At the time you read it, do you have any sense of whether it was a new book at the time, or an older one? Anything you recall about the cover? Do you recall how or why the walled city came into being (e.g., is this some kind of post-nuclear world or something)?

Parts of this sound like The Handmaid's Tale, but that's for sure not YA.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37756 comments Mod
Lauren, since hundreds of people here are looking for YA fantasy, all at the same time, please add plot details to make your thread stand out. Many people don't read beyond the header.

message 6: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2357 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Lauren, since hundreds of people here are looking for YA fantasy, all at the same time, please add plot details to make your thread stand out. Many people don't read beyond the header."

Yeah, you might want to edit the header to say "Teen girl, walled city, pregnancy" or something like that.

message 7: by Cupcakedoll (new)

Cupcakedoll | 283 comments The Jewel (The Lone City, #1) by Amy Ewing

Fits all the details, but may be too new.

message 8: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Gano | 9 comments Michele wrote: "Lobstergirl wrote: "Lauren, since hundreds of people here are looking for YA fantasy, all at the same time, please add plot details to make your thread stand out. Many people don't read beyond the ..."

I honestly don't remember much past this. I am pretty sure it could be post-apocalyptic.

message 9: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Gano | 9 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Lauren, since hundreds of people here are looking for YA fantasy, all at the same time, please add plot details to make your thread stand out. Many people don't read beyond the header."

I don't have any details past this

message 10: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Gano | 9 comments Cupcakedoll wrote: "The Jewel (The Lone City, #1) by Amy Ewing

Fits all the details, but may be too new."

No it isn't but thank you for taking your time to try!

message 11: by Holly (last edited Jun 04, 2016 11:00PM) (new)

message 12: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4873 comments Another guess: The Glass Arrow The Glass Arrow by Kristen Simmons

Do you remember the cover?

message 13: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2357 comments Maybe Lois Lowry's Son?

message 14: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Gano | 9 comments Holly wrote: "Some suggestions:
Eve
Bumped
The Jewel
Birthmarked
The Testament of Jessie Lamb
Son
Wither"

None of those, but thanks!

message 15: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Gano | 9 comments Tab wrote: "Another guess: The Glass ArrowThe Glass Arrow by Kristen Simmons

Do you remember the cover?"

Not the Glass Arrow (I actually thought it was and read it). The cover, from what I remember was a darker color with a teardrop shape in the middle with a city inside?

message 16: by Jen (new)

Jen | 137 comments Okay I think I know this book, recently read it. Was there a plague to deal with and infected people to avoid? Was there a scene where the girl escaped the breeding centre with the little girl by hiding in a garbage truck of gutted corpses of the girls who had their third child and were then euthanised?

message 17: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2357 comments A bit of a stretch, but maybe the Fire-Us trilogy?

message 18: by Katt (new)

Katt (kattpetersen) | 2 comments Is it a handmaids tale? By Margaret Atwood?https://www.goodreads.com/book/photo/...

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Bumped (Bumped, #1) by Megan McCafferty
or Eve (Eve, #1) by Anna Carey ?

message 20: by Reader (new)

Reader | 91 comments Following!!

message 21: by Lisa (new)

message 22: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37756 comments Mod
Lauren is still looking for this and writes:

"All I remember about the book, which I remember as having a dark cover with a teardrop silhouette with a city (not positive)
- main character is a girl
- lives outside a city (which is guarded by a wall, dystopia, and outside the city is wastleland)
- girl loses her parents (in a fire?) and she is apprehended by people from the city
- she is taken to a certain facility for the city where she was given a “womanly exam” and the doctor makes a remark about not knowing she was a virgin (because she was in pain)
- I think the main character was also with a little girl that she found somewhere"

message 23: by Mellea (new)

Mellea (mlthorn) | 6 comments Sounds like the beginning of Eve by Anna Carey
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9...

message 24: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4985 comments Eve for the click.

message 25: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2357 comments Sounds liked the second (I think) book in the Fire Us trilogy

message 26: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2357 comments Sorry, here is better link The Kindling (Fire-us, #1)

message 27: by Bargle (new)

Bargle | 1171 comments Michele wrote: "Sounds liked the second (I think) book in the Fire Us trilogy"
No, there's no walled city in the Fire-us books. The women (and men) are living in a shopping mall. I don't recall any form of money being in use.

message 28: by Naida (new)

Naida  D.  | 1 comments Hi Lauren,

was it maybe The Jewel - by Amy Ewing?

message 29: by Michele (last edited Apr 14, 2018 09:17AM) (new)

Michele | 2357 comments Bargle wrote: "No, there's no walled city in the Fire-us books. The women (and men) are living in a shopping mall. I do..."

In the later books, isn't there a walled town? I thought I remembered that's where they keep the women while they're pregnant.

message 30: by Bargle (new)

Bargle | 1171 comments In the later books, isn't there a walled town? I thought I remembered that's where they keep the women while they're pregnant

Yeah, there is one in the last book. My goof. Sorry. However, it isn't the women that are killed, but their babies.

message 31: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2357 comments Oh right. Forgot about that.

message 32: by El (new)

El | 502 comments The Jewel for Naida's suggestion

message 33: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Gano | 9 comments One suggestion had something else that I remember : Was there a plague to deal with and infected people to avoid? Was there a scene where the girl escaped the breeding centre with the little girl by hiding in a garbage truck of gutted corpses of the girls who had their third child and were then euthanised?

message 34: by Jen (new)

Jen | 137 comments Lauren wrote: "One suggestion had something else that I remember : Was there a plague to deal with and infected people to avoid? Was there a scene where the girl escaped the breeding centre with the little girl b..."

Right that was from me. I have read this story, I think it is the one you're looking for.

message 35: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Gano | 9 comments Jen wrote: "Lauren wrote: "One suggestion had something else that I remember : Was there a plague to deal with and infected people to avoid? Was there a scene where the girl escaped the breeding centre with th..."

Do you remember the name?

message 36: by Jen (new)

Jen | 137 comments Lauren wrote: "Jen wrote: "Lauren wrote: "One suggestion had something else that I remember : Was there a plague to deal with and infected people to avoid? Was there a scene where the girl escaped the breeding ce..."

No, but it's in my iBooks library and I have been looking through to find it. I read this genre like eating potato chips and they blur together.

message 37: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16151 comments Still looking, Lauren?