Feminist Shoujo discussion

Introductions

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moni (new)

Moni (macaroon-dream) | 14 comments Mod
Hello, glad you decided to join the group.
This is for newcomers that want to introduce themselves. Talk about what brought you here, your favorite manga, and what may have drawn you to manga or what as a feminist you like or dislike about manga.
Some of my favorites are Soul Eater, A Bride's Story, Princess Jellyfish and Nana. I love manga because of the variety of stories that can be told from grand space epics to a slice of life about one person day to day experiences. Of course like with books and movies, mangas have a problem with treading worn out tropes that frankly limit storytelling for me.

message 2: by Cindy III (new)

Cindy III | 2 comments Growing up with anime attracted me to manga. At first I gravitated more toward shonen than shojo because my sister took over some of the books I got and I like action-adventure stories. That's something that's not usually found in shojo. (It just occured to me right now. I could be wrong though can't think of exceptions right now.)

I was trying to think of a shojo manga that turns the tropes on their heads...maybe Ouran High School Host Club. They are used, but Haruhi can be considered a femenist, can't she? She's independent, speaks her mind and doesn't care for being society's idea of what a girl should be like (watched the anime recently).

message 3: by Moni (new)

Hi Cindy, glad to see interest in this group. OHS is considered by most feminist manga websites I've seen like Mary Sue as a critical piece of the typical shoujo manga and it's tropes. For me part of what makes it impressive is also how it characterizes the male characters (as they all embody male character tropes). I'll wait until there's a few more members to start having book club reading.

message 4: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mippa) | 2 comments Hello, I'm Melissa! I'm a long-time shoujo lover and lived in Japan from 2005-2008. My favorite titles are NANA, Honey and Clover, Princess Jellyfish, Emma, Sugar Sugar Rune, Hana Yori Dango, Peach Girl, Kamisama Hajimemashita, and Marmalade Boy.

I will basically read anything Yazawa Ai, Anno Moyoco, Ueda Miwa, and Kamio Yoko put out. I'm also a big Kdrama nerd and hope to find more literary work that share the same qualities my manga and dramas share!

message 5: by Moni (new)

Melissa wrote: "Hello, I'm Melissa! I'm a long-time shoujo lover and lived in Japan from 2005-2008. My favorite titles are NANA, Honey and Clover, Princess Jellyfish, Emma, Sugar Sugar Rune, Hana Yori Dango, Peach..."

Welcome to the club Melissa

message 6: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (kathyxtran) | 1 comments Hi, I'm Kathy! I saw a post for the group over at The F-Word and decided to join because I've been meaning to get into reading manga again. I would say that I've read manga since I was young, starting with Sailor Moon. I think that I was drawn to shoujo because I wanted to read stories with girls and women as the protagonists, and those weren't very common at the time (or now for that matter).

One of the more recent manga titles I've really liked is Tomo-chan. It's just a light-hearted, enjoyable series. I know it employs a lot of classic tropes, which makes it interesting when the story takes a different direction with plot lines and characters compared to your expectations (ie. could have girls as love rivals but they become quick friends instead, etc.)