2017 Reading Challenge discussion

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
A Young Adult book > Harry Potter

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kathy The Harry Potter series has filled in many categories for me this year in the challenge. Today I finished #7 and it fits nicely into this young adult slot. I think I put off reading this series because I try to avoid children's/young adult stories whenever I can. So much of young adult is angsty and whiny and I lose patience reading the stories.

Well, in this case, I was wrong! Harry Potter was an incredibly, amazing adventure. If you haven't read it yet, read it soon! It was so worth the time.

Categories I filled with this series: Europe, Young Adult, Seen the movie, NYT Bestseller, Reread, and Name of person in the title.

Thomas Johansson (dakkster) | 215 comments I popped my cherry on the entire series last year. Listened to Stephen Fry narrating the audiobook version and it was completely fantastic.

Frogli | 118 comments I still have a special place in heart for the Potter series, am both nervous and excited for the '8th story' plays that start next week (I'm not seeing it until august) just trying to decide if I can resist the book/playtext until I see it which is what I should do but the temptation may prove too much...

Kathy I don't think I could move on to The Cursed Child quite yet. I am still trying to wrap my brain around the story in the first seven. I am surprised at how emotional it was for me.

Frogli | 118 comments I've had more time to let things settle as I first read them while they were being published, I think I started around the time Goblet of Fire was published.

It's been about a year since The cursed Child tickets went on sale so I'm ready for it now. I would rather see the play before reading it but avoiding spoilers won't be easy as it's bound to be all over the papers never mind the internet!

Sarah I too started reading these books around the time the fourth book came out... I wanted to know what all the fuss was about! I really enjoyed them and I gave them to my kids to enjoy; I thought they were really well written for young adult books! I got sucked into the story and the characters and found myself eagerly waiting for the next book to come out. My daughter and I have pre ordered the Cursed Child but I am a little on the fence about whether this is going to be another great one or if maybe the series is truly finished and would be harmed by another addition.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I am on the fence about any additions to the HP series, too. Well, I guess we will find out soon and I am sure it will be difficult to avoid spoilers.

Frogli | 118 comments I think, at the moment at least I don't have a problem keeping them separate as the books are the books and for all that it's the '8th story' I'll be seeing it as a play. The fact that it has completely different casting to the films helps. So if I like it great, if I don't can just ignore it.

That's the idea anyway, we'll see if that actually holds true after I see/read it!