#readwomen discussion

#readwomen summer > introducing #readwomen summer

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

i meant to make a post sooner than this--sorry!

instead of hosting the usual monthly #readwomen book club, i'm going to be hosting a #readwomen summer extravaganza. starting today, i'm challenging #readwomen members to read only/mostly women authors for the entire summer, right up until the last day of august. you pick your own books and go with it as long as you can and to whatever extent you can!

readwomen started out as an individual reading challenge. we're going back to that for a few months. that means you make the rules. the whole point is to push yourself to appreciate women authors more. don't think you can last the whole summer? that's fine. don't think you can start right away? that's fine, too. have a summer class that requires you to read stories penned by male authors? that's OK. want to read an anthology that is comprised mostly of women authors but also includes a few male authors? whatever you want. as long as you challenge yourself to read more women writers and, most importantly, MORE MARGINALIZED WOMEN WRITERS, then you're good to go!

who's going to participate?

message 2: by pi (new)

pi (book__sorceress) | 13 comments Mod
I'm super excited for this #readwomen summer :D

message 3: by Jenny Lynn (new)

Jenny Lynn (jennylynnferg) | 16 comments I'm down! I'm already reading two books by women and have several more on hand to start after this :D

message 4: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat-thecatlady) | 12 comments I will definitely try my hardest!! :D

message 5: by Jesi (new)

Jesi (jesireads) | 19 comments Sounds like a good plan

message 6: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan I'm in! Just looking at some of my TBR pile I have about 20+books written by women.

message 7: by Mahala (new)

Mahala (natureandgrace) | 9 comments Whoo! I have somewhere near 35+ books in my TBR pile and I know a large portion of those are written by women. I'm real excited to see what everyone reads this summer! :)

message 8: by Saffyre (new)

Saffyre Falkenberg (thebooksapphire) | 6 comments I'm definitely going to try!

message 9: by Elena (new)

Elena Johansen Of course the two books I borrowed from my mother yesterday are both by male authors...I'll still read plenty of women this summer, I think it's a great idea!

message 10: by Amber-Lynn (new)

Amber-Lynn | 1 comments I am definitely up for this! Starting out with a book that was described as "for readers who enjoy knitting and relationships between women". It's called Spinning Forward and it's pretty interesting so far. I am so excited to hear what others are reading. I'd especially like to read more authors who are Canadian, or at the very least not American. I find too much of the media easily available to me is created by Americans or takes place in the United States.

message 11: by Madge (new)

Madge (madge_the_bibliomaniac) I'm in! I'm trying to finish Great Expectations (which is taking me ten million years to finish for some reason), but after that I think I'll be up for reading all (or at least almost all) women this summer since most (or maybe all) of the books high on my TBR were written by women.

message 12: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (nixienyx) I'm in! Can't wait to participate.

message 13: by Clara (new)

Clara | 3 comments Wow, great idea! I'll put my Murakami-mountain on hold and participate :D

message 14: by Hannah Renea (new)

Hannah Renea Bumgarner (hrbumga) (hrbumga) | 3 comments I'm definitely willing to give it a try! :)

message 15: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1 comments This is perfect! And I was just about to order three book and they are all by female authors when I found this, right on time

message 16: by Elisabetta (new)

Elisabetta (sirwatshon) | 2 comments I'm in! :D

Alex(Books-In-A-Storm) (books-in-a-storm) I'm in! I have a pile of books to read and most of them are written by women.

message 18: by Jesi (new)

Jesi (jesireads) | 19 comments rereading The Circle of Magic series by Tamora Pierce right now, this definitely gave me the excuse to jump into it right away.

message 19: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hbockius) | 1 comments All but one of the summery stories I was planning to read this summer are by women. This works out perfectly!

message 20: by Trista (new)

Trista Hendren (tristahendren) | 2 comments I am totally in - just found your group but this fits with my summer plans anyway!

message 21: by Trista (new)

Trista Hendren (tristahendren) | 2 comments Just wrote a blog post with a shout-out to this group! http://thegirlgod.blogspot.no/2016/07...

thebaronessofbooks | 3 comments On it as soon as I finish The Girl With All The Gifts. I have a bunch of female authors I want to check off my to be read list.

message 23: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie So far this summer I've read six books by lady authors, from a total of twelve books, and currently reading three more. Not bad, but I'm definitely looking to do better!

message 24: by Jenny Lynn (new)

Jenny Lynn (jennylynnferg) | 16 comments I think I've read 6 so far and I'm currently working on a few more (multi-tasking books has never been my strong suit but somehow I'm making it work thanks to a combo of audiobooks, print books, and ebooks