Play Book Tag discussion

A Tale of Love and Darkness
This topic is about A Tale of Love and Darkness
Archive: Other Books > A Tale of Love and Darkness - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Diane Zwang | 485 comments A Tale of Love and Darkness
5 stars

Amos Oz is a new author for me but he is one of Israel's most famous authors. This memoir is of his life in Israel before statehood and how his parents and family immigrated to the country. Oz gives extensive family history highlighting the emotional sides to relationships. I was amazed at how candid Oz was on sharing his feelings about his parents and himself. This story also included Amos Oz love of writing and how he eventually became a writer. His writing I thought so beautiful that sometimes I forgot that I was reading non-fiction. This book ticked a lot of boxes for me; history, cultural, family and relationships so I loved it. I look forward to reading Black Box also by Oz.

My favorite quote from the book: “If you steal from one book, you're a plagiarist; if you steal from five books, you're a scholar; if you steal from fifty books, you're a great scholar”.

message 2: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments Diane wrote: "A Tale of Love and Darkness
5 stars

Amos Oz is a new author for me but he is one of Israel's most famous authors. This memoir is of his life in Israel before statehood and how his parents and fami..."

I've not heard of him before. Is he known for fiction or nonfiction?

Diane Zwang | 485 comments Denizen wrote: "Diane wrote: "A Tale of Love and Darkness
5 stars

Amos Oz is a new author for me but he is one of Israel's most famous authors. This memoir is of his life in Israel before statehood and how his pa..."

Good question I had to look it up, he writes both. His other book I want to read Black Box looks like fiction. I also have heard about My Michael but I have not read it.

message 4: by Hahtoolah (new)

Hahtoolah | 410 comments This is my favorite Amos Oz books.