Children's Books discussion

what's the name of this book?? > Looking for a book

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mikuwashi (new)

Mikuwashi | 2 comments I'm looking for a book series I read when I was a child. I can't remember its title or the authors, but it had a few distinguishing features:

- It's an adventure book about a boy and is set in a world where people live airborne, on wooden ships. Like, literally, typical ships (with sails but propelled by machinery) were flying. The boy lived on one of those ships and probably also worked, as far as I remember. He's in his early teens. He doesn't really create a "gang" of friends, either has adventures alone, though encounters friendly allies along the way, but they do not form a stable group.

- There is little land to explore in this world and it is inhabited by various fantasy creatures (most of them not savage, though). The creatures could talk.

- The boy either does something wrong or sees something he shouldn't have and then is pursued by some people (or organisation).

- the book was illustrated, the illustrator and author probably weren't the same person; the illustrations were more of drawings, reminding me of comics, because they were black and white. The pictures were very detailed and scrupulous, and showed not only machinery (drawn in great detail), but also the main character or creatures. The illustrations tend to occupy the page partially or as a whole.

- it was a series of books and I think this duo has also created another series together, also adventure book for children.

- the book was released either in early 2000s or very late 90s.

My memory could've changed the details somehow.

message 2: by Beverly, Miscellaneous Club host (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 2276 comments Mod
I am wondering if you are thinking of the Edge Chronicles by Paul Stewart and illustrated by Chris Riddell. The first book in the series is Beyond the Deepwoods.
The Edge Chronicles 4 Beyond the Deepwoods First Book of Twig by Paul Stewart
BTW: My library's catalog and GoodReads disagree on the order of the series; I am giving you the first in the series as listed in our library catalog.

message 3: by LauraW (new)

LauraW (lauralynnwalsh) | 127 comments You could also try the group titled "What's the Name of That Book???".

message 4: by Mikuwashi (new)

Mikuwashi | 2 comments Yes, that's it! Thank you!!!