Rated YA-MA discussion

Archive > June 2016 On Deck

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments What are your reading plans for this month?

message 2: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments I'm definitely reading these:
The Museum of Heartbreak by Meg Leder Bittersweet (True North, #1) by Sarina Bowen All the Wrong Places (Bluewater Bay, #14) by Ann Gallagher Heroine Complex by Sarah Kuhn Defending Taylor by Miranda Kenneally Fly With Me (Wild Aces, #1) by Chanel Cleeton Into the Blue (Wild Aces, #2) by Chanel Cleeton

Potentially some of these:
THIRDS Beyond the Books (Volume 1) by Charlie Cochet Unholy Magic (Downside Ghosts, #2) by Stacia Kane Zero at the Bone (Zero at the Bone, #1) by Jane Seville We Are the Ants by Shaun David Hutchinson Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1) by Leigh Bardugo The Haunting of Renegade X by Chelsea M. Campbell Thirteen Part One (The Others Project #2) by Adrienne Wilder

Basically, whatever else strikes my fancy.

message 3: by Christie (new)

Christie (cereale) I have a vacation coming up next week so I am hoping to get some reading done.

Finish: Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle by Fiona Carnarvon Legacy (Legacy, #1) by Cayla Kluver

And then all of these:
How To Rock Braces and Glasses by Meg Haston Persepolis The Story of a Childhood (Persepolis, #1-2) by Marjane Satrapi The Mirk and Midnight Hour by Jane Nickerson The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1) by Scott Westerfeld Manor of Secrets by Katherine Longshore America (The Book) A Citizen's Guide to Democracy Inaction by Jon Stewart The Autobiography of Eleanor Roosevelt by Eleanor Roosevelt A Mad, Wicked Folly by Sharon Biggs Waller Mademoiselle Chanel by C.W. Gortner A Madness So Discreet by Mindy McGinnis The Magician's Lie by Greer Macallister The Lie Tree by Frances Hardinge The Leaving by Tara Altebrando Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly

message 4: by Melanie, the 8th (new)

Melanie | 1088 comments Continue my title chain with...
This Shattered World (Starbound, #2) by Amie Kaufman . Who Could That Be at This Hour? (All the Wrong Questions, #1) by Lemony Snicket . The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making (Fairyland, #1) by Catherynne M. Valente

Also..
Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor . The Rise of Nine (Lorien Legacies, #3) by Pittacus Lore . The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness

message 5: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Melanie wrote: "Continue my title chain with...
This Shattered World (Starbound, #2) by Amie Kaufman. Who Could That Be at This Hour? (All the Wrong Questions, #1) by Lemony Snicket. [bookcover:The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her O..."

Melanie, I hope you like Daughter of Smoke and Bone! One of my favorite series :)

message 6: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Finish:
The Serpent's Shadow (Kane Chronicles, #3) by Rick Riordan Red Seas Under Red Skies (Gentleman Bastard, #2) by Scott Lynch Traitor Angels by Anne Blankman

Read:
In the Heart of the Sea The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex by Nathaniel Philbrick Eon (Eon, #1) by Alison Goodman Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1) by Kim Harrison The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank

Not a lot planned for this month, but it looks like it'll be a good one regardless!

message 7: by Brandi (new)

Brandi (brandireynolds) | 247 comments Finishing up The King of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #3) by Megan Whalen Turner (I just saw that there are going to be 6 books in this series which makes me super happy)

Then for a monthly challenge in another group, I'm going to attempt to read Blackberry Summer (Hope's Crossing, #1) by RaeAnne Thayne If You Only Knew by Kristan Higgins Welcome to Serenity (The Sweet Magnolias #4) by Sherryl Woods -romances tend to be quick reads for me so I'm also hoping to get in another book after those but who knows...

message 8: by Melanie, the 8th (new)

Melanie | 1088 comments Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "Melanie, I hope you like Daughter of Smoke and Bone! One of my favorite series :)"

It a series that has interested me for a while, but I keep putting it off for various reasons.

message 9: by Jennifer (last edited Jun 05, 2016 11:08AM) (new)

Jennifer | 378 comments Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "Finish:
The Serpent's Shadow (Kane Chronicles, #3) by Rick Riordan Red Seas Under Red Skies (Gentleman Bastard, #2) by Scott Lynch Traitor Angels by Anne Blankman

Read:
Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1) by Kim Harrison - I am really enjoying this series. I'm currently reading the third one Every Which Way But Dead (The Hollows, #3) by Kim Harrison and it's great so far! I hope you enjoy it

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy | 237 comments Read:
Crossed (Soul Eater #3) by Eliza Crewe Lady Be Good (Wynette, Texas #2) by Susan Elizabeth Phillips Dreams of Gods & Monsters (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #3) by Laini Taylor

message 11: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Jennifer wrote: "Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "Finish:

Read:
[bookcover:In the Heart o..."

I'm looking forward to it! :)

message 12: by Melanie, the 8th (last edited Jun 29, 2016 06:53AM) (new)

Melanie | 1088 comments This month I met MOST of my goals:
This Shattered World (Starbound, #2) by Amie Kaufman An interesting continuation of the first book. I hope to pick up the final book later this summer

Who Could That Be at This Hour? (All the Wrong Questions, #1) by Lemony Snicket This is the start of a new series by Lemony Snickett. If you liked The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1) by Lemony Snicket series, you would like this also.

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making (Fairyland, #1) by Catherynne M. Valente One of my favorite reads this month.
It is a delightful episodic adventure story that is just chalk full of beautiful language and adult philosophical conundrums.

Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor This was my other favorite read. It is a really good tale of a very old theme. The world's create are both original and familiar. I loved it!

I also finished 2 Chronicles of Narnia books. One I was reading out loud to my 8 year old niece every time she visited since January and the other to my Aunt and a distraction in the hospital as she undergoes cancer treatment. They both were just delightful and heart-warming and fun to read out loud.
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Chronicles of Narnia, #5) by C.S. Lewis The Magician's Nephew (Chronicles of Narnia, #6) by C.S. Lewis

message 13: by Ashley Marie (last edited Jun 29, 2016 07:56AM) (new)

Ashley Marie Well, I'm still working through Red Seas Under Red Skies (Gentleman Bastard, #2) by Scott Lynch Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1) by Kim Harrison
Haven't gotten to Eon (Eon, #1) by Alison Goodman yet, hopefully soon though
Wound up changing my mind and not picking up The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank The Serpent's Shadow (Kane Chronicles, #3) by Rick Riordan

5 stars - Wit - Acting Edition by Margaret Edson In the Heart of the Sea The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex by Nathaniel Philbrick Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #1) by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

4 stars - Letters from Rifka by Karen Hesse

3 stars - Zealot The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth by Reza Aslan Traitor Angels by Anne Blankman

message 14: by Amy (new)

Amy | 237 comments 2 stars - Crossed (Soul Eater #3) by Eliza Crewe and those 2 stars were mainly for Meda and nothing else.

4 stars - Lady Be Good (Wynette, Texas #2) by Susan Elizabeth Phillips I'm a big SEP fan and this was a typical SEP book.

5 stars - Dreams of Gods & Monsters (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #3) by Laini Taylor LOVED everything about this book.

Also half way through Garden Spells (Waverley Family, #1) by Sarah Addison Allen and really enjoying in.

message 15: by Cissy (new)

Cissy (kgprewitt) | 35 comments Being relatively new to this group, I have a lot of catching up to do, and have gotten wonderful ideas of series to read from you.

LOVED all of these!
Fantasy of Frost (The Tainted Accords, #1) by Kelly St. Clare Fantasy of Flight (The Tainted Accords, #2) by Kelly St. Clare Fantasy of Fire (The Tainted Accords, #3) by Kelly St. Clare (Thanks Brandi)
The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle, #2) by Maggie Stiefvater Blue Lily, Lily Blue (The Raven Cycle, #3) by Maggie Stiefvater I'm reading BLUE LILY now, hovever, I'm a little scared to read the last one The Raven King (The Raven Cycle, #4) by Maggie Stiefvater because some of you didn't care for it.
The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1) by Brandon Sanderson The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2) by Brandon Sanderson and also started this series.. Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor

Also read Confess by Colleen Hoover It reminded me why I like YA instead.

message 16: by Christie (new)

Christie (cereale) I got to everything except 2 on my list and I threw some extras in there. So not too bad. It helped to have a week's vacation.

5 stars: A Madness So Discreet by Mindy McGinnis
4 stars: Persepolis The Story of a Childhood (Persepolis, #1) by Marjane Satrapi Saga, Volume 1 by Brian K. Vaughan The Autobiography of Eleanor Roosevelt by Eleanor Roosevelt A Mad, Wicked Folly by Sharon Biggs Waller America (The Book) A Citizen's Guide to Democracy Inaction by Jon Stewart
3 stars: Lord of the Flies by William Golding The Lie Tree by Frances Hardinge The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1) by Scott Westerfeld Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle by Fiona Carnarvon The Mirk and Midnight Hour by Jane Nickerson How To Rock Braces and Glasses by Meg Haston
2 stars: Legacy (Legacy, #1) by Cayla Kluver Manor of Secrets by Katherine Longshore The Lost Tudor Princess The Life of Lady Margaret Douglas by Alison Weir

message 17: by Wendy F (last edited Jul 05, 2016 12:15PM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments I read:

The Museum of Heartbreak by Meg Leder Bittersweet (True North, #1) by Sarina Bowen Fly With Me (Wild Aces, #1) by Chanel Cleeton THIRDS Beyond the Books Volume 1 (THIRDS) by Charlie Cochet All the Wrong Places (Bluewater Bay, #14) by Ann Gallagher Heroine Complex (Heroine Complex, #1) by Sarah Kuhn Roped In by Marie Sexton Smoke & Mirrors (THIRDS, #7) by Charlie Cochet Defending Taylor by Miranda Kenneally Love Lessons (Love Lessons, #1) by Heidi Cullinan White Night (The Dresden Files, #9) by Jim Butcher Into the Blue (Wild Aces, #2) by Chanel Cleeton Cream of the Crop (Hudson Valley, #2) by Alice Clayton Countdown (Newsflesh Trilogy, #0.5) by Mira Grant

My favorites were both THIRDS books, Cream of the Crop, and Love Lessons.

Heroine Complex was pretty awesome too.