Seize The Book discussion

A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1)
This topic is about A Court of Thorns and Roses
[Spoilers] A Court of Thorns and Roses

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Adele This topic is for the spoilers! We can talk about this book openly here without worrying about spoiling the book!

What'd you think of the story?

Jennifer (genoveffa) | 25 comments Well, I read this one a while ago. I figured that I loved the Throne of Glass series and was willing to bet that her other books would be just as good and with just as strong a female character. Maas didn't disappoint with this book. Funnily enough, as the end drew closer, I started to not like Tamlin as much as Rhys which, now that I'm reading book 2, was definitely intentional.

Alayna (lynoth715) | 19 comments Jennifer wrote: "Well, I read this one a while ago. I figured that I loved the Throne of Glass series and was willing to bet that her other books would be just as good and with just as strong a female character. Ma..."

Really? I don't see it. Rhys was kind of manipulative and skeevy, to me. What is it you love about him? (I'm about to start ACoMaF because I have to after that! so try not to spoil it TOO much :D )

message 4: by Hannah (new) - added it

Hannah (hannah_aitchy) | 5 comments Alayna wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Well, I read this one a while ago. I figured that I loved the Throne of Glass series and was willing to bet that her other books would be just as good and with just as strong a fem..."

In the first book I wouldn't say I *liked* Rhys, but I appreciated what he did. He was manipulative, but it was to protect himself and the other people trapped. I appreciated the way he worked to help Feyre while also making sure no one would know about it, putting them in danger. He did act skeevy, but I found it as a way of protection. If that makes any sense? I'm partway through ACoMaF which has probably changed my opinion a bit too...

Jennifer (genoveffa) | 25 comments Alayna wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Well, I read this one a while ago. I figured that I loved the Throne of Glass series and was willing to bet that her other books would be just as good and with just as strong a fem..."I think it may have to do with the fact that Tamlin started to bother me esp when they were Under the Mountain. So, I was kind of hoping that Rhys would step up by the time book two came around.

Alayna (lynoth715) | 19 comments Jennifer wrote: "Alayna wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Well, I read this one a while ago. I figured that I loved the Throne of Glass series and was willing to bet that her other books would be just as good and with just ..."

Hmm. What bothered you about T when they were Under the Mountain?

Jennifer (genoveffa) | 25 comments I guess I wanted him to do more. To fight more. Just re-read that part and still the same disappointment.

Alayna (lynoth715) | 19 comments Jennifer wrote: "I guess I wanted him to do more. To fight more. Just re-read that part and still the same disappointment."

I can see that. I understand that sometimes the only way to effectively fight is to NOT give someone the fight they're looking for, but I can also totally understand why that approach would be unsatisfying for some.

Elisabetta (sirwatshon) | 4 comments I read ACOTAR last month and I unexpectedly loved it :D I personally loved Tamlin in this book, even though I will probably change my mind when I'll read ACOMAF, but for now it's like this. I get why you were bothered by Tamlin being kind of passive in the Under the Mountain part, surely Rhys helped Feyre a lot more, but it's also true that Tamlin had his whole court to look after and he couldn't have done it and helped Feyre at the same time while being watched so closely. So I do not blame him for that. But if he becomes an abusive shit I won't forgive him for sure :)))) I'm still reserving for myself the right of doubting what other people say though, just because I don't want to be influenced by their opinion while reading ACOMAF

message 10: by mars (new)

mars (marshallmallow) I myself have just finished ACOMAF, and my heart was definitely not ready. I lot about my feelings for the characters have changed from when I read ACOTAR - but I find that to be a good thing. And I agree about Tam. Sometimes he just seemed to sit a bit too much for my liking.

Jennifer (genoveffa) | 25 comments kasaneta wrote: "I myself have just finished ACOMAF, and my heart was definitely not ready. I lot about my feelings for the characters have changed from when I read ACOTAR - but I find that to be a good thing. And ..." I'm about 50 pages from the end of ACOMAF and am stalled because I just know something is going to happen that will make me really annoyed with the fact that the next book is a year away.

message 12: by mars (new)

mars (marshallmallow) Jennifer wrote: "kasaneta wrote: "I myself have just finished ACOMAF, and my heart was definitely not ready. I lot about my feelings for the characters have changed from when I read ACOTAR - but I find that to be a..."
Ah that year seems like it's going to take a really long time without the next book.

Jennifer (genoveffa) | 25 comments A whole year will kill me!

message 14: by mars (new)

mars (marshallmallow) I agree, but we've just got to tough it out! We're strong book readers, we can do this!

Jennifer (genoveffa) | 25 comments kasaneta wrote: "I agree, but we've just got to tough it out! We're strong book readers, we can do this!"This is actually why I have set aside Queen of Shadows. Figure if I don't read it until the next book is out, then at least I have two books to devour at once. Lunar Chronicles has been a blessing since the whole series is out and I only read it because of the book club.

Hannah Hout  (writealittle_readalittle) Ok so I'm dead. I finished it two days ago and I can't stop think about it. Like I love tamlin! I really really do, but then there's Rhys. I don't know who I like more. Am I alone in this?

Adele I'll say that before I got my hands on & read ACOMAF, I liked Tamlin.

Hannah Hout  (writealittle_readalittle) I have a feeling Rhys is a better guy than he's letting on. And I have to read the sequel to find out!

Adele I'm not giving any secrets away! Muahaha!!!

Katie (redadhdventures) | 7 comments Guys. I finished this yesterday. It definitely lived up to the hype. Lucien I think was my favorite. His sarcasm and witty comments are the kind of things I live for. Guess this means I'll be reading the sequel soon.

message 21: by mars (new)

mars (marshallmallow) I've read ACOMAF and I still like Lucien a lot. I thought my feelings for him would change like it did for everyone else, but he's still the amazing to me.

Adele I really liked Lucien as well! His sarcasm was great in ACOTAR!

Adele I look forward to reading your review!

I don't know why, but I was just really drawn to Rhys in ACOTAR.

message 24: by Cecilia (new) - added it

Cecilia (cozyrainydaybooks) | 11 comments Adele wrote: "I look forward to reading your review!

I don't know why, but I was just really drawn to Rhys in ACOTAR."

Omg I was pretty much in love with Rhys from the moment he showed up in ACOTAR. Tamlin... not so much... like at all. Could not explain why though.

Adele Cecilia wrote: "Adele wrote: "I look forward to reading your review!

I don't know why, but I was just really drawn to Rhys in ACOTAR."

Omg I was pretty much in love with Rhys from the moment he showed up in AC..."

right?! I love Rhys. Even though he was a jerk in ACOTAR.

Hannah Hout  (writealittle_readalittle) Am I the only one who imagine Rhys with blue skin? And Cassian and Az with grayish skin? In ACOMAF?

Adele Hannah wrote: "Am I the only one who imagine Rhys with blue skin? And Cassian and Az with grayish skin? In ACOMAF?"

I imagined Rhys to be more of a pale skin tone with hair so dark it had a blue sheen to it. And I imagined Cassian with honeyed skin who had light-ish brown hair. Azriel with darker skin and black hair.

I think we all imagined those three differently! :)

message 28: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary (contrary-mary) This book was great! I finally got around to reading it last week and then immediately had to read the sequel! Which was even better! (We should start a chat about that maybe?) Tamlin definitely started to get on my nerves after a while and I was drawn to Rhysand pretty early on. I feel like having read the second one now I can't say much here about the first without spoiling ACOMAF.

Adele Yes! I'll open one soon :)

message 30: by Kai (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kai (runicrhymes) Am I the only one who didn't really like Tamlin OR Rhysand? I just saw territorial/creepy qualities in both of them, so I didn't find them appealing as love interests. Rhysand was more interesting to me as a character, though. (And my favorite character was definitely Lucien!)

Adele I didn't like Rhysand at all in this first book, but warmed up to him nearing the end. However, I definitely fell under Tamlin's spell throughout ACOTAR. And Lucien was absolutely one of my favourite characters in this novel. Lucien is so awesome!