Books2Movies Club discussion

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #1)
Monthly Reads > Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zeljka (new) - added it

Zeljka (ztook) | 2801 comments Mod
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs became an instant hit when it came out in 2011, an interesting combination of young adult fiction, horror and dark fantasy, using effectively photographs together with the narrative.
The movie is coming out this September (hopefully). It has a terrific cast and the director is, quite appropriately, Tim Burton. Still three months away, so we have a plenty of time to peruse the book before rushing to the theaters!
You are welcome to comment whatever you wish about the book or about the movie. Freely add questions for discussions, your thoughts and impressions. Just do not forget to add spoiler tags if you think that might ruin the reading to the others :)

Book Vamp Jade Williams (honey01) | 24 comments Just read the finished reading this, I'm not the fence about it. I enjoyed it but at the same time was annoyed by some things.

Ariana | 1 comments I loved this book! So much so I'm reading the trilogy. I felt the second was even better because you already knew the characters. I'm about a third of the way through the third book and although it's still an interesting story, I feel Ransom Riggs lost me a bit because the pictures aren't as convincing.

I cannot wait to see this movie and recommend the book to all my friends.

message 4: by Sam (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sam (buchflimmern) I felt the narration style didn't really fit the gloomy setting of the book, so that the pieces didn't make a whole for me. But it was an enjoyable read, not scary.
One thing that really bugged me though was that (view spoiler)
Now I'm actually looking forward to the film. It appears to make use of the book's motifs in a sensible way without just paraphrasing the story word by word.

Book Vamp Jade Williams (honey01) | 24 comments Sam wrote: "I felt the narration style didn't really fit the gloomy setting of the book, so that the pieces didn't make a whole for me. But it was an enjoyable read, not scary.
One thing that really bugged me ..."

Completely agree with you Sam. I also had problems with these things as well as what was hunting the children. Here were children, who were in fact adults with great abilities and they could do nothing to defend themselves...

Alana (alanasbooks) | 730 comments Mod
The story was ok, but it certainly did not live up to all the hype I've heard about it. I got to the end feeling glad it was over and with no interest to continue following Jacob's adventures and see how it all turns out. And I DEFINITELY don't want to see all of that on film, I would have nightmares!