The Novella Club discussion

Group reads > The Man Who Planted Trees - June 2016 (spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 2166 comments Mod
The Man Who Planted Trees by Jean Giono The Man Who Planted Trees by Jean Giono

Let the discussion begin...

I just finished this - it's really more a short story - but it was certainly inspirational. What did you think?

message 2: by Buck (new)

Buck (spectru) | 568 comments Not at all what I expected. It's short - and surprising. In two parts: the first is the story of the man who planted trees, and the second is the story of The Man Who Planted Trees. The first part was not what I expected, and the second part was not what I expected either, and the second part made the first part not what I thought I hadn't expected.

I wouldn't dare give it away.

Delightful.

message 3: by Phil (new)

Phil Jensen | 70 comments It was okay.

At the end of my copy, the publisher states that they don't know who the translator was, and asks the translator to identify him or herself in order to get credit. Did the translator ever come forward? What do your copies say?

message 4: by Buck (new)

Buck (spectru) | 568 comments My Kindle edition was translated by Barbara Bray

www.randomhouse.co.uk
This edition first published in 1995 by The Harvill Press
2 Aztec Row, Berners Road London N1 0PW

www.harvill-press.com

Afterword copyright © Aline Giono, 1975
L’Homme qui Plantait des Arbres copyright
Copyright © Editions Gallimard, 1980
English translation copyright © Barbara Bray, 1995
Wood engravings copyright © Harry Brockway, 1995

message 5: by Phil (new)

Phil Jensen | 70 comments My edition is completely different. The engravings are by Mike McCurdy, the afterward is by Norma L. Goodrich, and the publisher is Chelsea Green ('85).

In the afterward, Goodrich describes a meeting with Giono shortly before his death. He generously handed her a pile of his unpublished papers. She also mentions that he embodied the spirit of the story by allowing it to be published for free.

message 6: by Buck (new)

Buck (spectru) | 568 comments Phil wrote: "My edition is completely different. The engravings are by Mike McCurdy, the afterward is by Norma L. Goodrich, and the publisher is Chelsea Green ('85).

In the afterward, Goodrich describes a meet..."

Hmm. Odd that the afterword in two editions would be different. It was the afterword by Aline Giono, Jean Giono's daughter, that made the book for me. Amazon.com lists both as authors of the book.