2-3-4 Challenge discussion

Archives - Monthly Reading Plans > Veronica's June 2016 Reading Plan

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronica (last edited Jun 29, 2016 06:58AM) (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments BoTM:
The Aeronaut's Windlass ☆☆☆
City of the Lost
Six of Crows

Group Reads:
Where Shadows Dance ☆☆☆☆☆- sixth in series
Grave Peril - third in series

Maybe List:
The Concrete Blonde - third in series
England Expects ☆☆☆- third in series
Brighter Than the Sun☆☆ - 8.5 in series
The Dirt on Ninth Grave ☆☆☆ - ninth in series
The September Society ☆☆☆ - second in series
Stalking Ivory ☆☆☆ - second in series
Loyalty - first in series
Death at Wentwater Court - first in series
One Grave Too Many - first in series
His Majesty's Dragon - first in series
✔☊Mort☆☆☆

Carry-over:
The Last Mile - second in series
The Innocent☆☆☆☆ - first in series
Retribution Falls - first in series

Mood Reads
Orphan X☆☆☆ 1/2
Age of Myth ☆☆☆
The Hammer and the Blade: An Egil & Nix Novel ☆☆☆
Borrowing Death ☆☆☆ - second in series
Skyborn ☆☆ - first in series

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 2440 comments Again, I have read or want to read most on your list! Have a great month :)

message 3: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 10429 comments Mod
Veronica, you have the most interesting titles and mix of them. Happy reading!

message 4: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments Kris and Jonetta, I feel like I've been all over the place with my reading lately. lol

Stephanie, I had meant to get to The Last Mile last month but fell short. And I've been eyeing The Innocent forever!

message 5: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 974 comments I loved The Concrete Blonde. It is really good! I started reading this series when it first came out and love this series.

How are you liking the Charley Davidson series? I think Im one of the last ones to start this series.

Lol! I have the Six Of Crows on hold at the library for the ebook. There are lots of people ahead of me, so probably wont get to it until next month, unless I get lucky.

message 6: by Jonetta (new)

Veronica wrote: "Kris and Jonetta, I feel like I've been all over the place with my reading lately. lol

Stephanie, I had meant to get to The Last Mile last month but fell short. And I've been eyeing The Innocent f..."

Whatever works!

message 7: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments Mary wrote: "I loved The Concrete Blonde. It is really good! I started reading this series when it first came out and love this series.

How are you liking the Charley Davidson series? I think Im o..."

I like the Charley Davidson series. It's pretty funny. That said, a little of the humor goes a long way so it's one of the few series where it actually works better for me to space out my reading.

I'm a little wary of Six of Crows because YA usually isn't my thing but it came up as a BoTM in another group so I figured I'll give it a shot. Maybe. lol

message 8: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 974 comments I love YA Fantasy, I hope its awesome! I usually dont read a lot of YA but I did love the Hunger Games.

message 9: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments I'm sure there is some great YA out there. I'm raising a teenager though so I'm living through all the angsty issues that come with it. I don't necessarily want to read about it for my entertainment, lol. I have read some that I liked well enough, as long as there isn't the usual love triangle. That's usually a deal breaker for me.

message 10: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 974 comments I can understand! I dont care for the love triangle either.

message 11: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 4017 comments Mod
I enjoyed Beverly Connor's series. I'm on book #4. Need to get back to it.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 2440 comments Lauren wrote: "I enjoyed Beverly Connor's series. I'm on book #4. Need to get back to it."

I have had those on my list since the first one came out...geez, I need to get to it!

message 13: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments Lauren, you had originally recommended it to me in another group and I liked the sample I read but just wasn't able to get to it at the time. I recently picked up the mmp at a half-price bookstore so I'm looking forward to reading it in full.

message 14: by Veronica (last edited Jun 04, 2016 11:19AM) (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments Finished my reread of Where Shadows Dance - My original review, which I upped to five stars during a subsequent reading.

Also finished a novella in the Charley Davidson series, Brighter than the Sun - My review

message 15: by Jonetta (new)

Veronica wrote: "Finished my reread of Where Shadows Dance - My original review, which I upped to five stars during a subsequent reading...."

I'm loving it!

message 16: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments It's one of my favorite in the series, Jonetta.

message 17: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments Finished Orphan X - My review

message 18: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 4017 comments Mod
Veronica wrote: "Lauren, you had originally recommended it to me in another group and I liked the sample I read but just wasn't able to get to it at the time. I recently picked up the mmp at a half-price bookstore ..."

Ah yes. I remember. Hope you like it :0)

message 19: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments I finished Mort - My review

I also finished The Innocent, which I enjoyed so much more than Orphan X. My review

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 2440 comments Great review, Veronica. I have this on my list to read but will wait on it.

message 22: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had an accurate sense of what it was about and WHO it was about. It's more of an ensemble cast and, IMO, a lot of the focus is on the young people. I went in with very different expectations based on the cover and the blurb. Plus, I was just expecting something a little darker...not so much talking cats. lol

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 2440 comments Oh one of those...I might just pass on it then...talking cats are not really my thing either, lol.

message 24: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments Yeah, that really threw me, lol.

message 26: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments It did get the cat attitude right, I'll give it that. ;-)

message 27: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments Finished The September Society - three stars

message 28: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments Finished England Expects - three stars

message 29: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments Finished Six of Crows- three stars

message 30: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 974 comments Veronica wrote: "Finished Six of Crows- three stars"

Oh no! I was hoping it would be better thsn that. I am still waiting for my ebook from the library.

message 31: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 330 comments Veronica wrote: "Finished Six of Crows- three stars"

What did you not like about it and I'm curious if you liked the Grisha trilogy?

message 32: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments I liked it, Mary Beth and Delitealex. YA isn't my preferred genre but it's one of the better ones I've read. I did end up upping to 3.5 stars. Here's my review, which I just recently added.

I should also say that I consider three stars a good rating. It means I liked it and it's the most common rating I give out. I very rarely hand out five stars and almost never for first books in series (I figure I don't give the series anywhere to go after that). Even four star ratings are uncommon for me. So I think I'm just a lot more...frugal?...with my ratings, lol.

message 33: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 330 comments I consider 3 stars a good rating too :) I was just curious what you thought about it

message 34: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments Oh, I missed your question about the Grisha trilogy. I haven't read it but I don't think it's necessary to this book. It might have helped to grasp what Grisha are quicker but that's about it.

message 35: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments Finished Age of Myth - my review.

message 36: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments Finished The Hammer and the Blade: An Egil & Nix Novel - a quick and fun sword and sworcery book. 3 stars

And with that, I've completed a 36 book challenge for another group. Whew! That should clear up some reading space for the rest of the year.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 2440 comments That's awesome, Veronica!

message 38: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments Thanks, Kris. It was fun but I'm glad to be done. :-)

message 39: by Veronica (last edited Jun 29, 2016 06:53AM) (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments Finished Borrowing Death - 3 stars

Also finished Stalking Ivory - my review