What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. an alien Martian? is visiting earth and describes women

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine (new)

Christine Hankinson I think it dates from late 70's. I think it was written by a man. It was shockingly memorable (?) an Alien is shocked by some of the creatures wearing hobbling contraptions on feet - and are attached to contraptions (pushchairs) it was one of the most poetic feminist pieces of prose I have read. And I want to read it again!
I seemed to have it connected to Craig Raines Martian Sends A Postcard Home But I have checked that and I am sure it was prose not poetry. It was more thought experiment fiction than straight SF. Or shall we say literary SF. Hope someone has read it. Thank you

message 2: by Will (new)

Will | 56 comments It sounds a little bit like Stranger in a Strange Land. There's quite a lot of talking about women. do you remember if they talk about sharing water?

message 3: by Christine (new)

Christine Hankinson That title rings a bell thanks I'll check it out

message 4: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) At the Mouth of the River of Bees Stories by Kij Johnson

Short stories anthology maybe?

message 5: by Christine (new)

Christine Hankinson thanks GG I think short story is very likely. Checked Stranger in Strange Land. Will not that I'm afraid.
this was less trad SF...
the narators/visitors to the planet have no concept of women, they are just described as some kind of handicapped beings.... the female reader sees them as us.
purposely very harsh and radical. Pretty sure it was male writer which made it borderline misogynistic but I thought more like a wakeup call. Kind of thing Martin Amis might write - but I have checked.
So think it was short story...the ones in the excellent collection are I think too late. I was a student at the time 1980 ish?

I want to publish a postcard against high heels and thought an extract would be ideal (or not, first find the thing!)

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37804 comments Mod
Christine left the group. Moving to Abandoned.