Thomas Jefferson Education a book a week for the next year discussion

May Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Celeste (new)

Celeste Batchelor (celestebatchelor) | 27 comments Yeah! A new month is here. What are you reading?

I am taking on Mother Carey's Chickens to my list of current reads. I finished Little Lord Fauntleroy. I also read a short book of verse that I thought was Mother Carey's Chickens...it was something else entirely.

I am still reading Increase Your Financial IQ (Rich Dad, Poor Dad series) with my son, United States History: An LDS Perspective book A, and Life of Fred Beginning Algebra as part of my son's school. Add that I'm plugging away at The Real George Washington and The Out-of-Sync Child and I think I have enough books to keep me occupied.

message 2: by Sara (new)

Sara (homeschoolsara) Oh thank you! I was just about to post a May thread.

I was supposed to be reading Mother Carey (and was 4 chapters in) when some of the ladies in Land of Storybooks decided to add it to a summer "Homemaking" read-along. I was enjoying it so much that I almost didn't put it down but my pile is pretty deep right now and I decided that it would keep.

Between 7 Keys, Land of Storybooks: Gene Stratton-Porter and Mentoring in the Classics, I am swimming in reading. I love the challenge and am giving my Audible account a work out!

Still plugging through The Paideia Program. It is something I like to just let simmer in the background, reading 1 chapter at time and letting the ideas sink in.

I am trying to decide if I am going to keep up with John Adams or set it aside. I absolutely love it but feel like I am not giving it my best effort while I am doing so much studying for 7 Keys.

Two Gentlemen of Verona is on my list for this week.

I am devouring Gene Stratton Porter right now. I was scheduled to read Girl of the Limberlost, Song of the Cardinal, The Harvester and Keeper of the Bees during May. I got done with Robin Hood early and so I read Girl at the end of April. It was outstanding. One of my top ten books. Very powerful and relevant to me. The Song of the Cardinal was sweet and endearing. I am half way through The Harvester and like it very well. Not as much as Girl or Freckles but very well anyway.

I am re-reading Leadership Education: Phases of Learning for 7 Keys, Level II. I am just switching over to The Student Whisperer this week.

I did not join Mentoring in the Classics in time to read Pride with everyone, but I am going to read it (for the 4 billionth time) this month for Seven Keys and will use the materials from MIC as well.

The kids and I are loving Pinocchio. We have a beautiful edition which is a compilation of all of the best illustrations from various Pinocchio books. It is a feast for the eyes as well as the mind. We continue to laugh our way through Life of Fred and Mathematicians Are People Too is a wonderful way to make our evenings inspirational and exciting.

message 3: by Linette (new)

Linette | 13 comments I've been stalking since January but not actually written anything.

With picture books, read Alouds and scripture I've surprised myself and found that I'm well above 30 books already this year.

I never thought of creating an actual "want to reading list. I kind of just work my way through whatever pops up next.

Reading for May then. I'm currently in my I don't know what number reading of LE The phases of learning. I've been in avoidance of two Gentlemen of Verona for the last two weeks. Les Mis I'm in the middle of Fantines love affair. Just finished reading Seven Daughters and Seven Sons as a read aloud and going to start Shadow Spinner. Reading aloud Laddie with my husband and daughter (nearly finished). Need to think about something I want to read for me.

message 4: by Linette (new)

Linette | 13 comments How has everyone's May reading gone? Did you get done what you wanted? I surprised myself again. Not in how much I read but in the actual depth I got.

message 5: by Rachelle (new)

Rachelle | 10 comments I listened to At the Earth's Core by Edgar Rice Burroughs. It was really interesting how different that was from his Tarzan books, and yet I picked up on some similarities. Since I read some Tarzan recently too, it was interesting to think about the role of man/husband as protector as he wrote about it. Very different from how men act today and how women act or react to that.

I read The Two Gentlemen of Verona, but I need to re-read it. I read The False Prince trilogy--The False Prince, The Runaway King, The Shadow Throne. That's all I can think of, but it's weird because I've always got something in front of me so I feel like I've read so much more than that.