Ampersand Book Club discussion

Sister
This topic is about Sister
Book Discussions > Book 6 | Sister | Mystery + Thriller

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lisa (mlliu) | 167 comments Next book up for discussion is Sister by Rosamund Lupton.

Lisa (mlliu) | 167 comments I'd never heard of this book or author before it was suggested for book club. A friend not in book club had given it two stars (the same friend who had given Replay five stars and considered it one of his favorite books). Despite my doubts, I ended up really enjoying the book. I was eager to find out whodunnit, but the book's strength is in Lupton's portrayal of Bee and Tess's relationship. Maybe I liked it so much because I could identify with Bee, her need for order and the way this tragedy upsets her worldview. Not all the characters are sympathetic, but they seemed very real, and I could empathize with them.

I suspect people who do not like the book either find the characters irritating or think there wasn't much of a mystery. (view spoiler)

Taryn (taryn_fry) | 169 comments I liked the story a lot, and I definitely didn't see the whodunit coming. The only part I didn't like was the fact that the whole book was written like a letter, and that it kept jumping back and forth. Overall a good quick read

Lindsey (liinukka) | 185 comments I liked it! The mystery unfolds much like you'd expect in a tv show, one lead followed by another. Many red herrings.

I think the only thing that annoyed me about it was the fact that she was writing it from the end, so she could smugly sit there while in the know the whole time. You just wanna yell "out with it already!"

I think the suspense would be much greater if the narrator was discovering the facts the same time as the reader.

I liked the twist ending. (view spoiler)

message 5: by Angela (new) - added it

Angela (anreads) | 54 comments I went into this right after reading The Maze Runner, which I had a big problem with because of the way it handled dramatic tension. Too much information was being withheld from the reader for no great reason. So Sister really just blew me away with how well the tension is done! Yeah, writing from the end is kind of a cheap way to go about things; but at the same time, I was hooked for the majority of the story without feeling impatient about when more would be revealed.

message 6: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue Arnold | 29 comments Ok, since I recommended this book to the group, I'm starting it! Sorry I've been so undependable! Glad you all liked it!