Jane Austen discussion

Northanger Abbey
This topic is about Northanger Abbey
Austen on Film > Best Northanger Film Version?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Holly Mascaro (birdbrainbooks) (birdbrainbooks) | 48 comments Ok everyone - I've never seen a Northanger Abbey adaptation - which is the best rated/which should I check out? Thanks!

Dia  Elot  | 18 comments i watched the 2007 movie and i pretty much like it. the characters are really well chosen and each one fits into place

Sophie | 1458 comments There are only two I am aware of. 2007 and a 1986 version. I have but haven't watched the older version yet I have seen and really like the 2007 version - well worth a watch!

Holly Mascaro (birdbrainbooks) (birdbrainbooks) | 48 comments Awesome! And that include any BBC miniseries?? Not sure if they did any for it.

Sophie | 1458 comments I believe both 2007 and 1986 are film length not series (2007 certainly is a film) but 2007 one was done by Andrews Davis who did the iconic 1995 series of P&P :)

Lorraine (saanichlori) | 48 comments I've seen both and I much prefer the 2007 film with JJ Feild.

Ceri | 68 comments I haven't seen the older one but the 2007 one is FANTASTIC

Louise Sparrow (louisex) | 300 comments The 2007 version is definitely the best one, though they make more of The Monk than The Mysteries of Udolpho.

Having read Mrs Radcliffe's famous novel I can't say I blame them in the slightest. :)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 84 comments I love Felicity Jones as Catherine(2007). I think
1986 is rather odd. Still, it does have Robert
Hardy as Gen Tilney. I believe it's on YouTube.
Group watch??? Anyone??? Cue the crickets!

Samanta   (almacubana) | 61 comments The older version is very dark, and Catherine is portrayed like a total dumbwit (don't know if this is an actual word but I did hear it somewhere :D), while she is just a bit silly in 2007 version. Oh, yeah, and Mr. Tilney uses drugs in the older version. But I did like the last scene...it was very erotic (for those of you who like that) and they just kissed. :)

AlegnaB † (alegnab) Holly,

Have you watched one yet? I just checked my IMDB ratings on NA. I gave the 2007 version a rating of 8, but I gave the 1987 version (the date according to IMDB and the back of the case for the disc I own) a rating of 3. The only thing I remember about the 1987 version is that it was awful. I own it only because it came in a complete old BBC Jane Austen set that I got for Christmas.

message 12: by Ceri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ceri | 68 comments I have the 1980s version on DVD but not watched it yet... Doesn't sound like I've got a treat in store!

Sophie | 1458 comments I have it and haven't watched it yet either!

Samanta   (almacubana) | 61 comments Don't judge it before you see it. Maybe you'll like it. :) If nothing else, watch it for comparison. You have to remember those were different times and things were adapted more freely (remember the 1940's Pride&Prejudice :D ). Also, I think they wanted to pronounce that feeling of mistery rather than the actual story.

AlegnaB † (alegnab) Samanta wrote: "...You have to remember those were different times and things were adapted more freely (remember the 1940's Pride&Prejudice..."

BBC had already done several Jane Austen productions that were quite faithful to the books (e.g. 1980 Pride and Prejudice, 1983 Mansfield Park), so I don't know why they did such a bad job with NA. The 1940 P&P was nothing like the book, but is was made by Hollywood.

If I had the NA 1987 version and had never seen it, I would watch it, even though so many people don't like it. I watch every production of a Jane Austen book that I can find. Since you probably have low expectations for it now, maybe you'll like it better than you think you will. :-) You still should watch the 2007 version. Check your local public library. Netflix has it on disc.

Samanta   (almacubana) | 61 comments I watched the 2007 version and have it on DVD. I love it and prefer it over 1987 version. I just stated that the two versions were very differently made and that ladies here, that did not watch it, should do it just to see the difference. :)

O always tend to make my own opinion even though I keep in mind what others have told me. :)

message 17: by Ceri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ceri | 68 comments I think it's very true that adaptations were done differently in the 80s and it's likely that I won't think it's great, just because the 2007 is so good and so it'll suffer by comparison. I plan to reread NA this summer, so I'll read first and then watch :)

Sophie | 1458 comments I will of course watch it regardless! I have to watch them all...
P&P - 1940 1980 1995 2005
S&S - 1971 1981 1995 2008
Emma - 1972 1996 1996 2009
MP - 1983 1999 2007
NA - 1986 2007
Persuasion - 1960 1995 2007 :)

Samanta   (almacubana) | 61 comments I have to watch some of those too :)

Sophie | 1458 comments I have seen the majority of them :) I own the all but have yet to watch a few of the older ones -
Some of those were hard to track down!

message 21: by Ceri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ceri | 68 comments I have most of them, except the oldest Persuasion, but like you Soph, haven't watched them all yet.

Samanta   (almacubana) | 61 comments Don't know if I'll be able to find the older versions. I live in Croatia after all. :/ Maybe torrent has them :)

AlegnaB † (alegnab) I've been looking at the info at IMDB for the 1980 P&P, 1983 MP, 1981 S&S, 1972 Emma, 1971 Persuasion, and 1987 NA. BBC was a production company for all except Persuasion, and that was produced by Granada Television, which also produced the excellent Sherlock Holmes series starring Jeremy Brett. A&E Television Networks was a production company only for NA. A&E appears to be the only American production company used for any of the group made during the 1970's-1980's. Perhaps that's part of the reason NA is so bad (They only distributed and aired the excellent 1995 P&P and didn't have any part in making it). Then again, they didn't write it, and the writer would be most responsible for how bad a movie is, unless s/he was required to write it a certain way. Ugh. The writer of that NA also wrote the dreadful 2007 MP; that explains why that MP was so awful.

Ceri wrote: "I think it's very true that adaptations were done differently in the 80s and it's likely that I won't think it's great..."

I think all done in that era, except for NA, were done well and are quite faithful to the books (although that S&S omitted Margaret Dashwood). However, the production quality is not good. The cameras used for the outdoor scenes were of poor quality, so the images are not sharp.

Samanta wrote: "I watched the 2007 version and have it on DVD. I love it and prefer it over 1987 version. I just stated that the two versions were very differently made and that ladies here, that did not watch it,..."

Samanta,

In message 15 I was writing primarily to Ceri and Soph, since they had both said that they have it but hadn't seen it. I should have addressed it to them, since it was confusing because I also quoted you and responded to what you wrote. That's what I get for trying to get my comments written and posted during TV advertisements.

Soph wrote: "I will of course watch it regardless! I have to watch them all... "

That's the way I am. I've seen:

Pride & Prejudice: 1940, 1980, 1995, 2005
Sense and Sensibility: 1971, 1981, 1995, 2008
Emma: 1972, 1996, 1996, 2009
MP: 1983, 1999, 2007
NA: 1987, 2007
Persuasion: 1971, 1995, 2007

I own 14 of them. I'm sure I'll watch whichever new ones come out and buy any that I think are excellent.

Sophie | 1458 comments That is the same as me then!! I have all 14 of them as well!!

Sophie | 1458 comments Wait, retract that, I have all 20 of them, but haven't seen them all yet!

Samanta   (almacubana) | 61 comments LOL, Alegnab :D

Louise Sparrow (louisex) | 300 comments I have all but the '99 MP and I have seen that too.

The '87 NA is not so bad that I would say don't watch it, it's just overly vulgar. But it does something amazing, it makes The Mysteries of Udolpho look interesting ;)

message 28: by Ceri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ceri | 68 comments I've been meaning to read The Mysteries of Udolpho for years, due to the references to it in other books. Is it that bad?

Louise Sparrow (louisex) | 300 comments It is possibly the most boring book I've ever read.

1200 pages of description of the 'Sylvan Mountains' between France and Austria and a main character that faints at everything.

message 30: by Ceri (last edited May 30, 2014 02:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ceri | 68 comments Oh dear! I am not a fan of scenery descriptions ;)

Stephen (zumbinis) | 13 comments Alegnab wrote: "I've been looking at the info at IMDB for the 1980 P&P, 1983 MP, 1981 S&S, 1972 Emma, 1971 Persuasion, and 1987 NA. BBC was a production company for all except Persuasion, and that was produced by ..."

I did not realize there were so many Austen book movie adoptions. I have seen the 70s Era BBC ones in a boxed set and separately, but, except perhaps for Persuasion, I don't believe I've watched more than a few minutes of any of them. My favorites, which moved me to read and reread the novels, are the 1995 P&P and Persuasion. Jennifer Ehle as Lizzy Bennett and Amanda Root as Anne Elliott, respectively, and the actress who plays Jane in the former (who's name I do not remember). Sigh... Sigh... Sigh.... So wonderful and memorable to watch.

Denisa Dellinger | 44 comments I think there are only two and neither of them really stay on plot. I liked the older A&E version. I liked the actors better.

Tatiana | 3 comments I think the 2007 one with JJ Field is great.

message 34: by Noe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Noe Ceri wrote: "Oh dear! I am not a fan of scenery descriptions ;)"

I feel the same way about scenery descriptions except for one book, and though it may make me sound rather juvenile, it is Anne of Green Gables.

message 35: by Ceri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ceri | 68 comments I think L M Montgomery is good at striking the balance of adding scenery to help you picture things, but not giving you so much that you find yourself skipping it. Anne of Green Gables is one of my favourite books, Noe :)

ᏒIᎪlᎥstᎥc (rialistic) | 40 comments Obviously 2007, I loved it!

message 37: by Ceri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ceri | 68 comments Funnily enough, I plan to do some Northanger Abbey watching this week. I am stuck in a chair recuperating and it seems a good opportunity to see those DVDs you never get round to watching. I have the 1980s BBC version, which I've never seen, and the J J Feild/Felicity Jones one, which I've seen before, so I know I'll enjoy that one at least!

Louise Sparrow (louisex) | 300 comments Hope you feel better soon Ceri!

message 39: by Ceri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ceri | 68 comments Thank you Louise! I dislocated and fractured my hip playing netball so it had to be pinned back together and now I have to heal. I'm sticking with reading in future, much safer!

Louise Sparrow (louisex) | 300 comments Ouch! Well I hope you enjoy your video watching too...

I think the 80's NA is worth watching, just not very good. It does make the Mysteries of Udolpho look exciting though which is an achievement in itself ;)

message 41: by Ceri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ceri | 68 comments I'm hoping to watch 80s NA tomorrow, as long as I get somebody to cue it up for me, as I can't bend down to put a DVD in!

message 42: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Sep 21, 2018 02:50PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 169 comments I just finished watching NA with Felicity Jones as Catherine. I’m sure that I bought this adaptation on a recco in this group.

The casting was excellent. I’m completely unfamiliar with the actors, but Ms Jones was just as I imagined Catherine to be. I liked JJ Field as my beloved Henry Tilney as well. However, the actress who was cast as Eleanor Tilney, looked too old for the part. I realize Miss Tilney is a little older than Catherine, but that actress looked to be far into her 20s.

Obviously, certain things were altered in order to make certain things comprehensible for casual viewers of the film (mass audience).

Very nice. I liked it very well. Since I own the dvd, I’m sure I’ll watch it again.

message 43: by Lucy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lucy Bennet (lucybennet) | 1 comments I read the book but i never see any adaptation

QNPoohBear | 579 comments I think there's only 2 and only 1 that matters in terms of actually being an adaptation of the novel. J.J. Feild is a dishy Henry Tilney, very charming and Felicity Jones is a sweet Catherine. Carey Mulligan is Isabella.

message 45: by Beth-In-UK (new)

Beth-In-UK | 849 comments There was one on UK TV years ago which I scarcely remember except for something about the characters floating around in the open air hot water Roman baths in Bath! The only scene that stuck with me! (I think it must have been really filmed at the real baths too!)

message 46: by Beth-In-UK (new)

Beth-In-UK | 849 comments "Obviously, certain things were altered in order to make certain things comprehensible for casual viewers of the film (mass audience)."

That's the challenge for all of Austen's works, isn't it? That they have to be 'mixed ability' in respect of their audiences - pleasing the expert aficionado Janeites, as well as all the newbies! Tricky to pull off!

(AND resist the temptation to 'update' to modern concerns, eg, the ghastly 'anti-slavery' version of Mansfield Park - with the slave ship moored off the south coast etc!) (ghastly for hugely more than that, of course!)

(AND get the British class system right as well - like not having pigs running loose at Longbourn as in the Keira Knightley P and P)

QNPoohBear | 579 comments Beth-In-UK wrote: "There was one on UK TV years ago which I scarcely remember except for something about the characters floating around in the open air hot water Roman baths in Bath! The only scene that stuck with me..."

1986 BBC film available on DVD and Amazon
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091649/

That was the only good scene in the film. It got points from me being filmed in Bath but otherwise more closely resembled one of Catherine's horrid novels. I don't think the screenwriter understood satire!

message 48: by Kirk (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 84 comments QNPoohBear wrote: "Beth-In-UK wrote: "There was one on UK TV years ago which I scarcely remember except for something about the characters floating around in the open air hot water Roman baths in Bath! The only scene..."

I think Wishbone did a better job with NA than 1986! :)

QNPoohBear | 579 comments Kirk wrote: "I think Wishbone did a better job with NA than 1986! :)."

I've heard Wishbone is good for learning history but I've never seen the show! I don't think my cousins ever watched it. I'm not even sure what on earth they were thinking when they made that BBC adaptation in 1986. It's certainly NOT Jane Austen. I did like the Bath filming locations. That's why I checked it out of the library in the first place because I saw clips of it at the Assembly Rooms in Bath. Sadly, the Assembly Rooms and the Baths are the very best part of this production.

My dad keeps changing and then forgetting his Google password so I can't ChromeCast anything from Amazon right now until he figures it out. I am eager to watch some of the other, older BBC adaptations. (We don't have a new enough TV to have an Amazon app. Sony took it away as the TV got older. )

message 50: by Kirk (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 84 comments QNPoohBear wrote: "Kirk wrote: "I think Wishbone did a better job with NA than 1986! :)."

I've heard Wishbone is good for learning history but I've never seen the show! I don't think my cousins ever watched it. I'm ..."

The episodes are on YouTube. Pup Fiction (NA) and Furst Impressions(P&P) certainly are...those are the only two I've watched.

« previous 1