Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3) Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban discussion

Trelawney

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by sim (new) - rated it 5 stars

sim Oh. My. God. I was going through the latest edition of the Reader's Digest and found out that Sibyl which is Trelawney's name means 'fortune teller' :O The Queen strikes again! That woman is seriously amazing <3

message 2: by Daisy (last edited May 09, 2014 08:25AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Daisy Really? That's awesome! I've said it a million times before, but J.K. Rowling is a genius. Period.

Anna Isn't there a legend about a fortune-teller who was cursed so no one would believe her prophesies? I believe Trelawney is descended from this seer. . .

message 4: by sim (new) - rated it 5 stars

sim Eliza wrote: "Isn't there a legend about a fortune-teller who was cursed so no one would believe her prophesies? I believe Trelawney is descended from this seer. . ."

Yeah I think her name was Cassandra and Trelawney's grandmother's name was Cassandra too O.o It truly is mind-boggling, isn't it? *_*

Daisy Yeah, it was Cassandra who was cursed. Was she her Grandmother? I thought she was a more distant relation like great-Grandmother.

Stevie Possibly. I've never stopped to consider this, but this is some really neat information.

message 7: by Sorrel (last edited May 16, 2014 12:08PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sorrel It's really quite amazing when you read the books again and you start to notice all these little details and things that link throughout the whole series. So intricate!

Daisy Agreed.

Tompopaageo She's amazing. Sirius is the brightest star in the night sky in the constellation of Canis Major which translates as Greater Dog (his animagus is a large dog).

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, Rowling's naming conventions are pretty in-the-face with some and slightly more obscure with others. I love it. I actually did a write-up about the names of most of the characters and wanted to put it up somewhere.

Daisy Yeah, I love it how Snape's name means something about never knowing where you're standing . . . something like that, because you never know if you can trust him. Your write-up sounds cool Sebastian, wish I could see it. :)

James Penn Yeah, as someone who has studied a good bit of Greek and Latin, as well as ancient history, this was one of the best part of the books for me. The spells are fun, too, if you know a little bit of Latin. :)

St. Erika (NotAnEarlyBird) Tompopaageo wrote: "She's amazing. Sirius is the brightest star in the night sky in the constellation of Canis Major which translates as Greater Dog (his animagus is a large dog)."

Serius's brother, Regullus, and Bellatrix are also named after stars. Regullus is a star in the constellation of Leo and Bellatrix in the constellation of Orion. I think that I had read somewhere that Rowling had named most of the Black family members after stars and constellations.

message 14: by TheBohemianBookworm (last edited Aug 14, 2014 03:48PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

TheBohemianBookworm Nightlock wrote: "Oh. My. God. I was going through the latest edition of the Reader's Digest and found out that Sibyl which is Trelawney's name means 'fortune teller' :O The Queen strikes again! That woman is seriou..."

Cassandra was a daughter of Priam king of Troy. She was cursed by Apollo when she spurned him that she would have the gift of prophecy but that no one would believe her words. Sybil is the ancient name of oracles who told prophecies at Delphi in Ancient Greece. She is a genius and very clever for sure.

Gianna Mmm interesting!

message 16: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 17, 2014 07:31PM) (new)

This is one of my favorite parts of the books, too. You don't even need to know any other languages to pick up on a lot of these things. A lot of English words are similar to words in other languages because of their shared roots. Look at "Lumos". Sounds like "illuminate". To turn on a light. "Incendio", the fire-making spell. What words sort of sound like that? Incinerate. Incensed (enraged). Cinders. Of course, it's even more entertaining if you do have some other languages and history, as well. (I only know a very small amount from various languages, but it's enough to pick up on a lot of these things.)

To me, this is just one of many ways JKR's genius shows through in her writing.