The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > New Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Feature Film (Reboot) Announced

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jacob (last edited May 07, 2014 07:18AM) (new)

Jacob Lawrence | 60 comments Growing up I was a huge fan of Power Rangers, and I'm sure many of the individuals that frequent this group were as well. This morning it was announced that Haim Saban is partnering with Lionsgate to possibly reboot the original series in movie form.

The announcement isn't necessarily surprising. Last year Jason David Frank (better known as Tommy from the original stateside series) revealed that he had been pitching a PG-13 Green Ranger film to Haim Saban, and they were in serious talks to get it started. Now, seemingly, we may be getting that movie with the original incarnation being re-imagined for a new generation of viewers. No further details will be announced, but Lionsgate is super excited to be able to produce/distribute this new take on the longstanding series.

How do you guys feel about this? Is it cool? Are you just tired of reboots?

message 2: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments If they make a theatrical film, will they use fight scenes from the Super Sentai movies, or original special effects? If the latter, they shouldn't call it Power Rangers.

message 3: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 488 comments But will Bryan Cranston be playing one of the villains?

message 4: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Perry (dylan-perry) Paul 'Pezski' wrote: "But will Bryan Cranston be playing one of the villains?"

We can only hope.

message 5: by Mark (new)

Mark Catalfano (cattfish) Heh I remember that show

message 6: by Wilmar (new)

Wilmar Luna (wilmarluna) | 241 comments I gotta say, though I've long since outgrown Power Rangers, I'm pretty stoked that they're bringing it back for a new generation of viewers.

Power Rangers was one of my huge inspirations for writing my book series The Silver Ninja. (Well that and Gray Fox from Metal Gear.)

I'm also not ashamed to admit that I had a HUGE crush on the Pink Power Ranger Kimberly (Amy Jo Johnson). I just thought she was the best.

I'm definitely very curious to see what they're going to do with this series to bring it back.

message 7: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Lawrence | 60 comments Sean wrote: "If they make a theatrical film, will they use fight scenes from the Super Sentai movies, or original special effects? If the latter, they shouldn't call it Power Rangers."

As far as I know they are going to use original effects and fight sequences, made for this film in particular. I don't think that is a big deal, truly, but I can see where you are coming from.

I'm pretty excited for it, to a certain degree, but I'm going to wait and see before I let the hype start to grow for me.

message 8: by Aj (new)

Aj Muller | 7 comments I corrupted my younger sister on the older power rangers and convinced her that the new ones suck. really excited to see what they do with this. finally show the younger generation how cool kid shows use to be

message 9: by Robert (new)

Robert (rfox131) | 30 comments Hollywood has become the "cut and paste" capital for movie ideas. I am truly worn out on reboots and respond.

message 10: by Rasnac (new)

Rasnac | 336 comments Exactly my thoughts. Can't any script writer or director come up with an original idea anymore?

message 11: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Lawrence | 60 comments To some degree I am actually fine with this being rebooted because it can benefit from modern technology and the advances we've made in special effects. Certainly it would be nice for them to come up with something new and exciting, maybe just a series devoted entirely for the big screen, but I think this can be good.