Independent Thinkers discussion

The God Question

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steven (new)

Steven Orlowski (stevenorlowski) | 6 comments Mod
So what do you think about God? Is there one? If you believe so, why? If not, why not? It seems that as science advances our knowledge of the universe, particularly in physics and cosmology, so does it open the window for the possibility of a creator, or intelligent design, or maybe something outside the scope of human understanding.

message 2: by A.J. (new)

A.J. Smith (ajsmith23) | 3 comments Throughout the rich and ever-evolving tapestry of human existence, every mystery ever solved - from what that ball of fire in the sky is to the age of the earth - has turned out to not be magic. I am confident that, as science and reason unveils more of our world, each new answer will turn out to not be magic.
Not knowing a thing is a poor reason to belief in a revealed answer. Wanting to know something is a brilliant reason for having and exchanging ideas.

"I don't know what happends when I die." Can lead to... "I'll believe this answer because I like it."

I prefer... "I'm interested in what happens when I die." This leads to... "Hey, man, like... what dya reckon happens when we die?"

Peace out.

AJS

message 3: by John (new)

John | 4 comments I see no logical reason to believe in a god, i believe in a random universe where there is no need for a god to explain anything. I imagine that the universe itself is probably one of many in a "sea" of universes. Do i believe that there are things about life and the universe that are beyond human understanding? I would have to say yes, we have evolved to be very successful on the planet earth but we are forced to interpret reality through our sense organs, which are finely adapted for everyday life, but are probably not the best tools for observing the universe, granted we can create tools, amazing tools for the purpose, but even then, we have to interpret the results through a brain which may not necessarily be the ultimate machine for decoding the mysteries of life and the universe.

message 4: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Leitch | 1 comments It's the very question with so many possible answers that in itself is so intriguing. Is God the Creator? Maybe God is the name of the common stuff that connects everything in the universe. What if God is merely the name of the entity or leader from a founding race and Heaven the name of the planet of origin? I love pursuing the possibilities and yet continue to pray to God and send thanks for a life filled with blessings. Perhaps in the end, it doesn't matter- it is the unknown that keeps us searching outside the limits of known "reason" or science and pushes us to think bigger and be better.