Bisky's Twitterling's Scribbles! discussion

All Things Writing > Inspiring places

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bisky (new)

Bisky Scribbles (bisky_scribbles) | 2536 comments Mod
If you haven't seen from all the spam. I've moved.

My writing desk is now opposite a small forest. It's quite refreshing to have all those treeses there when I look over my computer monitor.

Do you have inspirational places you go to recharge?

message 2: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 1053 comments Mod
I guess I'm lucky like you, I don't need to go anywhere to get inspirational. My view out the window is on a large natural pond surrounded by trees, bushes and a gazebo half hidden by the greenery.
A wonderful view all year round. :)

message 3: by Barry (new)

Barry | 9 comments I have something of a weird little ritual. I live in the moutnains of southern Virginia, so the view is amazing most of the time but it can become tedious.

So my ritual is this: every year when my family takes a vacation to the beach, I take at least one hour to myself in the afternoon to sit on the beach, listening to music and just staring out to the horizon. Seems simple, but this is literally where my best thinking comes from.

A shame it's only once a year...

message 4: by Bisky (new)

They both sound like amazing views though. I only had the windows of the next apartment facing me last time.

Apart from the occasional fat man with a lack of modesty, there wasn't that much happening.

message 5: by David (new)

David Grindberg | 28 comments Mine is not a place so much as it is an activity. I run. Running becomes a place of inspiration. It calms. It is a kind of retreat.

message 6: by Bisky (new)

Oh, I love running. I can't do it. But I wish I could. I think excerise is wonderful for writing. I should really tweet about that more, lol.

message 7: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Lawston (andrewlawston) | 41 comments I have an hour's round walk that I like to do, up to Hammersmith Bridge, down the river Thames to Barnes Bridge, through Barnes and then up the long road back to my flat.

Or the pub. The pub always works.

message 8: by David (last edited May 08, 2014 06:41AM) (new)

David Grindberg | 28 comments Good idea - maybe a run to the pub? hummm...

message 9: by Isabella (new)

Isabella Norse (isabellanorse) | 5 comments I go to the mountains to recharge. As a matter of fact, the hubby and I just got back from a week-long trip to the mountains of Virginia. It was wonderful; no cell service, no internet. Complete relaxation and hiking!

message 10: by Bisky (new)

I have to have internet :x It's abit of a problem.

message 11: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Lawston (andrewlawston) | 41 comments David wrote: "Good idea - maybe a run to the pub? hummm..."

A walk to the pub is not unheard of... then I do some writing in the pub to make me feel less guilty about it.

message 12: by Keair (new)

Keair Snyder | 17 comments Barry wrote: "I have something of a weird little ritual. I live in the moutnains of southern Virginia, so the view is amazing most of the time but it can become tedious.

So my ritual is this: every year when my..."

Your ritual sounds like a dream come true. I agree that it's a shame you can only do it once a year. It seems like such a relaxing, peaceful ritual. :)

message 13: by M.J. (new)

M.J. Mallon (kyrosmagica) | 26 comments One time I travelled to Brighton for a writing break. I went by myself. Stayed at a hotel. Wrote in cafes, and the library. Nights out at the theatre in the evening, attended events. It was wonderful. Would love to do it again. Other than that I write at home. It works well for me. Peace and quiet.

message 14: by Claire (new)

Claire (cycraw) | 278 comments Deb, if you have an audio app on your phone, you can talk into that. Just get the gist recorded. Then you can flesh it out when you get back.

message 15: by Michael (new)

Michael Cairns (michaelcairns) | 19 comments I don't seem to ever get recharge time, but I live in a house surrounded by fields and trees and it's all the lovely green space I need. :)

message 16: by Rick (new)

Rick Soper (RickSoper) | 169 comments I live in Central California, but never write about it. Instead I go visit my parents over near Monterey, sit on the beach in Carmel, walk on the wharf, and visit all those place I remember growing up. The trip always re-seats the thoughts and memories in my head and spurs me forward in whatever I'm writing at the moment. I also wrote about Bainbridge Island up near Seattle because it's a goal in the back of my head to someday have a house there, so i have lots of pictures from there to use as motivation.

message 17: by Carl (new)

Carl | 424 comments Lately, I've been writing my recliner that faces the tv and stairway. Truly lovely.