What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Books with concept similar to "Lolita"

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moloch (new)

Moloch | 271 comments Hello,

can you suggest me fiction books where the male protagonist is attracted to a much younger girl, even under age, so that his career/family are in jeopardy? Example: teacher/student

It can either be a romance where everything ends well and they live happily ever after, or more darker and serious books

Thank you

message 2: by Manua (new)

Manua (hipzania) You could try with Unteachable by Leah Raeder. It's the love story between Maisie, who just turned eighteen, and her 32-year-old teacher :) It doesn't have much to do with Lolita, though... In my opinion, it was very good, and nicely written, even though I'm not very fond of the genre.

message 3: by Moloch (last edited May 07, 2014 07:13AM) (new)

Moloch | 271 comments Oh, I mentioned "Lolita" just to give the basic idea of "forbidden attraction between adult man and teenage girl"

Thank you for the suggestion: I have some reserve for the NA genre too, but this one seems nice.

message 4: by bb. (new)

bb. (magnumopus) | 92 comments Innocents by Cathy Coote is a bit Lolita-ish.

message 5: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 441 comments You might be interested in The Giant's House by Elizabeth McCracken. "An unusual love story about a little librarian on Cape Cod and the tallest boy in the world, "The Giant's House" is the magical first novel from the author of the 1994 ALA Notable collection Here's Your Hat, What's Your Hurry.The year is 1950, and in a small town on Cape Cod twenty-six-year-old librarian Peggy Cort feels like love and life have stood her up. Until the day James Carlson Sweatt--the "over tall" eleven-year-old boy who's the talk of the town--walks into her library and changes her life forever. Two misfits whose lonely paths cross at the circulation desk, Peggy and James are odd candidates for friendship, but nevertheless they soon find their lives entwined in ways that neither one could have predicted. In James, Peggy discovers the one person who's ever really understood her, and as he grows--six foot five at age twelve, then seven feet, then eight--so does her heart and their most singular romance. "The Giant's House" is an unforgettably tender and quirky novel about learning to welcome the unexpected miracle, and about the strength of choosing to love in a world that gives no promises, and no guarantees."

message 6: by Liralen (new)

Liralen | 708 comments Belinda fits that, if I remember correctly.

message 7: by Feliks (last edited May 07, 2014 08:59AM) (new)

message 8: by Moloch (new)

Moloch | 271 comments Thank you all!

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

message 10: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited May 07, 2014 05:30PM) (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6980 comments Mod
These Old Shades (Historical romance) But I do love Georgette Heyer. She tells a very good story.

Then there is a follow up book to it called Devil's Cub.

message 11: by Anna (last edited May 12, 2014 10:51AM) (new)

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 393 comments Lo's Diary by Pia Pera from Lolita's point of view

and Roger Fishbite: A Novel by Emily Prager

message 12: by Michele (new)

Michele | 280 comments There is The Lover by Marguerite Duras about a 15 yr old girl in 1930s Indochina who has an affair with a 27 yr old Chinese man. It was made into a movie also.

message 13: by Lena (new)

Lena | 56 comments Gemma someone told me us the 'redneck lolita'.

White Chalk was very good.

message 14: by Lena (new)

Lena | 56 comments Petals in the Wind also.

message 15: by Scott (new)

Scott Nude Men: A Novel by Amanda Filipacchi (one of my favorite books ever)

Thomas Tessier's short story "The Last Crossing," which can be found in Hottest Blood and possibly elsewhere.

Steph (loves water) | 110 comments Beryl Bainbridge's Harriet Said:
http://www.amazon.com/Harriet-Said-Be...

message 17: by normal (new)

normal | 5 comments I never read it, but I believe An Education by Nick Hornby fits the profile.

message 18: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

message 20: by Moloch (new)

Moloch | 271 comments Thank you all for the suggestions: I'm taking notice :-)

message 21: by Kaion (last edited Sep 09, 2015 11:30AM) (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) | 391 comments Tampa is an updated Lolita with a female teacher and her middle-school age student.

The Fiend is a mid-century thriller that is sympathetic to the titular character.

The End of Everything is a more contemporary update of The Fiend that takes the POV of the teen.

message 22: by Anne (new)

Anne (butterflie0405) | 6 comments As Liralen said, Belinda, by Anne Rice, is definitely in the line of what you're thinking. I would recommend it highly. It is beautifully written, and (view spoiler).

message 23: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37562 comments Mod
Babyji is set in current day India.

message 24: by Kaion (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) | 391 comments The Children is set among wealthy expats of the 1920s.

message 25: by Natasha (new)

Natasha | 203 comments All the Ugly and Wonderful Things is about the friendship and later relationship between an older man and young girl and is an overall excellent read.

message 26: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

message 27: by Joseph (new)

Joseph (jobwoge) | 24 comments Summer of My German Soldier a young American girl and a German POW fall in love

message 28: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Dear Mr. M. High school teacher is about 30, student is about 17.

message 30: by Moloch (new)

Moloch | 271 comments Thank you for the suggestions!

message 32: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lost in the Forest. Seducer is 53, girl is 15.

message 33: by RabbitMilitia (new)

RabbitMilitia | 159 comments Maybe try Amy and Isabelle by Elizabeth Strout.