100 Books Challenge discussion

The Outsiders
This topic is about The Outsiders
Past Group Reads 2012-2014 > The Outsiders - May 20, 2014

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Martha (marthas48) | 830 comments Mod
Our group read for May 20-June 19 is The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton.

Is anyone interested in leading this discussion?

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 414 comments I just requested it from the library.

Since I nominated it, I'd be willing to lead the discussion.

Thanks, BC!! I'm going to try to hold off, but not sure I'll make it. :-)

message 4: by Teri-lynn, bOoKaHoLiC (new) - rated it 5 stars

Teri-lynn (bookworm31) | 184 comments Mod
Wahooooo!!!! Really excited!!! I love this book...I know it off by heart but I will read along!!!

message 5: by Bev (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bev (greenginger) | 137 comments I have also read it so cant wait to see everones views.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 414 comments Had hoped to get to this today, but will have to wait to start it until tomorrow.

I read the first chapter over the weekend, but am reading another now ... Hope to get to it later on. It's really good!

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 414 comments About half-way done. Gripping.

Did you find yourself drawn into the story? What was it about Ponyboy and the other characters that attracted (or repelled) you?

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 414 comments By the way, Martha .... our group main page still shows SCARLET FEATHER as the group read, with LITTLE WOMEN as coming up June 20. THE OUTSIDERS isn't shown at all.

message 10: by Martha (last edited May 21, 2014 12:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Corrected. I thought it would automatically change, but had to go in and change shelves myself. Will try to remember that next month. Am almost done with Peyton Place and will read this one next.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 414 comments Finished The Outsiders today. Will be back with more comments / review in a day or two.

message 12: by Teri-lynn, bOoKaHoLiC (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pony boy is one of my all time favorites because it just goes to show you that just because people have labels does not mean they are not good kind honest loving people! That could be said about all of them but Pony boy is my fav!!

message 13: by Martha (last edited May 25, 2014 03:18PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I love him!! I'm half way through & so glad we're reading it. Wonderful!

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 414 comments This book was first released when I was a junior in high school. Yet it was never on my reading list. We did have Catcher in the Rye assigned in high school. I hated it - thought Holden Caulfield was a whiny brat.

I wonder if I avoided The Outsiders because of my reaction to CitR?

Anyway, I'm sure glad I read it now. 5*****

It's a 5 star read for me, also. I read Catcher in the Rye in high school, too, but don't remember hating it. It wasn't like anything else I had ever read though. I don't usually hate books, but certainly have favorites.

The Outsiders is a favorite. It amazes me that it was written when the author was a teenager herself. She certainly had an understanding of her peers, but to have the talent and insight to put that understanding into words so well is quite a gift.

I love Ponyboy and his brothers. In that time, to be left together after their parents' death was unusual, I would think. Glad that Pony & Darry were able to work out their differences and understand each other.

Bob repelled me because of his repellant behavior, especially toward Johnny. And then learning of his back story created some sympathy. He and Johnny had something in common with their dysfunctional parents ... Johnny's extremely neglectful & Bob's overly permissive. Both resulted in very sad children who struggled emotionally & behaviorally because of them.

A heart-wrenching story that I will probably read again.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 414 comments Martha ... very good point about the similarities between Johnny's parents and Bob's parents - both neglect their children, but in different ways.

I probably picked up on that because I worked with at-risk youth and saw all types of bad parenting through the years. :-(

message 18: by Frozenwaffle (new) - added it

Frozenwaffle | 93 comments Can I still join this read or are you guys finnished?

Its my first time reading this book( haven't even heard about it before) so I'm going in blind but entusiastic with your positive comments!

Please do join in. The next one doesn't start until June 20, but we leave the threads up even after that for those who want to read it later. I look forward to your thoughts on it.

message 20: by Teri-lynn, bOoKaHoLiC (new) - rated it 5 stars

Frozen you will not be dissapointed with the story. I am sure that it will become one of your favorites in no time!!

message 21: by Bev (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bev (greenginger) | 137 comments Great story and not too long.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 414 comments At one point Hinton writes: “If it hadn’t been for the gang, Johnny would never have known what love and affection are.”

How did the gang provide love and "family" to the boys in it?

message 23: by Teri-lynn, bOoKaHoLiC (new) - rated it 5 stars

the older boys took on the parental role for Johnny because his home life sucked. he didnt have anyone to take care of h and thats what the gang did...they took care of eachother

message 24: by Teri-lynn, bOoKaHoLiC (new) - rated it 5 stars

I love this book...how is everyone doing?? I am almost finished...

It is terrific, isn't it? I finished awhile ago.

message 26: by Teri-lynn, bOoKaHoLiC (new) - rated it 5 stars

finished!!!

I have a discussion guide for the outsiders...some of the questions are essay questions almost but there are a few that are kind of interesting.

Imagine that you were a character in the book. Would you be associated with the Greasers or Socs?? Why?

message 27: by Teri-lynn, bOoKaHoLiC (new) - rated it 5 stars

What is your definition of a Hero? Do you think that Ponyboy, Johnny and Dallas are heroes?

message 28: by Teri-lynn, bOoKaHoLiC (new) - rated it 5 stars

Examine Robert Frosts poem "Nothing gold can stay". What do you think the poem is saying? How does this apply to the characters in the novel? What does Johnny mean when he tells Pony to "stay gold"?

Teri-lynn wrote: "finished!!!

I have a discussion guide for the outsiders...some of the questions are essay questions almost but there are a few that are kind of interesting.

Imagine that you were a character in ..."

I'm sure I'd be associated with the Greasers. I was never in with the 'socs' in my school.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 414 comments Teri-lynn wrote: "Imagine that you were a character in the book. Would you be associated with the Greasers or Socs?? Why? ..."

I'd probably be more like Cherry. A member of the Socs but equally accepting of the Greasers. I tend to be conservative (even as a teen), so I fit in with the by-the-rules Socs. But I was part of a lower socio-economic group, so didn't fully fit with them. On the other hand, a lot of my neighbors were Greasers and I knew them and their good/bad points, but I didn't enjoy their choices for "recreation" so I didn't fit in there either.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 414 comments The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton The Outsiders by S E Hinton – Book on audio read by Jim Fyfe – 5*****
An extraordinary coming-of-age novel first published in 1967, when it touched a nerve in a generation eager for “relevant” literature. The narrator is 14-year-old Ponyboy, a member of a gang of greasers who frequently get into fights with the Socs (society kids from affluent homes). He wants desperately to be recognized for the individual that he is, not for the label attached to him. In the end the reader sees that adults are not always the enemy, “nice boys” can be cruel and hoodlums can become heroes. The audio book was capably performed by Jim Fyfe. He really brought Ponyboy, Johnny and the rest of the gang to life for me.
Link to my full review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 32: by Frozenwaffle (last edited Jul 21, 2014 01:55PM) (new) - added it

Frozenwaffle | 93 comments Shamefully late, I started and finished this book in the last 24h. I am amazed! Thank you for bringing it to my attention - I had never heard of it before.

Ponyboy - although his name annoys me - was an endearing character, and I hope he pulled through with breaking the barriers between greasers and socs, and became a healthy and happy grown up that was neither, or both.

Nothing to be ashamed of ... I'm usually very late with group reads. So glad you enjoyed the book. Have you seen the movie? It's worth a viewing. Great casting.

message 34: by Frozenwaffle (new) - added it

Frozenwaffle | 93 comments I've looked up the movie and was surprised to see it had such a well known cast! I'll definitely see it, I think I NEED to see it: the story pulled me in so, and then ended so quickly!

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 414 comments Frozenwaffle wrote: "I've looked up the movie and was surprised to see it had such a well known cast! I'll definitely see it, I think I NEED to see it: the story pulled me in so, and then ended so quickly!"

Don't worry, Frozenwaffle. When it comes to great books, better late than never!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Outsiders (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

S.E. Hinton (other topics)