Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Neil deGrasse Tyson
This topic is about Neil deGrasse Tyson
Book Issues > Not a book, a tv show

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (needs a break from reviewing) (last edited May 07, 2014 03:49AM) (new)

Sarah (needs a break from reviewing) (sarahjf1984) | 232 comments This isn't a book, at least not yet. I don't think it should be added here until it is actually a book, not just a show that should be made into a book.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

Thanks for your help.

message 2: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 21665 comments Definitely should be deleted.

Sarah (needs a break from reviewing) (sarahjf1984) | 232 comments Sandra wrote: "Definitely should be deleted."

Thanks Sandra.

It's amazing what's popping up lately on GR, a BOOK reviewing site. Why is the word book so hard to understand? It doesn't sound in the least like CD, DVD or TV, the spelling's not even close either.

message 4: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 21665 comments LOL!!

message 5: by Empress (last edited May 07, 2014 05:18AM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) Sarah (wants some answers from GR) wrote: "It's amazing what's popping up lately on GR, a BOOK reviewing site. Why is the word book so hard to understand? It doesn't sound in the least like CD, DVD or TV, the spelling's not even close either. "

Not to defend anyone, but it is a cataloging website, I think people just get confused. LT for example allows cataloging of everything, and most NAB I've seen have been imported by scripts.

Any chance the show is based on this?. It says: RETURNING TO TELEVISION AS AN ALL-NEW MINISERIES ON FOX, so I think it should be merged with it.

message 6: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 21665 comments I would say, not a chance.

It should just go and not be merged with anything.

message 7: by Empress (last edited May 07, 2014 05:31AM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) Sandra wrote: "It should just go and not be merged with anything."

The description says it is going to be a book. How do you know if most of those people haven't shelved that book to be?

1. If the item has been shelved by any users, attempt to determine whether these users (or at least some of them) intended to shelve an actual book. If this can be determined, shift their reviews onto the actual book like so:
a. Copy down the ISBN of the not-a-book.
b. Follow the instructions for merging two identical editions to merge the not-a-book into the actual book.
c. Search for the ISBN of the not-a-book.
d. The not-a-book record has been recreated in the GR database with no users shelving it; all of the users were transferred to the actual book in step (b).

message 8: by Sandra (last edited May 07, 2014 05:35AM) (new)

Sandra | 21665 comments It looks like the tv documentary was mentioned in the New Yorker in February. Don't know how you think anyone could find an ISBN for that????

There was no book at any time to be merged with.

ETA: There was speculation that a book would/might be written in the future.

message 9: by Empress (last edited May 07, 2014 05:38AM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) Sandra wrote: "It looks like the tv documentary was mentioned in the New Yorker in February. Don't know how you think anyone could find an ISBN for that????

There was no book at any time to be merged with.

ETA:..."

I'm not saying it should be NABed (what you need the ISBN for), but the manual states it should be merged if there is a book to be merged with. I am simply asking if the book I gave a link could be the one the show was based on so the shelvings can be transferred.

message 10: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 21665 comments Sorry Ellie, I'm saying that the tv documentary shouldn't be merged with Carl Sagan's Contact. They aren't the same.

message 11: by Empress (new)

Empress (the_empress) Sandra wrote: "Sorry Ellie, I'm saying that the tv documentary shouldn't be merged with Carl Sagan's Contact. They aren't the same."

Thank you.

message 12: by Paula (last edited May 07, 2014 07:13AM) (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7026 comments Agree with Sandra it's gone

message 13: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 21665 comments Thanks Paula :)

Sarah (needs a break from reviewing) (sarahjf1984) | 232 comments I'm a big fan of the show itself, been watching it here in Australia for the past few weeks. From what De Grasse Tyson has said on the show it's an updated version of the show Sagan hosted in 1980. The book comes from that original show. Neither show come from the book.