Fringe Fiction discussion

Night of the Chupacabra (Chupacabra Series #1)
This topic is about Night of the Chupacabra
Horror Recommendations > Chupacabra series

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Elke (misspider) This is my first rec here, hope I do it right...

I discovered the Chupacabra series by Michael Hebler in the ARR section of the Making Connections group. So far, there are three books in the series, however the third instalment is not yet published (coming in June I think):

Night of the Chupacabra (Chupacabra Series #1) by Michael Hebler Curse of the Chupacabra (Chupacabra Series #2) by Michael Hebler Legend of the Chupacabra (Chupacabra Series #3) by Michael Hebler

Part four is planned for late 2015.

The series is about a remotely vampire-like creature named the chupacabra, which attacks humans to feed on their blood. The curse of the chupacabra is passed to each human that is wounded by it, so if a chupacabra dies the 'infected' will turn into one himself.

The series takes place in the post civil war era, and our main character is Jessie. In the first part, she is still a little girl and her family travels in a trek of settlers. One night, they are attacked by a chupacabra who turns Jessie's uncle. While Jessie survives, she is separated from her family, but still followed by the chupacabra, who seems to have a special bond with her.

The stories are part creature horror story and part historical western-like tale. There are several strong main characters and while the monster is always present, it is not the single focus, which lends the series depth and variety.

I really love this series and can only recommend to give it a try.

message 2: by Paige (new)

Paige (electivelypaige) You had me at chupacabra. :)

message 3: by Justin (new) - added it

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 1398 comments Mod
I've seen this book listed a few times, I'll probably get a copy on MC to review, sounds really good.

message 4: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Wells | 1890 comments Mod
Chupacabra has been an inside joke between me and my friends because people can write about anything paranormal but always stomp the same group in fiction.

message 5: by M.D. (new)

M.D. Meyer (mdmeyer) | 159 comments I'm curious if the story follows any of the historical legends about this creature which is well known in paranormal circles. See the reference in Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chupacabra

message 6: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael Hebler (mhebler) | 2 comments Thank you, Elke. I'm glad you enjoyed the series so much as to create this thread. Your support is greatly appreciated. (Good to see you here too Justin)

If anyone is still interested, I thought I'd let you know that there has been an Amazon countdown sale going for the ebooks of the first two novels for $0.99 each, which ends today. Easy link: www.amazon.com/Michael-Hebler/e/B005G...

message 7: by Justin (new) - added it

I need to get one and two since I won three lol.

message 8: by Justin (new) - added it

I need to get one and two since I won three lol.

message 9: by Meri (new) - added it

Meri Elena | 16 comments Paige wrote: "You had me at chupacabra. :)"

Ditto :D

message 10: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael Hebler (mhebler) | 2 comments Justin wrote: "I need to get one and two since I won three lol."

Awesome! You won [Legend]? Was it through FU Only Knew Book Blog?