Reading the Chunksters discussion

Dune (Dune #1)
This topic is about Dune
Buddy Reads > The Dune series

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Zulfiya (ztrotter) Guys, as we know, we had a mini-poll about the sci-fi /fantasy series read as a buddy project and 22 people voted for the Dune series, which is an excellent choice because it has the elements of both.

Hopefully, we will be reading the first original novels written by Frank Herbert, and any ideas when we are going to start?

My ideas is May 18. We will break each book in four and five parts and then post the impressions per each part.

I was actually torn between all the series in the poll, and The Mistborn was a second choice and some people voted for it, so if anyone who voted for it wants to have a small get-together aka an alternative buddy read, I will fully support you.

Please post your thoughts about the launch day for this project and let's charge our reading batteries in our devices and our hands :-)

John (johnred) | 364 comments May 18 is fine with me! I will probably not comment too much on the first book as I've already read it (and I need to finish another book in the meantime), but I have Dune Messiah ready and waiting.

message 3: by Sam (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sam (aramsamsam) I've ordered my copy yesterday, so I'm waiting in the wings ;)
But then there's also a lot to do for me in May (mainly Uni and reading), so I wouldn't mind a later outset for our little adventure.
Dune has been on my mind for years and has been recommended to me several times, so I am really excited!

message 4: by Delmy (new) - added it

Delmy  (needfulreads) I have to see if I can get a copy but May 18th sounds good to me!
:)

John (johnred) | 364 comments I'm not sure if I mentioned this in another thread -- but I have to say that if anyone is inclined to listen to the audiobooks, Dune is one of the best audio productions I've heard. From what I can tell, the rest of the sextet is similarly done. Highly recommended.

message 6: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea (tasseled) | 189 comments Malazan series was my first choice with Mistborn right on its heels, but Dune is fine for me too. I already have a copy at home, so I can start whenever.

John (johnred) | 364 comments I added up the page count out of curiosity...we're looking at about 2650 pages for all 6 books, depending on the editions :)

message 8: by Sam (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sam (aramsamsam) John wrote: "I added up the page count out of curiosity...we're looking at about 2650 pages for all 6 books, depending on the editions :)"

It's 3516 pages in German!

Zulfiya (ztrotter) The bigger, the better! I read the first three books, but it was 6,5 years ago, so I am going to re-read it.

Andrea, as I said, The Malazan series was my second choice together with the Mistborn, so if anyone wants to read these series I will be supportive and will try to participate. I actually bought the first five books of the massive Malazan adventure. I am a book capitalist. I like to own books; in all other aspects, I am a hipster and a bleeding-heart liberal:-)

message 10: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea (tasseled) | 189 comments I would love to read it with you, but I doubt we would be able to motivate people to read two/three huge series at the same time :( I don't even know if I'd be motivated! Perhaps those two would be great candidates for the next project when Dune is done.

By the way, I heard Malazan is so complicated, it takes a lot of energy to get through. The more I hear that, the more I'm determined to get through it. Taking extensive notes perhaps?

Zulfiya (ztrotter) My husband listened to two, and said it is Joycean fantasi, but I can not listen to fantasy. I prefer to read fantasy to be able to imagine and visualize the worlds, so that is why I purchased the books.

And I agree, these series might be our future buddy reads.

message 12: by Kristina (last edited May 07, 2014 07:21PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kristina (kristina3880) I am ready to read Dune on May 18th. I probably will have to start sooner since I read at turtle speed. I am very excited to start this.

Zulfiya (ztrotter) The turtle speed is when you read 800 pages-long book in a month. I am talking about Winter's Tale by Helprin. Yeah .... right!

Joyce Peacock (joycempeacock) I'll join in. I think it will be an interesting read!

Kristina (kristina3880) Zulfiya wrote: "The turtle speed is when you read 800 pages-long book in a month. I am talking about Winter's Tale by Helprin. Yeah .... right!"

LOL I know, I know. That is why I love the buddy reads so much. It took me five months to read Under the Dome and 4 months to read The Luminaries by myself. You guys hold me accountable.

Natalie (nsmiles29) I'm in! I've been very curious about this series for a long time. May 18 is fine. I just have to get a copy.

Rosemary I'm in for the first book at least!

Becky I've read both of the first two books, and I was left very befuddled by the second. Hopefully reading them in closer proximity to one another will help me, and being able to discuss them. I can start whenever.

Esther I'm for the Dune series. I've read the first book before, but I'm keen to read the full set this time around!

Zulfiya (ztrotter) Welcome to the crew of readers, Esther. I have big hopes for this buddy read.

message 21: by Sam (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sam (aramsamsam) My copy arrived today ;)

message 22: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) I have all the Dune books. I was lucky I was given the series for free at a book give away from a Bazaar. Haven't read them yet but this is a sign that they are shouting to be read! I'm in!

Zulfiya (ztrotter) Good! We shall start in a week! already impatient!

Rosemary I haven't done a buddy read before. how does it work? will there be a schedule?

Zulfiya (ztrotter) Nothing prescriptive and very informal. Each book will be broken into sections, and the participants will comment on each section when they are ready. All the discussions per each book will be confined to one thread, so use spoiler marks :-)

Rosemary, haven't we read The Amazing Adventure of Kavalier and Clay together three or four years ago as a buddy read?

Kristina (kristina3880) I can't wait!!

message 27: by Rosemary (last edited May 16, 2014 12:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rosemary Zulfiya wrote: "Rosemary, haven't we read The Amazing Adventure of Kavalier and Clay together three or four years ago as a buddy read? "

I looked it up and it was a side-read so it was a bit more structured, with dates. The buddy read sounds great!

message 28: by Alana (new) - added it

Alana (alanasbooks) | 456 comments I have to wait until mid June to join in, but I'm super excited! The Dune series has been on my list forever, I'll finally join the cool nerdy crowd! :)