Space Opera Fans discussion

The Honor of the Queen (Honor Harrington, #2)
This topic is about The Honor of the Queen
Space Opera Movie/TV tie-ins > Honor Harrington Movie

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Betsy | 880 comments Mod
Does everyone know there's an Honor Harrington movie in the works? The last update on Weber's site is from July 2013 (http://www.davidweber.net/posts/420-j...), so I don't know for sure it's still on, but I haven't seen anything saying otherwise either.

message 2: by Betsy (last edited May 07, 2014 12:47AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Betsy | 880 comments Mod
And check out the Story Board site, which has more info about Honor Harrington media.

http://tales-of-honor.com/honor-harri...

message 4: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) This is awesome news!

message 5: by Kirsten (last edited Aug 15, 2014 04:59PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I'm always of two minds when I hear about some of my favorite books/characters going to film/TV.

#1 YES!!!!! It's about time someone other than me recognized how awesome these would be!!!

#2 NO!!!!!! How can Hollywood screw this up? Let me count the ways. As a huge fan of Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt and Lee Child's Jack Reacher, I can only hope they don't screw it up as bad.

message 6: by Ronnie (new)

Ronnie (ronnieb) | 321 comments They bloody better not screw it up!

message 7: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) It depends on whether this is an earnest effort to create something artistic, or a cheap shot to fill a slot in a schedule. Battlestar Galactica was amazingly awesome, but since then nobody's been able to recreate that chemistry. Stargate Universe never quite captured that feel, while Caprica simply unfolded too slowly.

message 8: by Ronnie (new)

Ronnie (ronnieb) | 321 comments The trouble with Stargate Universe as I see it, was threefold.

First: There wasn't really a likeable character among them.
Second: There was none of humour that was such a trademark of SG-1 or Atlantis.
Third: It was just so deathly dull.

message 9: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Ronnie wrote: "The trouble with Stargate Universe as I see it, was threefold..."

Agreed
Agreed
Agreed

BSG had a dark, hopeless feel on a ship, but you always knew Adama was an old-style general, Laura Roselyn would do whatever it took to save their species, Starbuck would do something wild to kick butt, and Apollo was the noble, thoughtful on. When you have a 'hopeless' feel you need your characters to stay in=character. SGU had none of that feeling ... it was like the characters couldn't decide who they were. Probably the only guy who remained true to his script as written was Eli (and you say WHO? Eli ... the kinda chunky nerdy guy).

Adrian Roberts | 1 comments My life has had a big BSG hole in it since it finished. I'm not sure if it was ever on Sky/Cable in the UK but I didn't have that at the time so I always waited for the DVD's. I'd then devour them in a few days and spend the next waiting for the next series.

Honor Harrington would certainly work better as a GSG type series rather than a movie. When you've got 24+ books to go through, that is a lot.

message 11: by Anna (last edited Aug 19, 2014 08:15PM) (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Adrian D. wrote: "My life has had a big BSG hole in it since it finished. I'm not sure if it was ever on Sky/Cable in the UK but I didn't have that at the time so I always waited for the DVD's. I'd then devour the..."

You can pick up all four seasons of BSG on blue-ray and then binge-watch the entire series. :-) That series was just so awesome.

I think Honor Harrigan would make an awesome series like BSG did because you have a full universe and lots of interesting characters carried over time. But ... everything has to start somewhere. Perhaps the movie is an attempt to feel out the fandom? I'd sure like a series with a kick-butt heroine again.

message 12: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 338 comments I'd love to see this! It'll be interesting to see how they manage Nimitz :)

message 13: by Demonfire (last edited Feb 03, 2015 03:20PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Demonfire Rollis (klrdemonfire) | 6 comments Betsy wrote: "Does everyone know there's an Honor Harrington movie in the works? The last update on Weber's site is from July 2013 (http://www.davidweber.net/posts/420-j...), so I don't k..."

Have you checked http://www.IMDB.com? IMDB says it is in development

message 14: by Christian (new) - added it

Christian (thiel) | 62 comments Kirsten wrote: "I'm always of two minds when I hear about some of my favorite books/characters going to film/TV.

#1 YES!!!!! It's about time someone other than me recognized how awesome these would be!!!

#2 NO!!..."

I've never really understood this position. People treat film adaptations as if they'll somehow ruin the books in some way when in reality the absolutely worst thing that can happen is that you waste some money on a ticket.
If the film is good then great! Book sales will go up significantly and the online communities will thrive. Not to mention all the sweet sweet merchandise you'll be able to buy.
If it's bad then it'll tank and that's about it really. The books will still be there for you to read, as good as ever.
So really, what's there to loose?

message 15: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Christian wrote: ..."So really, what's there to loose?..."

Two words. The Postman :poop:

But really, I can't wait to see a Honor Harrington movie and/or TV series. It'll be perfectly timed to indoctrinate my teenaged daughters. Daughter #1 got sucked in by Samantha Carter. Daughter #2 is now ready for her kick-butt sci-fi female role model :-)

Betsy | 880 comments Mod
Ah! Samantha Carter was a great female role model.

message 17: by Christian (new) - added it

Christian (thiel) | 62 comments Anna wrote: "Christian wrote: ..."So really, what's there to loose?..."

Two words. The Postman :poop:"

Did the film make the book worse? If not then all you've lost is the time it took t watch it and maybe the cost of a movie ticket or rental. I don't count the cost of nasty cinema popcorn since frankly we all know what we're getting into there.

message 18: by Aaron (last edited Feb 17, 2015 08:48AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aaron Nagy | 111 comments Christian wrote:"sweet sweet merchandise"

This, 100X this.

The only thing annoying about a film is when it is good in a different way from the book then you have people that never read the book...that assume the book is like that too *cough* Starship Troopers *cough*

But even really bad adaptions like The Hobbit: The Desolation of Two Hours of my Life had no impact on the quality of the book The Hobbit to me.

message 19: by Anna (last edited Feb 17, 2015 10:41PM) (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Betsy wrote: "Ah! Samantha Carter was a great female role model."

[*unhappy face*]

I miss her!!!

@Christian - The Postman movie didn't ruin The Postman book for -me- ... but what it did do was ruin my ability to talk to anybody about how awesome the book was because everybody would say, "wasn't that the awful movie starring Kevin Costner" and they would laugh at me when I would say they should read the book. So, yes ... a bad movie adaptation -can- impair enjoyment of the book because one of the things I enjoy about reading is discussing it with like-minded people.

Fiannawolf | 163 comments As long as the treecats are cute and deadly I'm all systems go for this.

Aaron Nagy | 111 comments This dropped a few months back.

TL;DR

Evergreen is gone, movie delayed indefinitely. There was interest in recycling what has already been done into a tv series.

http://forums.davidweber.net/viewtopi...

Betsy | 880 comments Mod
That's a bummer.

message 23: by Ronnie (new)

Ronnie (ronnieb) | 321 comments Dammit. :(

Betsy | 880 comments Mod
Of course, maybe if DW is no longer tied up working on the movie, he can actually write the next HH book. Please, please.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Christian wrote: "Kirsten wrote: "I'm always of two minds when I hear about some of my favorite books/characters going to film/TV.

#1 YES!!!!! It's about time someone other than me recognized how awesome these woul..."

You don't lose anything from the books. But what is frustrating when the movie makers completely screw it up. I just get really angry. One, is the casting. If they screw up the casting, I just can't watch the film. Cases in point, Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher, Michael McConaughey as Dirk Pitt. Two, leaving out scenes/characters I thought were vital.

Jessica  (jessical1961) I have never read any of the Jack Reacher books, but I enjoyed Tom Cruise in the movie. Of course I am a huge Tom Cruise fan, especially of his action movies.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Jeffrey wrote: "I have never read any of the Jack Reacher books, but I enjoyed Tom Cruise in the movie. Of course I am a huge Tom Cruise fan, especially of his action movies."

I am dubious of your taste in actors. LOL! We all have different tastes. Personally, I think Liam Neeson is doing a great job in action films. Who knew?

Though, for Reacher, in the books he is desribed as a mountain of a man. Cruise is wiry and short. Hardly a mountain.

message 28: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Scott If someone wanted to make one of my books into a movie, I'd be thrilled, no matter who they cast. And if they went off-book with the plot etc., well at least I could hope it might inspire people to read the novel later, right? I forget who it was that said once they'd sold a book to the movies, they no longer regarded it as 'their' book, so in essence they didn't get upset with whatever the studio chose to do. The book is still the book. I think the most head scratching one ever is Andre Norton's novel Beastmaster, which 'became' the movie with Marc Singer and TOTALLY different.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Veronica wrote: "If someone wanted to make one of my books into a movie, I'd be thrilled, no matter who they cast. And if they went off-book with the plot etc., well at least I could hope it might inspire people to..."

I originally was excited about that movie because I loved the book. I loved the movie too. But I thought maybe it was based on a different book.

I agree about certain authors letting go of their book. But what about ones where they keep control and it's still screwed up? Of course, Lee Child didn't have much of a choice as Tom Cruise bought the rights.

I always try to watch the movie/tv programs before I've read the book. That way I'm not screaming at the screen about the characters and scenes they've missed!