YA LGBT Books discussion

Book Related Banter > Suggest Gay YA to me

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Micah (new)

Micah (sinvega) | 16 comments I am looking for some great YA fiction with gay male characters.

I need something either Paranormal, dystopian or sci-fi that doesn't feature stereotypically gay characters and isn't all about romance/their sexuality.

My top 5 are
The Culling (The Torch Keeper, #1) by Steven dos Santos Proxy (Proxy, #1) by Alex London
Witch Eyes (Witch Eyes, #1) by Scott Tracey
Dreams (Dreams of Fire and Gods, #1) by James Erich
Alliance (Alliance #1) by Danyele Johnson

message 2: by Kaje (last edited May 07, 2014 06:43AM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16521 comments Vintage A Ghost Story by Steve Berman Vintage: A Ghost Story
The Cat in the Cradle by Jay Bell The Cat in the Cradle
Children of the Knight by Michael J. Bowler Children of the Knight

If you don't mind more fantasy than paranormal, consider
Distant Rumblings (Lords of Arcadia, #1) by John Goode Distant Rumblings
Lord of the White Hell (Lord of the White Hell, #1) by Ginn Hale Lord of the White Hell
The Student Prince by FayJay The Student Prince (16+ sex content)

I'm afraid SciFi and Dystopian are not things I read as much of.

we have shelves for
paranormal : https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...
fantasy which may include paranormal :https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...
and SF https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...
and dystopian https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

You could check those - note that some will be F/F or trans or other LGBT - on our shelves you can look for the tags, although some may be missing because GR wiped out our M/M and gay and F/F shelves a while ago, and we're redoing those.

There is also a listopia list YA fantasy/sf novels with major LGBTQ Characters, again with all LGBT combined on it.

message 3: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 715 comments Micah, try The Marbury Lens and Passenger by Andrew Smith.

It's the second book before the gay part of the story becomes clear, but there's definitely a lot going on besides that relationship.

If you're ok with a bisexual male MC, then Coda by Emma Trevayne is dystopian.

Scott Tracey from the Witch Eyes series also has another series with gay male characters, Moonset and Darkbound. I think the second has a gay MC.

message 4: by Kim (last edited May 07, 2014 12:06PM) (new)

Kim (lokilady) | 376 comments Proxy's sequel, Guardian , is about to hit the shelves, so that's one to look forward to!

If you're up for superheroes and -villains, you could try the Masks series, by Hayden Thorne (who has written multiple other speculative fiction books with gay male characters); Perry Moore's Hero ; and the comic book Young Avengers and Hugh Sterbakov's Freshmen .

James Erich's Seidman features magic-wielding Vikings. In the magical realism vein, there's Francesca Lia Block's Weetzie Bat series. Hannah Moskowitz' Teeth is amazing, if not to every reader's taste.

I haven't yet read One Boy's Shadow , by Ross A. McCoubrey, but it looks to be a ghost story. There's also witchy The Boy Who Couldn't Fly Straight , by Jeff Jacobson; Logan Kain's zombie/rapture tale, The Dead Will Rise First ; and Caleb James' Haffling fey tale.

The Casts' House of Night series and Cassandra Clare's The Mortal Instruments series are popular with some for their supporting gay characters, although I don't personally recommend either.

Rick Riordan's The Heroes of Olympus series, spun off from the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, includes a gay character. Bear in mind, however, that he doesn't come out to anyone -- including readers -- until the fourth book.

Lynn Flewelling's Nightrunner series isn't officially YA, but one of its main characters starts out in that age range, and I think the appeal level is appropriate for older teens (which is what I was when I started reading the series); I'd warn for fantasy violence, though. I would say the same about R.W. Day's A Strong and Sudden Thaw series.

I really enjoyed Sam Cameron's Kings of Ruin . And I've liked what I've read so far of J.T. Holden's The Boys from Manchester and J.T. Fairfield's Bayou Zoo series.

message 5: by Micah (new)

Micah (sinvega) | 16 comments A lot of goodreads :)
I absolutely loved Moonset & Darkbound(Since it prominently features the gay character)

message 6: by Destin (new)

Destin Hicks (dhicks) | 48 comments This thread says "Suggest Gay ya to me"

So I say "ya" in my head instead of "Y-A" every time. DAMMIT. That's not what you mean!

message 7: by Destin (last edited May 07, 2014 07:56PM) (new)

Destin Hicks (dhicks) | 48 comments "ya" pronounced "yuh," by the way.

message 8: by Micah (last edited May 08, 2014 02:14AM) (new)

Micah (sinvega) | 16 comments Destin wrote: ""ya" pronounced "yuh," by the way."

haha I get what you mean ;d I edited it ha

message 9: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 715 comments Micah, also maybe try Shadow Walkers by Brent Hartinger. It's paranormal with a gay MC.