Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about Assassin's Apprentice
BotM Discussion - FANTASY > Assassin's Apprentice/SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wayland, Ernest Scribbler (new) - rated it 3 stars

Wayland Smith | 2770 comments Mod
OK, finished.

Enjoyable overall, at times a bit predictable. The big secret behind "Lady Thyme" I saw coming a mile away. I liked some of the ideas, and the two different kinds of mind magic were well done.

I never quite saw the reason behind Buriss' prejudice about "The Wit." And god damn it, second fantasy book in a row with the death of a loyal dog! QUIT IT!

Ok, over that for the moment.

I thought it was decent, but not great.

I'm not wholly sure I'll be getting the rest of the series. Oh, and Kelvar's name kept utterly throwing me off. Every time I read it, I thought "Why is there Kevlar in a fantasy book? Oh yeah, character name."

Scott (thekeeblertree) I had a similar experience. I enjoyed the book, it was good, but I felt it lacked something. What that is I couldn't tell you but I know it's there.

I enjoyed Fitz as a narrator but a lot of the scenes, especially action ones, felt rushed and hastily put together. And for an assassin in training you'd think there would have been a little more emphasis on the actual training. Almost seems like the author wasn't entirely sure where to go with Fitz so she just kind of sent him off in a few different directions to see if anything stuck.

I bought the other two in the series at a discount and plan on coming back to the series because I think it had potential but not sure when that will be

message 3: by Nic, Wormhole Technician (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Margett (enn_eye_cee) | 353 comments Mod
I feel very differently about this book, I loved it to bits! I'm really looking forward to seeing where this is heading and i'll definitely be looking to finish this series and carry on into Hobb's other works.

I've actually owned this book for a while but never quite found time to get into a new fantasy series, I really don't enjoy having so many series open at a time, and I already have about 6 or 7 on the go so I really hesitated to start this, but i'm glad I did.

I think, for me anyway, this book felt a lot like Martin's ASOIAF, possibly just because of so many mentions of bastards! It has a real political edge to it too. It also reminded me a little of The Kingkiller Chronicles.

message 4: by Lel (new) - added it

Lel (lelspear) | 1739 comments I'm with Nic on this one. This is the second time that I've read this book in the space of 18 months and I have to say that I loved the book and the rest of them actually. I loved the character Fitz and how he develops.
I agree with Scott, that originally I thought that it would be more about assassin training like a kinda book version of assassins creed I guess. But I think this way as better. The emphasis seemed to be more about subtlety than flat out knife in the back.
The fact that Nosy died was really sad though. :(

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 16 comments Okay, so I just started the book. I have been reading some really big books this month and finally started this one. I'm on the 4th chapter (15%) and I'm really liking the book. He is just starting his training.

Nara (greengp01) I had a few problems with the pacing- half the time, the story was a bit too slow and the other half of the time, there was a bit too much packed into too few pages.

I did enjoy it though! It felt like a very introductory book, and I do look forward to seeing where things will go in the rest of the series :)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 16 comments I just finished the book. I liked it a lot. I found The pace was good and interesting for me. So parts I found really sad. The fracture of some of the relationships were also sad moment in this book. It was wonderful to find out Nosy wasn't killed in the beginning. I figured the puppy died then, it was great to know Nosy had a good life.

I too thought the book would be more about Fitz's training.

I want to read the second book to find out more.

message 8: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new) - rated it 4 stars

Roger | 1983 comments Mod
Is the fool in the first book?

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 16 comments yes the fool is.

message 10: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new) - rated it 4 stars

Roger | 1983 comments Mod
thanks, might be my book for loki 2 next month

message 11: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new) - rated it 5 stars

Freya (flamecat) | 1742 comments Mod
I read the Assassin's Apprentice about five years ago now, it was at a point when I had reached the end of a series and was wondering where to go next so I picked this book up and thought I would give it ago... I subsequently bought the next two and then the Liveship Traders trilogy in one go!

I loved this book and in fact the entire world that Hobb has created I think is brilliant. Not having read ASOIAF yet (I know - terrible!) I found at the time of reading, the bastard character fascinating. I really like the two types of magic that there are and how they are used and their differences.

I think the biggest thing for me about Hobb's writing is the way she writes the relationships between characters, she is not afraid to let the characters sit in a silly stew of their own making, which is nice. I have read too many books where it seems that within a few hours all bad feeling is gone, Hobb likes to tug at the heartstrings a bit and I have often been half afraid to turn the page :)

Not everyone's cup of tea - no book is, but I am glad that I have managed to find more fans! :D

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Couldn't fit this in for last month's group read, but I'm enjoying it now! I love Hobb's writing. So relaxing. And I'm only two hundred pages in, before all the horrible shit she's famous to doing to her characters really starts occuring, lol.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Finished this a while back. I'm actually on the third of the trilogy at the moment, Assassin's Quest. This series is incredible. This may the first time I've read a series where the overall story arc of the series is largely unimportant to the events going down in the books. Sort of like the war between good and evil that's going on in the background of the First Law series.

message 14: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yay! I am glad there is another Hobb fan, I completely agree with her writing being relaxing on the whole... except when she takes delight in plucking at ye old heartstrings! Have you read any of her other books?

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Freya wrote: "Yay! I am glad there is another Hobb fan, I completely agree with her writing being relaxing on the whole... except when she takes delight in plucking at ye old heartstrings! Have you read any of h..."

No, this is actually my first time reading her. She's really brutal, though, the stuff she does to Fitz. I'm not sure if enjoying these books so much makes me sadistic on some level or what, bahaha.

message 16: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new) - rated it 5 stars

A new Hobb fan then - even better! :D Ahaha I know what you mean, I don't want to read on sometimes, but I can't not!

message 17: by Ana A (last edited Apr 08, 2017 01:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ana A (anabana_a) I just finished reading this. It is amazing! I hate how the dogs had to die, though, but it was needed, yes, to pluck at the heartstrings. It wasn't as painful for me now, though, since I'm accustomed to Martin's brutality in killing off characters in ASOIAF. [edit. I wrote this: "I was sad Burrich really died in the end, though. He had a LOT of close calls that I thought he would really make it alive at the end of the book" but while reading book 2, I realized Burr did make it! Was I sleep-reading during that part? Haha. My mistake. He's alive.]

Kelvar's name, yes, I also read it plenty of times as Kevlar. Haha.

I'm very interested in what Verity will be like as a king, if Molly will show up again in the next books, and if Fitz will finally get a dog that won't die right away. I'm off to the next book!

Ana A (anabana_a) I'm reading this which basically says that Elon Musk is trying to develop something that sounds a lot like the Skill. Brain to brain communication. Hmmm...