The Diverse Shelf discussion

Book of the Month Voting > July BotM Nominations

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Byron, The Queer One (last edited May 24, 2014 11:13PM) (new)

Byron Gann (thedahlingdarling) | 60 comments Mod
Make sure to have your nominations in before June 21st.

Voting for the July BotM will be between June 21st - June 30th which will be put up as a poll once the nominations are in.

The theme for July: Disabled Characters.

You are allowed up to 2 nominations per category. So 2 adult and 2 young adult books. Both non-fiction and fiction are allowed.

Happy reading! :)

Edit 05/11/2014: changed "characters with disabilities" to "disabled characters".

Nominations:

1) Marcelo in the Real World (YA)
2) Call Me Ahab: A Short Story Collection
3) Accidents of Nature (YA)
4) Mean Little Deaf Queer
5) Love In Touch
6) The Moon Sisters (YA)

message 2: by Byron, The Queer One (last edited May 10, 2014 11:26PM) (new)

I'm going to try to only nominate books I haven't read so I can branch out, so here is to hoping they aren't awful lol.

For my first young adult nomination I'm thinking Marcelo in the Real WorldI was thinking about The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time originally but after looking at the reviews I wasn't so sure, I would really like to get the opinion of someone on the spectrum but I haven't been able to find a review yet, but one of the reviewers suggested this book instead as a better alternative.

message 3: by Meredith (new)

Meredith (mabith) | 33 comments Mod
Is this meant to be a fiction only group? It would be nice to have at least one of the books this month be written by a disabled person as well as be about a disabled character. I'm having a hard time finding specific lists to pull titles from though.

I'm disabled myself and I'd like to give a reminder that person-first language is equally hated and loved in the disabled community. Well, actually I think it's slightly more hated than loved, at least among young people (and especially those with purely physical disabilities). It can feel like it's used to go "Oh hey, don't forget they're people, I know it's super easy to do that since they're broken and all." Lisa Egan put it this way:

"The main argument in favor of the phrase “person with a disability” is that it’s “person first.” Whaaaat? No one has ever told me that I should describe myself as a “person with gayness” or a “person with womanliness.” I’m gay and I’m a woman — no need to qualify that I’m a person too."

So far I've found Call Me Ahab: A Short Story Collection, a book of short stories, though there's a memoir and a book of poetry+essays that I'd rather nominate if non-fiction is okay (admittedly I mostly read non-fiction).

message 4: by Byron, The Queer One (new)

Meredith wrote: "Is this meant to be a fiction only group? It would be nice to have at least one of the books this month be written by a disabled person as well as be about a disabled character. I'm having a hard t..."

Hi Meredith! It can be fiction or non-fiction (I really should have specified, sorry) so which ever book you want to submit (or both) is fine. :)

Ah! And thank you for the reminder on the language. I don't have a lot of strong feelings on either usage so I didn't even think about how the language would affect other disabled persons and I really appreciate you drawing my attention to that.

message 5: by Meredith (last edited May 15, 2014 11:54AM) (new)

Meredith (mabith) | 33 comments Mod
Yeah, I didn't have many strong feelings about language until recently. It seems like 'disabled' is sometimes treated like a slur that mustn't be used and that's not right. It's so hard since disability includes SOO many different problems and issues and outlooks. The gulf between chronic pain issues and autism and being born without a limb is pretty huge, just in terms of how we view disability plus disease vs just another line in the spectrum of humanity...

Found a YA book I'd like to nominate! Accidents of Nature by Harriet McBryde Johnson.

For a second adult nomination I'd like to suggest the memoir, Mean Little Deaf Queer by Terry Galloway.

They're both available as audiobooks and ebooks as well as paper.

message 6: by Byron, The Queer One (new)

Adding to the list for my first adult pick Love In Touch by Lucy May Lennox

message 7: by Byron, The Queer One (new)

My second young adult nomination is The Moon Sisters by Therese Walsh

message 8: by Byron, The Queer One (new)

Hey peeps! Just a reminder that voting the July starts on June 21st, so if anyone else wants to nominate a book - now is the time. :)

message 9: by Byron, The Queer One (new)

For those who have not voted - only two days left to vote for the July BoTM

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/1...

We need at least one more vote on the YA poll to have a winner picked, so if you haven't voted yet feel free to check it out and let us know what you think. :)