Scribblers of the World Unite! discussion

Challenges > Challenge the Potato

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

-- Yes, Challenge the Potato. Bear with me --

Well, hi again! It's time for our third challenge! Congrats to our lovely Dria for winning Challenge the Epic, by the way :)

Okay, so here is our new challenge! The rules are as follows:

1) Write a list of Ten Uses for Potatoes.
2) None of these ten uses can be eating them in any way.
3) Post your list below!
4) Copying will be noted, and being brilliant will be commended!
5) This contest closes on May the 12th. Because 13 is unlucky. So let's not do that.

Good luck, Scribblers!

message 2: by low (new)

low (lows) | 52 comments Mod
Wow... That's crazy XD

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Yup! ...I'm beginning to wonder if it's too crazy...I've just eaten jellybeans, you see. Sugar rush thing XD

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

..............so I just need to find ten uses for potato? Pssh doesn't sound too hard.

And then

Finally

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Your gifs are brilliant, Trissy :D

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Well after months of finding them for characters you get a knack for finding good ones. xD

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I love all Sherlock gifs :D

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Is that so? xD

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Yep! Especially Mycroft, Sherlock, Moriarty and Janine. They're my faves :D

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Ooo I found one use for potato.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Ooh, great!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

But I realized it was for drinking. *hangs head*

message 13: by Ananya (new)

Ananya (ananyashenoy) | 95 comments Okay. Potatoes. That's....interesting.

message 14: by Cassidie (new)

Cassidie (cassidiejhones) | 2 comments This is a total random list of considered-funny-but-in-fact-not points. You've been warned :D

1. Throw it at somebody.
2. Hug it just to feel better. You're probably sad for the same reason you threw that potato at somebody previously.
3. Talk to it if you're alone. If not, still talk to it. It won't tell anybody your secrets for sure.
4. Carve a smiley into it and put it on your drawer/desk.
5. Make parfum of it. (Yes, it does exist from sweet potato.)
6. Use it instead of books to learn how to stand straighter. (You know when you put books on your head.. Or in this case a potato. It's the advanced level.)
7. Use it instead of golf ball. If there aren't any golf balls with you.
8. Paint with it. It'd give a different result than brush, wouldn't it? Just be creative :)
9. Put it under your pillow to prop it up if it's too flat.
10. Potato Battery (Again, it does exist. If you don't believe me watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FITxr...)

message 15: by R.Grewal (last edited May 09, 2014 09:22AM) (new)

R.Grewal (r_grewal) Here is my entry! :)

1) Chop the potato in half and carve a pattern to use as a stamp, an ideal stamp to make is your initials so that you can stamp your books, so everyone knows it belongs to you!

2) You can use the potatoes to create a rockery, just place the potatoes in any formation you wish, and voila! A beautiful potatoey rockery!

3) Ever had a party, that’s just lacking the oomph? WELL FEAR NOT! You can use a potato as a disco ball, just cover in in all sorts of glittery things, glitter, beads, diamonds! You name it! (This is my personal favourite)

4) Do you get too cold when having snowball fights? YOU CAN NOE HAVE A MASH FIGHT! You simple just need to mash large quantities of Potatoes and start throwing mash at people!

5) Constantly running out of paper? Need to send people written messages? You can use potatoes as you own re-useable slate! Just scrub away the previous message and start scribbling a new one!

6) If you’re one of those people who always loses they pencils then this one will appeal to you. Poke the end of you pencil (or pen) into the potato!

7) Do you have a baby brother or sister? Do you need ideas as to what to gift them for their birthdays or any other celebration? Well now you can use potatoes to create a hanging mobile for them. You can draw pictures on the potatoes to make it more interesting.

8) You could carve a hole into a potato big enough to fit a candle inside, to make your very own candleholder. You can also make it look more fancy by adding various things to it.

9) Do your headphones always get tangled and knotted? (Psht whose don’t?) You can wrap your headphones around the potato to keep them unknotted!

10) Last but not least… During the winter do your hands get very cold? You can boil a potato and then wrap it in foil to preserve heat. Then hold it your hands, and you will find that they stay nice and cosy!

Am I the only one who found this challenge extremely fun?

message 16: by Cassidie (new)

Cassidie (cassidiejhones) | 2 comments Wow. This is really resourceful! I love the headphones idea. :)

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Wait whattt? I thought I posted mineeee. >.<

message 18: by Aderonke (new)

Aderonke  (aderonkeakavinita) | 73 comments What? After Ravdeep and Cassidie's explanations, is there anything left?

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Teh Potato List.
--------------------

1) Teh Potato is excellent for anger management. You can slice, chop, dice, fry, bake, mash and dip it in boiling oil - but you won't get arrested for it!

2) By hollowing out the inside slightly, Teh Potato forms a simple yet elegant ring.

3) Teh Potato also poses as a makeshift voodoo doll. That's enough said on that topic.

4) Teh Potato, when kept in your tent-peg bag, is an excellent mallet. It will hammer pegs into the ground at an astonishing rate. Teh Potato is sure to please, hammering pegs into sand, clay, dusty dirt, mud and wet concrete!

5) Teh Potato can come in handy when Twilight fans attack. Keep those drooling zombies at bay by tying Teh Potato to a piece of string! With this effective ball-on-chain style weapon, you can also enjoy reenacting scene with the Witch King in the Lord of the Rings!

6) Teh Potato will erase red wine stains from your carpet! ...Seriously, it will! I didn't say it would be instant - it might take a couple of weeks. But still. Teh Potato always wins out!

7) Teh Potato gives hands a full workout! Tightening muscles to make hands glow, all you must do is peel Teh Potato with a potato-peeler! The effects are almost instant.

8) Teh Potato is a top-class dance instructor.

9) No, seriously! By sitting there and letting you get on with your own dancing, Teh Potato raises your self-confidence! After all, you dancing better than your dance instructor - how much better could you want to get?

10) Teh Potato will scare your enemies away! Watch the fear grow in your enemies' eyes as Teh Potato greets them at home, in their car, and at work! Who knows how it does it! With it's cold, dead eyes, Teh Potato truly is the stuff of nightmares.

message 20: by Ananya (new)

Ananya (ananyashenoy) | 95 comments Here are some totally wacky uses of a very ordinary potato....

1) Find yourself cutting potatoes in the kitchen for french fries? And, your sibling is blasting loud music that you don't like? Stuff two or four sticks of potato in your ear. Great earplugs (Don't use them for the french fries later!)

2) A potato makes wonderful art as most six-year-olds know but instead of potato stamps, you can try actually slicing potatoes and making a collage with them on paper though, it might attract rats in a while and cockroaches....and maybe even cats. Who knows?

3) Try stringing up small potatoes with a needle on a string to make an excellent necklace (At least till the potato starts rotting)

4) Take a potato with a lot of eyes and leave it sitting on the couch. The couch potato will serve as a very uncomfortable surprise for any human couch potatoes.

5) Mashing potatoes can be a fun party game. Makes a lot of mess and provides a lot of entertainment-just not for the poor potato.

6) A potato can be a very weird showpiece. Just tell your friends "Oh, that thing? I got it from ~exotic place~. It's a classic." be sure to change the potato every time your friends leave or it might start stinking.

7) Potatoes are very useful to make people trip. Just throw a few of them on the ground and see how many people fall for it. Literally.

8) Potatoes can be used to scare little ignorant siblings. It's the eyes that make it creepy. So many eyes just can't be natural.

9) If you want to make a movie and don't have enough actors, all you need is a few potatoes. I suggest calling the movie 'The potato movie.' Trust me. Such a movie has never been made yet. You may even get an award.

10) Stuff a potato in the mouth of someone annoying you. It works every time.

message 21: by D (last edited May 09, 2014 08:30PM) (new)

D (dizzypal99) 1.Compost
A simple and eco friendly use for that potato that's sat a couple years too long in your refrigerator! That's right, just dump that potato in a compost heap and you provide food for worms and nice nutritious dirt for yourself to grow new potatoes in one fell swoop!

2.Potato Games
Ever played hot potato? I bet you have- but have you ever played Potato Tag? Red Potato? Pin the Eye on the Potato? What about Spin the Potato? (You don't have to kiss anyone!) There's a whole amazing array of possibilities for hours of entertainment with a single potato!

3.Busy Garden
Got a kid that just won't leave you alone? An annoying little brother or even your own child, from whom you just need a moment's respite? An old potato on hand from a long fogotten supermarket trip could be the key to that rest you've been craving! Simply hand the child a shovel, a watering can, and the potato, and wait as they begin to create their own busy garden!

4.Prank Potato
In the middle of a prank war? Is it April Fool's Day? A potato is the perfect weapon of choice for high quality pranks! Tuck a smelly potato into the corner of your target's pillowcase! Attach potatoes to their apple tree with fishing wire! Line potatos on their ceiling fan and wait for them to turn it on! Be sure to set a hidden camera potato on their desk to capture the action!

5.Craft Potato
Potato skin is a marvelous thing! Once peeled properly, and paired with double sided tape, you can make anything with potato skin that you could make with duct tape! A potato wallet! Potato sandals! A potato shopping bag! Potato necklaces, braclets, and headbands! Delight in your friends' confusion as they try to identify the material with which you have created all these unique items!

6.Practice Wood
Like to whittle? Ever considered taking up woodcraft as a hobby? Well, wood is expensive and hard to cut and shape. But a potato is a perfect practice substitute! Whittling a potato with a kitchen knife is as simple as slicing butter! Carve marvelous statues! Try out your ideas for actual woodwork! Refine your skills! The possibilites are limitless, unless you run out of potatoes!

7.Textured Fingerpaint
Potato mash is lumpy, bumpy, and coarse- or smooth and creamy! Simply dye different textures of mashed potatoes in all the colors you desire and begin to create a masterpiece! Smooth water? Finely mashed blue potato! Tree leaves? How about some chunky mashed potato with skin dyed a beautiful green?! Your masterpiece may have to be displayed lying down, but that could easily be fixed with a light layer of glue or even plastic placed over the potato painting!

8.Keep Out Sign
Hanging a potato on your door is a surefire way to keep out nosy parents and prying children! You might even scare them away from your hallway entirely! Especially after the potato starts to smell, it will be a hugely effective human repellant! There is simply no better way to tell someone they are unwanted than hanging a many eyed potato on your bedroom door- perhaps with a message of some sort painted on it, though of course that is not necessary! Simply replace the potato with a more desirable food when you feel ready for visitors!

9.Paint Rollers
Everyone knows potatoes with paint make great stamps, but have you ever considered painting your whole home with one? Simply cut into a clean cylinder, attach loosely to a handle of some sort, be it a twig or a bent hanger, and coat in paint! Coat repeatedly as you cover your walls with the desired color! You can even cut patterns into the potato cylinder for designs after you have laid your base coat!

10.Electric Potato
Is someone nosy snooping in your things? Do you know it, but can't prove it? Or is it simply that no one bothers stoppping this person, and he or she will not listen to your warnings? It is time to carry out your threats! Simply plant a potato in the things he or she is disturbing, whether it is your peach tree in the yard or your sock drawer. Wire the potato to an electric cord designed for an electric fence and attach the cord to the required stakes underground. When the curious person reaches for the potato while standing on the ground, your snooper will complete the electrical circuit and recieve quite a shock!

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

:D That's so cool, Dria!

message 23: by D (new)

D (dizzypal99) ;D

Electric potatoes are cool.

message 24: by Rosie (new)

Rosie Willis (lilabookslover) | 2 comments WOW they're sooo good!!

message 25: by Tia (new)

Tia Mengia | 2 comments Hi! I'm Tia! I'm new here, and i was wondering whether I can vote for my favourite entry of the 'potato' challenge seeing as i've read them all? ☺

message 26: by Ananya (new)

Ananya (ananyashenoy) | 95 comments I'm not a mod but yeah. I guess you can since you've read them. I'm sure you can't submit an entry thoug.

message 27: by Tia (new)

Tia Mengia | 2 comments I'm six days late to enter, so I'll just vote for my favourite :)

message 28: by Ananya (new)

Ananya (ananyashenoy) | 95 comments Yeah. Okay :D

message 29: by Theonewhoreads (new)

Theonewhoreads | 7 comments AW SHUCKS, THIS CHALLENGE SEEMED AWESOME!, SAD TIMES I MISSED IT! :'(

message 30: by Theonewhoreads (new)

Theonewhoreads | 7 comments may i vote aswell?

message 31: by Theonewhoreads (new)

Theonewhoreads | 7 comments hahaha the "potato voodoo doll" XD

message 32: by Theonewhoreads (new)

Theonewhoreads | 7 comments oooh i must try the potato battery!

message 33: by Ananya (new)

Ananya (ananyashenoy) | 95 comments Yeah. Voting is okay. There's another challenge you can take part in though.

message 34: by Theonewhoreads (new)

Theonewhoreads | 7 comments Oh, so are there like challenges after challenges?

~~Thanks!!

message 35: by J. T. (new)

J. T. | 1 comments I once heard of a kid at school blocking the exhaust pipe on a teacher's car with a potato, but I can't remember what happened when the car was started.