THE Group for Authors! discussion

General Discussion > Author Widget

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Martyn (new)

Martyn Halm (amsterdamassassinseries) | 248 comments I use a GR generated author widget on my blog. It can be viewed here:

https://amsterdamassassin.wordpress.com/

It's in the right hand column, halfway down, and shows my books, their current rating and amount of reviews, etcetera.

My questions: even though I have six publications on GoodReads, my latest book, Rogue: A Katla novel, isn't showing in the widget. Why not? And how can it be added so all my publications are showing?

I also notice that if the stats change on GR, they don't change on the widget (which is static HTML), so I have to go to author widgets once in a while and copy a fresh HTML code to ensure the latest ratings and reviews are showing on my widget. Which makes it all the more important that all my publications are showing in the Author Widgets.

Can the missing book be added?

message 2: by Martyn (new)

Martyn Halm (amsterdamassassinseries) | 248 comments Did I post this in the wrong forum/section?

(I feel a bit ignored...)

message 3: by Aaron (new)

Aaron (aaronburdette) | 89 comments Sorry for the delay! I took a look at your widget on your site, and wasn't able to tell which one you're using directly. I created a Custom Widget under your widgets tab, so you should be able to copy and paste that code to achieve the desired effect, but if you have any trouble let me know.

message 4: by Martyn (last edited May 08, 2014 10:05AM) (new)

Martyn Halm (amsterdamassassinseries) | 248 comments That's all right, Aaron. Thanks for the widgets, but the one I really mean is the books I wrote myself. On the widget page there's a html code that will list all my books with rating and number of reviews, but for some reason my novel Rogue does not appear. So if you check the first page of my blog and scroll down, you see my books on the right hand side, but it's only five publications...

Edit: sorry, I noticed now that I can use the first widget and change bookshelves to I-Wrote-These and select 10 books and that will show my books.

Thank you very much, Aaron. Now I can customize the widget to show only what I want to show. Kudos!

message 5: by Claudette (new)

Claudette Alexander | 18 comments Sunrise From an Icy Heart: A Memoir
I have tried adding the paperback version of my book to my page. Instead a second copy of the kindle edition shows up. I listed the ISBN and a green cover with the name shows up but it does not transfer into the widget. On Amazon.com it shows the two books under my title.
How do i get the cover of the paperback to show up on my page etc?

message 6: by rivka (new)

rivka | 562 comments Claudette, I cleaned up the duplicate editions of your book, and got the cover of the paperback from Amazon. The two correct editions can now be seen here: https://www.goodreads.com/work/editio...

message 7: by Philip (new)

Philip Elrod (philcelrod) | 5 comments I want to add the author reviews widget to my website, but everytime I go to configure it, it shows the reviews for the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and not my book...I realize I only have two reviews so far, but still

message 8: by Philip (new)

Philip Elrod (philcelrod) | 5 comments Philip wrote: "I want to add the author reviews widget to my website, but everytime I go to configure it, it shows the reviews for the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and not my book...I realize I only have two re..."

Never mind, it finally decided to work !!

message 9: by Philip (new)

Philip Elrod (philcelrod) | 5 comments I have another question in regards to the Author widget...I have received 2 reviews for my book and the widget is only showing the second one...can anyone tell me why and how to fix this...thank you !!

message 10: by Martyn (new)

Martyn Halm (amsterdamassassinseries) | 248 comments If you configure your widget, it will ask how many reviews and starting from what rating. So say you select 10 reviews, but also 4-stars and up, and you have two 5-star, three 4-star and five 3-star, it will show only five reviews.

message 11: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Cretten | 1 comments Philip, I wanted to add this widget aswel and could not get it right! My book is called "My Secret Revealed" What did you do to get it working right!!? Please help! :)

message 12: by Philip (new)

Philip Elrod (philcelrod) | 5 comments Wendy wrote: "Philip, I wanted to add this widget aswel and could not get it right! My book is called "My Secret Revealed" What did you do to get it working right!!? Please help! :)"

I figured out that it will only show reviews from those who are not friends, so had to un-friend my daughter and another person to get it to work, if you have no community reviews, then you have no reviews to show...also, I realized that during the configuration process I had neglected to change the ISBN number to that of my book