Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > beta available for lgbtq fiction.

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Riah (last edited May 08, 2014 06:21PM) (new)

Riah (riahxoxo) | 8 comments basic bio__
I've never formally beta'd before, but that's not to say that I've never critiqued another writer's work, because I have – extensively. I've been kicked off multiple websites for harsh reviews, actually, and au contraire to popular belief, I'm not pissed about it. Truth be told, I'm thrilled, because I'd rather surround myself with writers who possess an avid thirst for growth instead of those who want to be babied. I will not lie to you. Honest to God. Call me a child, but I like to think that I know what I'm doing. I review others' writing as I would review my own: relentlessly and with a fine-toothed comb. I try not to be overtly [unnecessarily] harsh, because not only do I remember with vivid clarity what it was like to not know the difference between you're shit and your shit, I've also been the girl who cries just because she feels alone in her oddities.

I suppose my style depends on the writer and the quality of the story. I'm thorough, yes, but due to other obligations and a disinclination towards developing an unhealthy fixation [I've been known to obsess] with such projects/relationships, I try not to bite off more than I can chew, which means that I won't critique more than one chapter at a time and while I'll allow you to contact me in whatever way you wish, I won't jump when you say jump, although if I do become obsessive towards our partnership, there might come a time when you'll need to remind me who's in charge.

Of those who wish to acquire my services, I expect a willingness to commit. While I'm not the sort to request payment for my time, I nonetheless take this very seriously. If you come to me, seeking help with your story, then I suggest you be prepared to get it; because for the sake of a good story, I will happily crawl through the flames of hell. Should the need arise, it's only fair that you're prepared to do the same, no? Whether you're just looking for someone to point out typos and the like or someone to suggest ideas and help with cultivating better habits [e.g. flow, scheduled writing], I'm in for the long haul and I'd rather not waste my time with someone who doesn't feel the same way.

As a general rule, of course, I reserve the right to accept and decline requests as I see fit.

my strengths__
I excel where basic grammar and spelling are concerned, as well as vocabulary and flow. Spotting clichés, assisting in character development, and the like. I'm very good with mixing up sentence structure so every paragraph reads different but nonetheless fluid. Repetitive usage of phrases irks me, as does a predictable, run-of-the-mill storyline [e.g. girl meets boy, boy loses girl, girl forgives boy, girl and boy live happily ever after]. However, if you really want to write your story, I'll gladly help you.

my weaknesses__
I have RBS. For those of you who aren't familiar with the acronym, RBS stands for Rabid Bitch Syndrome. I have depressive/aggressive episodes that fluctuate rapidly, so sometimes you'll have to put me in the doghouse until I come down. Also – I hate titles. I hate capitalizing that shit. It irks me. For whatever reason, it rankles my nonexistent OCD and makes me think that the flow is being interuppted when it's actually interrupted.

My spelling sometimes fails, as well. I get similiar letters like 'a' and 'e' mixed up. For instance, if I misspelled interuppted up there, it's because I spent five minutes trying to tell whether the correct spelling is 'interuppted' or 'interrupted' and eventually decided to screw it. More examples are 'existence' and 'existance', 'sentence' and 'sentance', 'occurr' and 'occur', 'occurance' and 'occurrance' .. yeah, you get the idea. Common misspellings kick my ass, so I can understand if they pop up in our exchanges, but please don't make a habit of not giving a damn. This is a serious partnership, remember?

my preferences__
Yaoi [m/m, male on male, homosexual relations, etc.], shounen ai, fantasy, and the kind of stories that fuck with your mind. Think Dean Koontz and Gillian Flynn [after reading her "Gone Girl", my mind was so paranoid that instead of saying 'no', I just screamed instead].

I also love male pregnancy stories and darker, gritty fics, featuring abuse or rape or some such tragedy.

not my cup of tea ..__
Castiel/Dean, Dean/Sam, 1D member/OC .. you know, 'Harry Styles was the hottest guy at school, so mousy little Rebecca Smith just couldn't believe it when he asked her to the prom'? Spare me, please.

Thanks in advance, and while you're at it, forget the classic menage trois – 'Peyton Jane's mother has left her with her abusive stepfather and now she just wants to die. But when a group of attractive new strangers become her next-door neighbors, instead of thoughts of death she's suddenly consumed with fantasies of love ...

Yeah, let's not. More no-no's include f/f, m/f, and your run-of-the-mill storylines, which may or may not include Indian werewolves, sparkling vampires, etc. Either way, I'm not interested.

message 2: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Carlyle | 61 comments Would you be interested in my book its a fantasy adventure?

message 3: by Shreyonti (new)

Shreyonti Chakraborty | 89 comments I have written a coming-of-age novel about a college girl whose life is inexplicably connected with the most high profile rape case of the decade. If you are interested, could you please let me know via email (shreyonti@gmail.com)?

There's a part about the unenlightened MC's first realizations of the existence of gay people? She's heard about them and seen them on TV, but it's only in college that their existence finally becomes real to her. I would love comments on whether this part is appropriate or not.

message 4: by Shreyonti (new)

Shreyonti Chakraborty | 89 comments I have written a coming-of-age novel about a college girl whose life is inexplicably connected with the most high profile rape case of the decade. If you are interested, could you please let me know via email (shreyonti@gmail.com)?

There's a part about the unenlightened MC's first realizations of the existence of gay people? She's heard about them and seen them on TV, but it's only in college that their existence finally becomes real to her. I would love comments on whether this part is appropriate or not.

message 5: by Riah (new)

Riah (riahxoxo) | 8 comments Shreyonti wrote: "I have written a coming-of-age novel about a college girl whose life is inexplicably connected with the most high profile rape case of the decade. If you are interested, could you please let me kno..."

Sure.

Joseph wrote: "Would you be interested in my book its a fantasy adventure?"

Ahhh .. no thanks, darling. Sorry.

message 6: by Riah (new)

Riah (riahxoxo) | 8 comments Also. My email is idarelic@icloud.com, for those of you who like to skip the awkward how-do-you-want-it conversation.

message 7: by Riah (new)

Riah (riahxoxo) | 8 comments Bump.

message 8: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
if you're interested, my email is creativebarbwire@gmail.com, thank you! :)

message 9: by Riah (new)

Riah (riahxoxo) | 8 comments I have accepted three stories to work on. The most I'm able to do at a time is six, so if there's anyone else out there who needs a story chopped to pieces, don't hesitate hit me up.

message 10: by A.M. (new)

A.M. Frater | 27 comments Hi, my name's Alexandria and I was wondering if you'd like to beta my malexmale paranormal romance? It's called The (Not-So) Simple Life of Aldous Wolfsbane. It's about a guy who sees demons and has a hard life because of it. He has a best friend who he loves dearly but doesn't realize it yet. Also, my characters are sixteen.
I have written a prologue and the first chapter so far but I'm afraid to go further without it being seen by someone other than myself and checked for errors, inconsistencies, that stuff.
It would mean so much to me if you could beta it but I will also understand if you can't.
P.s. I have a beta already, technically but she only does so much, I need another opinion and another set of eyes. Thank you!!

message 11: by Riah (new)

Riah (riahxoxo) | 8 comments Sure. Send it to me!

message 12: by A.M. (new)

A.M. Frater | 27 comments Okay, thank you. I will! :)

message 13: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Swet | 3 comments Hello, my name is Veronica. This is my first time looking for a beta and I have just joined Goodreads.

I would say my writing is rather dark? I cannot abide the whole 'Harry Styles was the hottest guy at school, so mousy little Rebecca Smith just couldn't believe it when he asked her to the prom'? either. There is no sparkly vampires as well :)

Okay what I wanted to know is would you read work what is half edited and has so many grammar mistakes?

I've done roughly 61 pages of 155. I need someone to tell me how they feel about the story/characters and theme.

Honestly I have to say it will take a while to go through.

Anyway I do hope you decide to go for it. You seem the I don't sugar coat type which I want. If you like you can look at a short piece I work for a writing site to get the feel of my style of writing.

Kind Regards

Veronica

message 14: by Mocha (new)

Mocha Pennington | 55 comments Hello Nulla,

I've completed a manuscript at 90k titled "The Angel at the Devil's Gate". Although it is LGBT-themed, the novel is not defined by the character's sexual orientation. I love honestly and like to be critiqued more so than praised. This manuscript needs proofreading/grammar, and of course, comments, both good and bad.

Synopsis

Black-clad foster child, Angel, is beautiful, mysterious, and exudes menace as if it were a personal scent.

Eli’s childhood of neglect and abuse has turned him to stone and gives him comfort in violence.

Apart they are society’s outcast. Together they bring to life a romance birthed from darkness, a romance that leaves debris of death on their road to salvation.