Literary Fiction by People of Color discussion

The Best LGBT Books of 2013

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ColumbusReads (new)

ColumbusReads (coltrane01) | 3684 comments Mod
Well, I was going to slide this inside the LGBT folder in Group Business but I didn't want anyone to miss it. I love it when authors you admire provide their must-read list or books they've read and recommended to readers. Roxane Gay recently provided her To-Read list to the Huffington Post http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05... and I added almost every book recommended.

Band of Thebes recently enlisted 92 authors to provide their favorite LGBT books of 2013 and there are some really great books on this list. The book listed most often is the essay collection White Girls by Hilton Als, but, there are some great fiction titles on this list as well. Hmm, maybe another LGBT poll soon with recent books by some of these authors!? Enjoy!

http://bandofthebes.typepad.com/bando...

message 2: by No (new)

No Hi - thanks for this. I checked the links out and yes, there are some good titles suggested there. Will definitely get some of those.

message 3: by jo (new)

jo | 1031 comments hey columbus, thanks for these links. i checked the first three books roxane gay lists and they are not queer-themed (or published in 2013!). are you assuming that the others are, or did you check them? is roxane gay herself a queer person?

message 4: by jo (new)

jo | 1031 comments same goes for the other ones, i'm afraid.

message 5: by ColumbusReads (new)

jo wrote: "hey columbus, thanks for these links. i checked the first three books roxane gay lists and they are not queer-themed (or published in 2013!). are you assuming that the others are, or did you check ..."

Oh no. I only referenced Roxane Gay as an author I admired and had recently released a TBR list of interesting books. I wasn't inferring that her selection was LGBT (or that she is for that matter). Sorry if it was confusing.

message 6: by jo (last edited May 06, 2014 09:56PM) (new)

jo | 1031 comments oh, okay. but why did you call the folder "the best LGBT books of 2013" then? they are neither LGBT nor 2013. lol.

message 7: by ColumbusReads (new)

The bottom link has the list of 92 authors I was referencing.

message 8: by ColumbusReads (new)

Dean wrote: "Hi - thanks for this. I checked the links out and yes, there are some good titles suggested there. Will definitely get some of those."

Yes, Dean. I jotted down a few of them myself. There's quite a few authors of color listed as well.

Literary Fiction by People of Color

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

White Girls (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Hilton Als (other topics)