Suffolk bookclub discussion

archives > June 2014 - The Orphan Master's son

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Annabel (new)

Annabel (kirbyland1986) | 481 comments Mod
discussions

message 2: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Quarrell | 261 comments This book won the Pulitzer. its a bit like catch 22, its deals in North Korean propaganda which opens up a very closed subject. it is part thriller and love story too. It's a beautifully written book and easier to read than I thought it would be.

message 3: by Annabel (last edited May 29, 2014 01:12AM) (new)

ooh can't wait to start this sounds very good :)

message 4: by Annabel (new)

I gonna finish the lovely bones and the cuckoo calling then I will read this so hopefully in about 2 weeks

message 5: by Jon (new)

Jon I am about 20% into this book. I had my misgivings before I started but now I am really enjoying it. I don't know if it is just me, but there are some really funny passages. I told my daughter about it, and now she keeps nagging me for updates on the story.

message 6: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Quarrell | 261 comments I found it really amusing. Adam Johnson teaches at Stamford. I would love to sit in on his lectures, I bet they are a scream. How old is your daughter?

message 7: by Jon (new)

Jon She is 9 years old, going on 16. She is always intrigued by the books I read. I cant wait until she is older and we can share books. She struggled to understand the concept of communism when I told her about this book though. I think I will just share the funny passages with her.
How old are your children Tracy?

message 8: by Annabel (new)

My son already showing interests in books so I am hoping he will keep going enjoying them.
Aw it's nice that she likes to hear about the books you reading

message 9: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Quarrell | 261 comments It is lovely sharing books with your children. I have two teens and one of seven. All chaps. I have enjoyed chatting to them about Animal Farm, Gatsby and Mice and Men recently. They love fantasy novels, but will read a mum recommendation too. I loved the Little Women books at that age and What Katy did. Yes as the book goes on, def edited reviews needed.

message 10: by Annabel (new)

My reading on hold at the moment as I have very saw throat at the moment something to do with my tonsils base... Hopefully better next week so will start again then

message 11: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Quarrell | 261 comments Hope you are feeling better

message 12: by Annabel (new)

much thanks. still little sore but i can swallow and i can eat without a big pain :)

message 13: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Quarrell | 261 comments I mainline peppermint tea, I find that very soothing. You sound like you need a hot toddy though.

message 14: by Esther (new)

Esther Sullivan | 15 comments behind again! Going to start this now, got side tracked by another book I was reading.

message 15: by Annabel (new)

been busy but can start tonight

message 16: by Jon (new)

Jon I finished this a few days ago. It is a beautifully written book and quite humorous in places. Really enjoyed it

message 17: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Quarrell | 261 comments Glad you enjoyed. This book has caused a bit of stir. Some people think the subject matter is too dark for humour but I think that is when humour is more often needed!!

message 18: by Annabel (new)

Finally decided to read this on page 9!
Thought I read this before the glasshopper as that one seem like it be a bit easier to read as I am a bit uncertain about this one

message 19: by Annabel (new)

On page 26 but it's hard to concentrate on the book while I am in hospital with my daughter so gonna find a easier read for now

message 20: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Quarrell | 261 comments Sorry to hear daughter in hospital, is it routine or something else?

message 21: by Annabel (new)

Something else

message 22: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Quarrell | 261 comments Hope she and you are OK x

message 23: by Annabel (new)

we both was home Saturday thanks
done the first chapter so hopefully i be done this week bur actually i enjoyed the first chapter x

message 24: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Quarrell | 261 comments Its more readable than you expect. My sixteen year old son is really enjoying. Its a book that will stay with you.

message 25: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Quarrell | 261 comments Glad you and little one are back home x

message 26: by Annabel (last edited Jan 05, 2015 12:37PM) (new)

yeah i am in middle of chapter 2 and i am surprise how i am enjoying it...
i cant wait to see what happens not sure if i will have a break when i get to part 2 or not.

and thanks its good to be home x

message 27: by Annabel (new)

the only downer i can think at the moment that the chapters are long

message 28: by Annabel (new)

think i gonna wait till i have more time to read this as long chapters and i think i need to at least be able to read whole chapter in one day to know whats going on....

message 29: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Parry (kathrynmorgan-parry) | 707 comments Mod
Still can't find this one. I think I mixed it up with another one.

message 30: by Kathryn (new)

On order...

message 31: by Kathryn (new)

Just picked this up....

message 32: by Kathryn (new)

I should finish in a day or two. Can't say I'm a fan of this book. I don't like Jun Do at all.

message 33: by Kathryn (new)

Okay I hated this to begin with but turns out to be a great story. Well worth the effort as the story comes together in the second half.

message 34: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Quarrell | 261 comments Glad the book won you over Kathryn. Its one of my best reads of the previous year. My teenage son finished it and he found it a captivating read too.

message 35: by Annabel (new)

Ok book is a bit easier to aim with the ebook it just carried on and actually I am actually enjoying it slightly more

Hoping to get to part 2 today

message 36: by Annabel (new)

ok i am now at part 2 i felt sorry for jun do he seems to be in wrong place at the wrong time.

message 37: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Quarrell | 261 comments Heart breaking isn't it?

message 38: by Annabel (new)

yeah it is - i am hoping for a happy ending but i'm not sure if it will be

message 39: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Quarrell | 261 comments Would not want to spoil it for you. My lips are sealed.

message 40: by Annabel (new)

:) thanks wouldnt want to know till i read it anyway lol
ok try and read 50 more pages tonight

message 41: by Kathryn (new)

Why I did not say anything...

message 42: by Annabel (new)

I know and I wasn't saying that lol I was just said thanks for not saying anything lol

message 43: by Kathryn (new)

Horrible when the ending is spoilt. I can't understand that some read the ending first?

message 44: by Annabel (new)

I know I hate that I love reading it from start to end to see what happens
If I read the ending I just think there is no point to read it now

message 45: by Annabel (new)

I have a little more than 100 pages and I am kinda thinking it's not gonna be a happy one but now I have the book on hardcopy I am enjoying it better than I did with the kindle and it possible be 5 stars

I love how it all came together and given you a lot wow but also heartbreaking story but I can't wait to finish it between tomorrow and Saturday

message 46: by Annabel (new)

Finish and

Wow what a book

I first read it on my kindle and it was hard work but since I got the book from library I couldn't put it down its

message 47: by Kathryn (new)

Heartbreaking story wasn't it...

message 48: by Annabel (new)

Yeah it is

message 49: by Dianne (new)

Dianne (deemitchell) | 349 comments Just started this

message 50: by Dianne (new)

Dianne (deemitchell) | 349 comments Finding this hard going in places. Over half way now, but the way it jumps narrator find a bit confusing