I Read Therefore I Am discussion

Monthly Author > May 6th Arturo Perez-Reverte - What did you think?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lee (new)

Lee Comment as soon as you like but please hide any spoilers.

message 2: by Lee (new)

Lee I got confused - I've got The Seville Communion rather than The Fencing Master and I've rather jumped he gun and finished it already!
I very much enjoyed it - it's a book noir which begins with a member of the Vatican's Institute of External Affairs being sent to Seville to investigate the murky goings on surrounding the proposed closure of a derelict but still functioning church.
There's a femme fatale, an old ghost story, a trio of small time crooks who wouldn't seem out of place in The Maltese Falcon and a world weary, very attractive priest, with an uneasy conscience - who I could see being played by Humphrey Bogart.
It was gripping, sometimes very funny and generally a very satisfying read.
I shall definitely be reading some more Perez-Reverte - starting with the Dumas Club -possibly next month.

message 3: by Laurel (new)

Laurel | 1486 comments Mod
Sounds good - I looked at that one but I love Dumas which is why I went for the Dumas Club instead. But hopefully my library might have a copy of it!

message 4: by Laurel (new)

The Dumas Club was great - would definitely recommend it, although if you haven't read Dumas' D'Artagnan novels then you might not get all the references (at least The Three Musketeers but Perez-Reverte does drop a big spoiler for the very end of the cycle for anyone who hasn't read to the end of the Le Vicomte de Bragelonne - which would be me cos I'm only a third of the way through Twenty Years After - grrr!). But it's a great story and loads better than the film.

message 5: by Lee (new)

Lee Excellent - I shall take your advice and read The Three Musketeers first - as my memories of Dogtagnan and the Three Muskahounds might not be enough ("One for all and all for one, Muskahounds are always ready. One for all and all for one, helping everybody .....). :0)
What did you think of the recent BBC adaptation?

message 6: by Laurel (new)

I used to love that cartoon lol!
I only watched the first episode and couldn't decide whether I wanted to continue watching it or not - they changed the story which annoyed me and it was a bit over the top but on the other hand Dumas would probs have been ok with over the top, and they were kinda pretty....