Valancourt Books discussion

New Releases > The Feast of Bacchus (1907), Edwardian horror by Ernest G. Henham

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Valancourt Books (valancourt_books) | 829 comments Mod
The Times Literary Supplement recently called Ernest G. Henham (1870-1946) 'one of England's lost novelists, a writer of startling abilities'. Now available is his forgotten Edwardian-era gem THE FEAST OF BACCHUS (1907), a haunted house story different from any you've ever read, featuring a decaying manor house with the strange power to take possession of anyone who enters, causing them to behave in bizarre and violent ways. Weird, fascinating, and with a truly macabre and horrific twist towards the end, it's well worth checking out if you enjoy classic supernatural fiction of the Victorian/Edwardian eras.

description

Book Description

In the remote hamlet of Thorlund stands the manor house known as the Strath, an eerie place that exercises a mysterious hold over anyone who enters it. The site of tragedy in 1742 when its owner, Sir John Hooper, turned highwayman and met his death on the gallows, the Strath has remained vacant for over a century, a pair of hideous masks its only occupants. When the novel opens, the Strath’s new owner has just arrived from America to take possession of the house, but he is soon found horribly murdered. Now the next heir, young Charles Conway, has come to the Strath, and the house begins to work its baneful influence on him and on the local residents, causing them to behave in bizarre and violent ways. What is the connection between the sinister power of the Strath and the ghastly masks that adorn the wall? And once Conway and the others are drawn within the evil place, can any of them possibly survive?

Ernest G. Henham, who also published under the pseudonym “John Trevena,” was the author of bizarre Gothic fantasies such as Tenebrae (1898) and The Feast of Bacchus (1907), as well as a number of unusual and highly imaginative works set in Dartmoor. This first-ever republication of Henham’s novel includes a new introduction by Gerald Monsman.

Contemporary Reviews

“[A] book of strange adventures, of ghostly, nightmare visions; you will want to read it at a sitting, but do not begin it at bedtime unless your nerves are in a thoroughly healthy condition” – The Reader

“[Q]uite a remarkable book . . . Mr. Henham has the exceptional gift of lending an atmosphere of reality to the fantastic. … Some people will find the book enthralling: others may pronounce it quite mad, but everyone must recognise its undeniable cleverness.” – The Outlook

“This strange story … has a tropical luxuriance of imagination quite unusual in works by English writers. . . . an atmosphere of eeriness and mystery strongly reminiscent of Poe. The plot is clever, the characters well-drawn; but it is in his power to create an atmosphere of vagueness and suggestion that Mr. Henham may be said to possess something very like genius.” – The Publisher

Visit our website for links to purchase, and see more of our titles that you are sure to love.

http://www.valancourtbooks.com/the-fe...

message 2: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 290 comments I just got this yesterday. I can't wait to dive into it!

I'm sure you'll enjoy it! It's a beautifully written book. I just happened to start rereading it this morning! It takes a few pages to get into the story but then you'll be hooked.

I don't remember how much is given away in the introduction so I'd save it for after.

Enjoy!

message 4: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 290 comments Valancourt Books wrote: "I'm sure you'll enjoy it! It's a beautifully written book. I just happened to start rereading it this morning! It takes a few pages to get into the story but then you'll be hooked.

I don't remembe..."

I discovered a very long time ago that skipping introductions is a very good idea.

message 5: by Char (new)

Char  | 320 comments I leave all the intros until after I'm done. I've had a story or two ruined in that way, so this is my new policy. :)

This books sounds VERY good.

message 6: by Kylie (new)

Kylie (new-vogue-ravyn) | 47 comments I agree, this sounds really good.

message 7: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 64 comments I concur with my esteemed colleagues.

message 8: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 290 comments Starting this one tonight. I hope it gives me the willies.

message 9: by Char (new)

Char  | 320 comments Nice! I bought it because it sounded so damn good, but I haven't had time to read it yet. :)

message 10: by Kylie (new)

Kylie (new-vogue-ravyn) | 47 comments Charlene wrote: "Nice! I bought it because it sounded so damn good, but I haven't had time to read it yet. :)"

Do you mean 'every single Valancourt release?' ;)

message 11: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 290 comments Charlene wrote: "Nice! I bought it because it sounded so damn good, but I haven't had time to read it yet. :)"

I'm doing a sort of survey of "haunted house" literature. This is perfect.

message 12: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 363 comments Sigh--another one that looks too good to pass up!

message 13: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 290 comments Kimberly wrote: "Sigh--another one that looks too good to pass up!"

I say that about every book Valancourt posts. Sadly, I buy them all too.

message 14: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 363 comments Nancy wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Sigh--another one that looks too good to pass up!"

I say that about every book Valancourt posts. Sadly, I buy them all too."

Nancy, I've had that problem lately, myself..... LOL! (And if I have an e-version, I usually end up buying the paperback for my shelves afterwards. )

message 15: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 290 comments I must be a Valancourt-o-holic. I'm glad I'm not alone.

message 16: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 363 comments Nancy wrote: "I must be a Valancourt-o-holic. I'm glad I'm not alone."

I've recently become a convert!!! :D

message 17: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 290 comments Kimberly wrote: "Nancy wrote: "I must be a Valancourt-o-holic. I'm glad I'm not alone."

I've recently become a convert!!! :D"

Definitely not a bad addiction.

message 18: by Char (last edited Mar 13, 2015 01:30PM) (new)

Char  | 320 comments You're definitely not alone!
Kimberly, I could loan you my Kindle copy of this one if you like.
(I do like that most of Valancourt's books are lendable.)

message 19: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 363 comments Charlene wrote: "You're definitely not alone!
Kimberly, I could loan you my Kindle copy of this one if you like.
(I do like that most of Valancourt's books are lendable.)"

That's something that's becoming more and more rare! I'll take you up on it, but not right away--for reasons you know all too well!! Catch up time. ;) I just signed up for the Valancourt newsletter.

message 20: by Char (new)

Char  | 320 comments I like their newsletter quite a bit. I like their site too. It's very clean and easy to find what you want.

Let me know when you're ready for the book. :)

message 21: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 64 comments I WANT THIS!

message 22: by Valancourt Books (last edited Mar 14, 2015 02:58PM) (new)

Nancy wrote: "Starting this one tonight. I hope it gives me the willies."

Can't wait to hear your thoughts, Nancy! It's far from a typical haunted house story. It's a beautifully written piece of literary horror. I'd like to do more of the author's works once I'm able to travel and photograph them.

message 23: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 290 comments Valancourt Books wrote: "Nancy wrote: "Starting this one tonight. I hope it gives me the willies."

Can't wait to hear your thoughts, Nancy! It's far from a typical haunted house story. It's a beautifully written piece of ..."

That's why I selected it -- I don't want a typical haunted house story. :)

message 24: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 290 comments Okay -- this is absolutely incredible. I'm not nearly finished yet, but this book is unreal.

message 25: by Redrighthand (new)

Redrighthand That's good to hear. It's the next Valancourt book I would like to get.

message 26: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 290 comments Redri9hthand wrote: "That's good to hear. It's the next Valancourt book I would like to get."

My advice: read it slowly. There's a lot going on here.

message 27: by Randolph (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 58 comments I see Tenebrae mentioned above. It is bizarre beyond belief. Categorized as Gothic, I think it belongs more to fin de siecle Decadent literature.

message 28: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 290 comments Randolph wrote: "I see Tenebrae mentioned above. It is bizarre beyond belief. Categorized as Gothic, I think it belongs more to fin de siecle Decadent literature."

It is now on my horror shelves.

message 29: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 290 comments Re Feast of Bacchus: this book is disturbing beyond belief. But in a good way, if that makes any sense.

message 30: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 290 comments I'm finished with the novel. Jeez -- what a great book! Thanks, Valancourt, for publishing it!

message 31: by Valancourt Books (new)

I'm thinking of doing another Henham title or two once I can go photograph the books. Glad you enjoyed it!

message 32: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 290 comments Valancourt Books wrote: "I'm thinking of doing another Henham title or two once I can go photograph the books. Glad you enjoyed it!"

I would love to have your job.