The Book Vipers discussion

One Hundred Years of Solitude
This topic is about One Hundred Years of Solitude
Group Read Archive > Group Classics Read (post 1900) - June 2014 - One Hundred Years of Solitude - NO SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (new) - rated it 1 star

Paul (halfmanhalfbook) | 5458 comments Mod
The discussion thread is now open. No spoilers on this one, please.

message 2: by amber (new) - added it

amber (thelittlematchgirl) | 65 comments I read the first half of this last year and then put it down and never picked it back up. Maybe this will be the push I need to pick it back up again.

message 3: by Katy (new) - added it

Katy (kathy_h) amber wrote: "I read the first half of this last year and then put it down and never picked it back up. Maybe this will be the push I need to pick it back up again."

I've done the same thing, Amber.

message 4: by Paul (new) - rated it 1 star

Started this yesterday. No 100% sure what is going on at the moment; seems very trance like.

Jessica Andrews | 69 comments Just finished!

message 6: by Paul (new) - rated it 1 star

Well done. Not really enjoying this book.

Jessica Andrews | 69 comments Yeah - it's trance-like so quite confusing.

message 8: by amber (new) - added it

amber (thelittlematchgirl) | 65 comments When this was BOTM in one of my other groups the ratings were all either 1 star hated its or 5 star love its.

message 9: by Paul (new) - rated it 1 star

And I am in the one star camp.

message 10: by Debbie (new) - added it

Debbie | 585 comments I was really looking forward to reading this. It seems to have evoked mixed reactions.
Oh well, here I go with an open mind and heart.

Cathy | 553 comments Just starting this. When I read it years back I loved it. Hoping it will be as good second time round.

message 12: by Debbie (new) - added it

Debbie | 585 comments I'm putting this down. I don't have the time or patience to read this at the moment. I am 15% in and getting very frustrated with the erratic jumps in plot and time, confused over who is who. I had hoped to love this and am disappointed, maybe just not the right time to read it and will try agin in a few years time.

message 13: by Paul (new) - rated it 1 star

I don't feel so bad now!

message 14: by Debbie (new) - added it

Debbie | 585 comments I know what you mean Paul, I hate bailing but I can't get on with it at all. Only just getting into the habit of letting a book go if not that taken with it. I will try again just maybe when the kids are grown and left home. I might have more of chance of giving it the time it needs.

message 15: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mrswhams) | 730 comments Mod
I am inclined to think I would feel the same as you, Debbie. I really want to read it one day but I suspect now is not the time.

message 16: by Jo (new) - added it

Jo Weston (joster) | 1697 comments Mod
Lisa wrote: "I am inclined to think I would feel the same as you, Debbie. I really want to read it one day but I suspect now is not the time."

Right behind you Lisa on that one!

Maria ( ZITA ) Silva | 17 comments Me too I also tried, but could not get thru this book.

Cathy | 553 comments Finally finished this, and on the whole I really enjoyed it. I love the way that magical things happen but are accepted and told in a completely matter-of-fact way. Not an easy read, though! I think it's one that you have to read from cover to cover without putting it down, otherwise you lose the thread. I can understand why people find it difficult to get into, but it is worth it if you stick with it!
Here's my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Maria ( ZITA ) Silva | 17 comments I tried reading this one, but just could not do it, so I put it down... maybe I will give it another try soon.

message 20: by Paul (new) - rated it 1 star

I know how you feel, I did finish it but really didn't like it Maria.

message 21: by Katy (new) - added it

Katy (kathy_h) Maria ( ZITA ) wrote: "I tried reading this one, but just could not do it, so I put it down... maybe I will give it another try soon."

I did the same. Meh.

Betty C. | 127 comments amber wrote: "I read the first half of this last year and then put it down and never picked it back up. Maybe this will be the push I need to pick it back up again."

Funny, this is exactly what happened to me on this re-read. I loved it when I first read it years ago, but didn't remember it that well. This time, I didn't fall under the spell. It may be other things going on in my life.

message 23: by Katy (last edited Aug 16, 2014 10:10AM) (new) - added it

Katy (kathy_h) So true, Betty. I think sometimes it is just one's mood or what is happening in life that determines if you like a book or not.

I've done the same thing, read a book and loved it and upon re-reading wondered why?