The Book Vipers discussion

The Goldfinch
This topic is about The Goldfinch
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Group Read Archive > Group Fiction Read - June & July 2014 - The Goldfinch - NO SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Paul (halfmanhalfbook) | 5462 comments Mod
The discussion thread is now open. Given it's length we have decided to make this a two month read. No spoilers on this one, please.

Evelina | AvalinahsBooks (avalinahsbooks) You guys are not going to regret it. I read this with another group, and it turned out to be pretty much the best read of the whole year.

Cathy | 553 comments Definitely joining in with this one!

message 4: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo Weston (joster) | 1697 comments Mod
So pleased to see this as a group read. Cannot wait, may start sooner!

Debbie | 585 comments I'm so envious. I received this as a gift from Santa...loved it.

Emma (EmmaKfldt) | 4 comments Finished this last month. Well worth it. Enjoy!

message 7: by Jan (new)

Jan Notzon | 261 comments Evalina: Good to know. I've read the first few pages of The Goldfinch and am hooked.

Evelina | AvalinahsBooks (avalinahsbooks) Yeah, I remember I was hooked from the very beginning. It's just in the way she shows the feelings of the characters. You end up sympathising with even the ones who make really bad decisions.

Reserved my copy from the library yesterday. Have this months reads to finish first!

message 10: by Jan (new)

Jan Notzon | 261 comments You go Paul!

Bobbi Jo (moon_petal) | 34 comments I read this one a few months ago. I am curious to find out what everyone thinks of it.

message 12: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

I am also hooked, right from the off. I just love how she writes. It's detailed and it's long but every single word seems to matter and conveys something so it doesn't feel overdone in anyway.

Simply have to find some reading time today to press on.

message 13: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Well, I sat outside the cinema whilst my children watched a film so cracked on with this. It is tremendous. I went back and read a chunk near the beginning again which I don't think I have ever done before in a book. I occasionally flip back but today I re-read a good 20+ pages just to absorb some of the detail. It is so absorbing.

Will post next bit on the spoilers thread!

Debbie | 585 comments It's just a work of art in itself alone isn't it? A work of beauty.

message 15: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

It's extraordinary! I now can't put it down, despite it being weighty in hardback, I am carrying it around the house and have been reading whilst cooking the Sunday Roast!

message 16: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

This is how I was when I read Secret History over 20 years ago. It's all coming back to me!

message 17: by Jan (new)

Jan Notzon | 261 comments Yes, her prose really flows (oops, I didn't mean to rhyme there).

Susan (suze0501) | 190 comments I'm in ... just hoping I have the time!

I too loved The Secret History, it's a regular re-read, and never fails to engage. How she makes such a page turner out of such a massive novel, where you know the perpetrators from the get-go I do not know.

Wasn't so keen on The Little Friend, though I enjoyed it, and remember that feeling of the hot southern south of the USA very well.

Looking forward to this very much - sounds like Ms Tartt at the top of her game!!

Sandy | 458 comments Just started after work. I like it so far. :)

message 20: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Great to have you on board Sandy! I read like mad until Thursday, but a busy day yesterday (son and husband both returning from trips away) and lots to do in the garden today may slow me down, but having past half way, I am eager to carry on reading as soon as I can.

Evelina | AvalinahsBooks (avalinahsbooks) you guys need some sort of discussion guide, questions to ponder or something like that.. this is no discussion, you're all just saying "yeah, i'm liking the book!"

maybe somebody has some insights, some impressions? questions? anything?

Sandy | 458 comments I was just stating that I was glad to start this read. It is difficult to say more about such a long book when you first begin.:)

message 23: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Evelina wrote: "you guys need some sort of discussion guide, questions to ponder or something like that.. this is no discussion, you're all just saying "yeah, i'm liking the book!"

maybe somebody has some insight..."

Feel free to start one here Evelina:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 24: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Remember that spoilers are over on the spoiler thread, so it's easier to express views there (which I have on being part way through). It's early days for this one - a) a long book and b) not strictly our group read until June.

message 25: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sorry Paul, cross post.

message 26: by Jan (new)

Jan Notzon | 261 comments For comments, you can always read people's reviews(?)

message 27: by Evelina | AvalinahsBooks (last edited May 20, 2014 02:24AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Evelina | AvalinahsBooks (avalinahsbooks) Paul wrote: "Feel free to start one here Evelina:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... ..."

I sort of did, but no one's answering. maybe nobody's there yet.
it's a little bit difficult for me though, as I've read the book already and that was several months back. however, if folks do answer, I'd be more than glad to help with what I can come up with.

Jan - you can read people's reviews for sure, but group reads are designed to be read with others and to discuss. that's the whole point, actually. it gives you more than you'd imagine (it's just that I have participated in really good ones before and I know how good it feels)

Johanna I'm a third of the way through. I picked it up with a bit of trepidation (having heard very mixed reviews), and although it meandered a bit at the start, I'm really enjoying it.

Ava Catherine | 27 comments I read this book last month and loved every minute of it!

message 30: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Finished this today. Generally good, and was teetering between three and four stars, but plumped for four. may revise as I write review.

Cathy | 553 comments Started at the weekend and at 5% read now on Kindle. Taking a while to settle in to the narrator's voice.

Simone | 2 comments Oh fabulous, just started reading this one this week. I've heard so many great things about it; looking forward to it!

message 33: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin Smith (casmith512) I am working so hard to get through my last few school books so I can start in on this one! The Secret History is one of my all time favorites so I've been anxious to crack this book open for a while now. So pleased that it happened to be the monthly pick when I joined BV. I look forward to discussing it with all of you!

message 34: by Tonya (new) - added it

Tonya | 12 comments I'm about 100 pages in, glad this stretches to two months. I'm really enjoying her writing style! I'll check out the other threads, but think I will avoid the spoiler one until I am done.

message 35: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

It is a book and a half Tonya!

message 36: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

The more I think about this book, the more I love it. I have just passed my copy to mother in law with a "don't book anything for a week" warning on it!

message 37: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Pavalok | 3 comments So the group reads are for two months?

message 38: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Normally they are a month Rachel. We made this two as it is nigh on 800 pages and not everyone can read that much in a month

message 39: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Pavalok | 3 comments Ok thanks:) I will probably join in august...enjoy reading :)

Christina (keepcalmreadon) | 6 comments I'm enjoying this one so much, can't put it down...just left the pub early to come home and read! Nerd Alert :)

Nikki Mcgee | 209 comments I am late starting this as I kept putting it off because of the length. We are camping and it is raining so I took the weather as an excuse to start a new book.

100 pages in, am still daunted! I downloaded the audio version to listen to while we are on the road, it is 36 hours long.

Her descriptions of New York street life are so beautifully observed.

message 42: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Thought the writing in this was wonderful

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.