The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Report for Duty > Aloha!

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karissa J (new)

Karissa J Murrell Myers (karissaj) Greetings fellow book lovers! After spending a fair amount of time looking for a group to join, I finally decided to bite the bullet and join this one, mainly because the books I tend to read are of the "mystery, crime, thriller" genre. I am hoping to be exposed to new authors that write GOOD works of mystery, as I tend to strike out a lot all on my own and end up feeling irritated and disappointed when a book fails to deliver the punch, if you will.

A little about myself: graduate student here at the University of Hawaii. Artistic type. Married, no kids. Own one (1) ginger cat. Am pro-choice, pro-gun, and pro-food. I drive a sage green car and like to do the boringly usual Hawaiian things like hiking, beaching, eating poke, and complaining about traffic and Japanese tourists.

Glad to be here! Excited to read!

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael Smart | 25 comments Welcome Karissa, as a mystery author I'm happy to have another mystery loving reader aboard. Please check my Goodreads page, may be the type of good read you're looking for.

message 3: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5330 comments Mod
Welcome to the group, Karissa. I'm sure you'll get many excellent recommendations for new mystery writers. Feel free to explore our Group Read discussions; they might give you ideas.

message 4: by Overton (new)

Overton Scott | 19 comments Hi Karissa,

I'm new here myself, but after browsing some of the prior discussions, I'm sure you'll come away with some new authors to check out. I have.

message 5: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8416 comments Mod
Hi Karissa, and welcome to the group. You'll be overrun with recommendations here!

message 6: by Garrett (new)

Garrett Smith (garrettsmith) | 62 comments Karissa,

I thoroughly enjoyed your introduction. Can you tell us more about Hawaiian poke?

Here in the mainland, poke is a plant that grows wild. It has tall deep purple stems and large dark green leaves. Poke was once a dinner time staple. The leaves were boiled multiple times and then served with bits of bacon.

Some places - my mother's Missouri hometown for one - still celebrate Poke Salad Days. People dress up in hillbilly garb, and, well, eat poke salad.

Speaking of my mother, if you ask her about a book she read twenty-years ago, what she will remember best, is the descriptions of the food. She eats like a bird, but loves to read about what people eat.

All the best,
Cynthia (The Garrett half of Garrett Smith)

message 7: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 2178 comments Mod
Welcome Karissa!

message 8: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8416 comments Mod
Hi Karissa! Apologies for coming in late to your welcome, but I've been over in your neck of the woods for the last two weeks, on the big island.

Re poke: we stopped at a locals' poke place on our last day in Kona and loved it.

The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group

unread topics | mark unread

Authors mentioned in this topic

Garrett Smith (other topics)