Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

May 2014: Hunter's Claim > Alt Book: Collision

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Felicia, Grand Duchess (new)

Felicia (feliciaday) | 740 comments Mod
Wanted to start a thread for Collision, by Berinn Rae, our ALT book this month! Thoughts? I'm just starting now!

message 2: by Nemi (new)

Nemi For some reason I think the cover is really amusing. To me it looks like Earth is about to crash into two giant naked people asteroids! That would be quite a collision! *badumtzz*

I'm looking forward to reading it :)

message 3: by Felicia, Grand Duchess (new)

Nemi wrote: "For some reason I think the cover is really amusing. To me it looks like Earth is about to crash into two giant naked people asteroids! That would be quite a collision! *badumtzz*

I'm looking forw..."

It's like Beowulf, that CGI monstrosity a few years back? Where there was a fight and a candlestick covered someones junk? I can't remember specifically but at the time I was like, "WTF this is a classic book, what's going on with the whimsical junk covering?" Hawkeye also did this in one of the first Matt Fraction issues, but it was much funnier.

message 4: by Nemi (last edited May 06, 2014 11:31AM) (new)

Nemi DmC - Devil May Cry had a scene where the main character's junk was first covered by a baseball bat and then a slice of pizza. A candlestick seems oddly dignified in comparison and a whole planet just seems... overkill. I'm sure his junk is not THAT impressive. >_>

message 5: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (jordan_lusink) I'm about 10% in with the Kindle version, and first thoughts: wow, that escalated quickly. Getting to the sexy times right off the bat. I'm interested to see where this goes, but even with early sexy times, it already seems like there's going to be more development than in the main—which, granted, is not that difficult.

message 6: by Camilla (new)

Camilla (repressedpauper) Jordan wrote: "I'm about 10% in with the Kindle version, and first thoughts: wow, that escalated quickly. Getting to the sexy times right off the bat. I'm interested to see where this goes, but even with early se..."

Sounds awesome! To be honest I'm not really liking the main pick as of now, so I might end up reading the alt too if I have time.

message 7: by Agashi (new)

Agashi | 3 comments It is now my goal in life to use the term "whimsical junk-covering" in casual conversation with someone.

message 8: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (ahes) | 186 comments Hm. I'm feeling a bit disconnected with the story and the characters because of the time leap after they meet.

message 9: by Mysti Kay (new)

Mysti Kay Lamb (voodooblossoms) | 4 comments I was iffy with getting this book, as I am struggling to get through the main pick. This sounds a bit more promising. Will pick it up today.

message 10: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (jordan_lusink) Melissa wrote: "Hm. I'm feeling a bit disconnected with the story and the characters because of the time leap after they meet."

Yeah, after I got past the first 10%, that's about where that time jump happens.

Also, what's with, in both this book and the main, the focus on absolute maleness or femaleness. Sienna even says at one point, "Legian is first and foremost one hundred percent male, and that trumps where he was born any day of the week." (emphasis mine)

I feel like the same was true of Hunter's Claim, with the misogyny. (More about this in that thread.) I'm still only about 30% in on this book, so maybe that shifts, but somehow I don't think so.

Did anybody else get this impression? If so, why do you think that is the case here? I don't feel like this is true of all vaginal fantasy-style books, but maybe in a lot of them and I just haven't noticed as much.

message 11: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (jordan_lusink) I'm not sure if anybody else is having this issue, but I'm reading the Kindle version, and at some points it feels like there's a response or something missing.

Like this, 14% in:

"Where's the one that was with you?" he commanded, the gun never wavering from the bullseye right between her eyes."

"Tut, tut, Sienna. Then how'd you get two bikes out here?"

Oops."He ditched me."...

It's like the Kindle version just skips her response.

Anyone else have this in their version?

message 12: by Barbara (new)

Barbara D'aversa | 12 comments I've just started reading this one today. I was quite surprised when in page 24/25 all the fun started. But then I read the "you're my tahren" thing and I was like "Again?" Amate/Tahren, the same source used in two different books. That's coincidence!I've just started reading this one today. I was quite surprised when in page 24/25 all the fun started. But then I read the "you're my tahren" thing and I was like "Again?" Amate/Tahren, the same source used in two different books. That's coincidence.
Anyway, I won't judge it until I finished it.

message 13: by Melissa (last edited May 08, 2014 03:55PM) (new)

Melissa (ahes) | 186 comments Jordan wrote: "Also, what's with, in both this book and the main, the focus on absolute maleness or femaleness."

Exaclty. I'm trying my best to not pay too much attention to it, but it keeps on disrupting my reading experience. It's just a bit too extreme in both books this month to read over.

Also, this books feels pretty messy. On page 69 the author writes: For the record, Sephian food in general is lame. They're vegans. But then on page 112 Sienna says: After all, Sephians are vegetarians.

And on page 111 Sienna complains about her leg hurting and the lack of medicine for it:
Her leg now looked like it came off Frankenstein with its jagged stitches. It still hurt like a bitch. The Sephians had no concept of human medicine.
But on page 114 she says about a drinking game they had on the base: She had pain killers so she slept straight through her hangover.

I don't think Sephian painkillers exist since they can insta-heal? Risa even says at page 105 that it's a pity Sienna doesn't have their ability to heal and that she should now embrace the pain, like humans do, seeming to imply pain isn't really much of an issue for Sephians because of their healing ability.

message 14: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (ahes) | 186 comments I just looked on the author's website and she had a banner of VF saying Collision is our alt book for May. I also checked her Facebook, where she had also made a post about it:

Oh... WOW.... just wow. I have no freaking clue how it happend, but Felicia Day picked Collision (one of my Berinn Rae sci-fi romance books) for her Vaginal Fantasy book club this month. Seriously, I'm not making this up. You can see it on the right side of her page. Anyway, I thought that was insanely crazy cool so I wanted to share!! (x)

She seems excited! :)

message 15: by Nemi (new)

Nemi Aww, that's sweet!

message 16: by Felicia, Grand Duchess (new)

Nemi wrote: "Aww, that's sweet!" OMG that's awesome! About 1/3 of the way into the book, and yeah, that time jump was really jarring, i wanted to see all that happening off-screen, but I'm getting back into the story now, and definitely wanna see where it goes with these hot golden aliens and icky bat-aliens and earth, haha.

message 17: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (ahes) | 186 comments With a sharp intake of air, he arched his back in response, his cock colliding against her opening, nearly sending her over the edge before even penetrating her. (Page 156)

I have just decided that I'm going to view this "collision" as the one the title refers to.

message 18: by Frakki (new)

Frakki Karu | 509 comments Just read the free preview and liked it. Is it bad that I think knocking a guy out by kicking him in the head is way cool?

message 19: by Anna (new)

Anna | 135 comments How the F is it that the Sephians are from a planet with no sun, only moons? How can you have a moon without a sun? Just sayin'.

So far this book is better than the main, but still pretty bad. Dud month in my opinion.

message 20: by Frakki (new)

Frakki Karu | 509 comments They said no sun near their plant, not no sun at all.

message 21: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (jordan_lusink) Just laughed out loud at this: "You know, I'm pretty sure the Draeken are actually banging the chicks here. In the Biblical sense."

Banging in the Biblical sense. Classic.

message 22: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Kearney (makeralfish) Did one of the Draeken offer to get Sienna a pack wild hyenas or was that me? This is definitely a "so bad its good" kind of book

message 23: by Melissa (last edited May 14, 2014 05:37AM) (new)

Melissa (ahes) | 186 comments Margaret wrote: "Did one of the Draeken offer to get Sienna a pack wild hyenas or was that me? This is definitely a "so bad its good" kind of book"

Yes. But I can understand why he would believe it was a serious request, because:

description

description

description

description

message 24: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 221 comments Melissa wrote: "Margaret wrote: "Did one of the Draeken offer to get Sienna a pack wild hyenas or was that me? This is definitely a "so bad its good" kind of book"

Yes. But I can understand why he would believe i..."

OMG!! SOOO CUTE!!!!!

I definitely thought this book was better than the main pick. It could use some more fleshing out but I thought overall it was a fun fast read with some good sexy times.

message 25: by Frakki (new)

Frakki Karu | 509 comments I was surprised to find out the Sephian society was a matriarchy. It a nice Chang of pace. It seems like the men have equal rights so far. I'm not more than half way in, though.

message 26: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Kearney (makeralfish) Melissa wrote: "Margaret wrote: "Did one of the Draeken offer to get Sienna a pack wild hyenas or was that me? This is definitely a "so bad its good" kind of book"

Yes. But I can understand why he would believe i..."

Awwww I now want several of those.

message 27: by Felicia, Grand Duchess (new)

Golden semen. That is all. So enjoying this lol

message 28: by Barbara (new)

Barbara D'aversa | 12 comments Felicia wrote: "Golden semen. That is all. So enjoying this lol"

The moment I read that I couldn't stop thinking about this:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0-a...

(Today, as soon as I woke up, I did it.)

message 29: by Frakki (last edited May 13, 2014 07:46PM) (new)

Frakki Karu | 509 comments Just finished the book and I'm bummed over the ending. It is a big old cliffhanger!

Ive looked at the next book's cover and my suspicions about Nales and the second in command winged guy was right. I see golden winged babies in Lea's future.

I didn't mind the jump in time at the start of the book because it skipped over the whole "will they, won't they" part of romance books. Of course they will! So unless you have a smart new was to have people fall in love, just skip it. The bonding thing seemed like an efficient way to move them right into a relationship.

The book reminded me of Grimspace -- less romance book and more sci-fi action story with sex.

Some things annoyed me, like the killing of traitors right away. Shooting your mother dead before interrogating her? Not very smart. That whole thing was weird! I would want to know every single thing that got mom to the point of bringing a bomb on board. Now we will never know that story.

Anyways, not a bad read. I hope the next book is as good if not better.

What did people think of the gender roles? It was subtle, but I thought there were some interesting mixing of gender roles.

message 30: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (ahes) | 186 comments Barbara wrote: "The moment I read that I couldn't stop thinking about this: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0-a..."

That's awesome! It made me giggle. I think you are new in the group? If so, welcome, and I really like thinking you'll do drawings like this more often!

message 31: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (jordan_lusink) So, I liked this a lot better than the main. I do think the time jumps were sometimes a little jarring.

A big issue I had was, though the Sephian's are a matriarchal society, the type of relationships between the tahrens reminded me a lot of my problems with Twilight. I get that tahrens indicate that they're soulmates, pre-destined to be together, and I get that even in real life some people believe that there's a "the one" out there for everyone.

But the rhetoric around not being able to live without each other...I take issue with that. The same thing came up in Twilight, where Bella essentially decided she could not function without being with Edward. Those absolute statements of being in crippling emotional and psychological pain when away from your tahren were extreme and made me nervous. Maybe I'm being oversensitive there...

I also had a lot of consistency questions. Like during the attack on the base when only Sienna and Nalea were there, and apparently Nalea is the expert and Sienna has "no idea what to do," yet Sienna seems to be issuing all of the directives and Nalea is just following her. I thought that was weird.

And, as Frakki said, what's with just killing her mom? There was so much information that you could have gotten out of her, or at least tried. But Sienna felt the need to show her strength and commitment as a leader, so she just offs her mom? Harsh, even if her mom did betray them.

message 32: by Felicia, Grand Duchess (new)

Jordan wrote: "So, I liked this a lot better than the main. I do think the time jumps were sometimes a little jarring.

A big issue I had was, though the Sephian's are a matriarchal society, the type of relations..."

Just finished. I enjoyed this book as well, but yeah, killing her mom at the end was like "OH MY GOD!"

message 33: by Melissa (last edited May 15, 2014 01:12PM) (new)

Melissa (ahes) | 186 comments Frakki wrote: "I didn't mind the jump in time at the start of the book because it skipped over the whole "will they, won't they" part of romance books. Of course they will! So unless you have a smart new was to have people fall in love, just skip it. The bonding thing seemed like an efficient way to move them right into a relationship."

That's a really interesting view, Frakki! I think you certainly have a point, yet I feel that for me, personally, it just doesn't work. I need to see the relationship blossom or have little scenes that make me attached to the (perhaps already established) couple. Otherwise, I often find myself rooting for them to be with someone else. I didn't feel any connection toward Legian.

I also had the same reservations Jordan mentioned about the tahren bond. Therefore, I was actually hoping for Sienna to break the tahren bond and get together with Apollo. I know that he acted strange towards Sienna because seeing her and Legian made him miss his tahren, but I was really wishing it was because he wanted Sienna for himself.

What I liked about the book is that the main character isn't some young, virginesque girl. She actually already had a very valuable relationship in the past. I felt like this book is the story of how she isolated herself because she was broken by the loss of her husband and how she, by going with the Sephians, is trying to find a new place for herself in the world. That explained for me why she didn't seem very upset about the tahren bond. It was a way for her to function in the order of the world, she felt needed again, for the first time in a while, I assume.

That is illustrated further when she goes to the cabin and leaves the bracelet her husband had given her behind. It was her saying goodbye to her past. That escalated a bit with her killing her mother: now her connections to her life before Legian are severed.

I have to say I didn't like the ending at all. It felt very extreme and like mentioned before, unreasonable, seeing as that she could have gotten a lot more information out of her before conducting a trial of some sort. I think one would especially do that if the traitor happens to be someone one has a strong emotional connection with.

I felt it coming though, with the constant emphasis on how her mother wasn't really a mother to her. I felt that it was a way for the author to explain how Sienna could murder her so coldly. I suppose it also served as a way to show how jaded Sienna had become, and as a way to further explain her hostility against the Draeken, something that is worked out further in the next books.

Still, it felt very sudden and a bit like fridging. The mom was killed only so that the character of her daughter could be further evolved. I find that a bit of a cheap method in fiction. It's also a pity because, for me at least, the ending is often very important in forming my overall impression of a book. If a book is bad, but the ending is somehow lovely, I might feel more positive about the book when I go give it a rating and talk to other people about it.

I also feel like there was a very strong dichotomy: Draeken as the pure evil and Sephians as the good guys. This is something Sienna just assumes to be true. That annoyed me. She is not critical at all. How can she know? She doesn't know any of the context, except the few things Legian has told her. I felt it was largely again because she so badly wanted a new life, she didn't want to think they might not be the heroes she assumes them to be.

However! This changes with the second and third book. I went on a bit of a binge. (I need to finish my thesis, therefore I spend all my time avoiding just that and reading other things. It's a very, very bad habit of mine.)

The second book has a Draeken x Sephian pairing and is mostly set in Draeken bases. The third is about a Draeken x human.

I have to say, I really rather enjoyed the second book! Where things were pretty black and white in the first book, they now turn pretty grey. I also felt a much stronger connection with the characters. You get to see their relationship evolve, and I found myself really rooting for them.

Also: Draeken. In my mind I associate them very strongly with dragons (the wings, the fact that in my mother tongue, Dutch, the word for dragons is draken,...) so they are this cool dragon people, with silver hair (the sexy, otherworldy kind, not the old-people-kind), they wear kilts and they have strangly shaped penises. Because hey, they are aliens. They need strange penises. (It's really rather funny. They have a strange bend (I assume) because their wings limit their range of positions. They also come multiple times, and each time they do, their penis grows bigger.)

The second book has some issues, one of which is an awkward pacing at times. Just like the first book it could really have used a good editor, but all in all, it is a fun read.

I'm halfway in the third book now. I'm enjoying it as well, but not as much as the second.

message 34: by Frakki (last edited May 15, 2014 06:47PM) (new)

Frakki Karu | 509 comments I don't want to slam the author, who in thought came up with a fun and creative story, but I agree with Melissa and Jordan about the bonding. Not a healthy relationship. But, a useful plot device.

At least it's not as bad as Hunter's Claim were his Amate was his only sexual outlet. OMG that would drive me insane. After a week I would send him off to redtube with permission to share his seed with his hand.

message 35: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Crane-rosset | 104 comments Ok, this one I really liked. So much better than the main. I liked that the female lead was a woman who was a little bit older, and had some relationship experiance. It reminded me a lot of Alien Nation, what with the slave ship landing on Earth. Any of the aliens I couldn't remember thier names, I called George because of that. I knew, just knew that when her mom showed up, she was going to be working for the enemy. Still, it was kind of random that she killed her mom just out of hand like that.

Oh, and also, a pack of hyena pups sounds awesome. I would have said yes to an arranged political marriage in exchange for hyena pups.

message 36: by Felicia, Grand Duchess (new)

Auto bonding is a common trope in the genre, one I've steered clear of in our picks because it isn't something I love. Mostly it's a guy falling for a woman and them being reluctant to hook up and then okay with it, which is stalky to me.

I think the trope had gentler handling in this book though. I liked this couple. I would have liked to see the time jump material where she adjusted to the bond in th beginning, but I did enjoy the way it was consensual and actually seemed to work well in this book.

message 37: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (ahes) | 186 comments I was in a Lush store today and I kept on giggling because I was constantly reminded of Barbara's drawing. They had a whole bunch of products that were meant to leave a golden shimmer on your skin!

message 38: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (dodgergirl99) | 39 comments I enjoyed this book a lot more than the main. But wow...I can't believe she killed her mom! And of course with all the unresolved story, I have no choice but to read the next one...

message 39: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 221 comments Andrea wrote: "I enjoyed this book a lot more than the main. But wow...I can't believe she killed her mom! And of course with all the unresolved story, I have no choice but to read the next one..."

I read the second one right away too, it was on par with the first one, so I'd definitely say go for it if you liked the first. I am working on the third now! :)

message 40: by Gina (new)

Gina Briganti | 78 comments Jordan wrote: "I'm not sure if anybody else is having this issue, but I'm reading the Kindle version, and at some points it feels like there's a response or something missing.

Like this, 14% in:

"Where's the on..."

Jordan, I have this in my version, also. I'm 44% in now and it hasn't happened again. I think it may have been deleted out by accident during copy editing.

message 41: by Gina (new)

Gina Briganti | 78 comments Whitney wrote: "Andrea wrote: "I enjoyed this book a lot more than the main. But wow...I can't believe she killed her mom! And of course with all the unresolved story, I have no choice but to read the next one..."..."

I'm 25% through Explosion. Did you continue on with the series?

message 42: by Gina (new)

Gina Briganti | 78 comments I enjoyed Collision. I'm glad I joined the group because I wouldn't have discovered this book, author, and series without it.

message 43: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 221 comments Gina wrote: "Whitney wrote: "Andrea wrote: "I enjoyed this book a lot more than the main. But wow...I can't believe she killed her mom! And of course with all the unresolved story, I have no choice but to read ..."

I read the entire trilogy and I really liked the whole thing. The third one felt like it focused a little less on the romance then the other two did, but I still really enjoyed it and it still fit the series well and wrapped things up nicely.

message 44: by Gina (new)

Gina Briganti | 78 comments Whitney wrote: "Gina wrote: "Whitney wrote: "Andrea wrote: "I enjoyed this book a lot more than the main. But wow...I can't believe she killed her mom! And of course with all the unresolved story, I have no choice..."

Good to know! I've been enjoying it, too.

message 45: by Krysta (new)

Krysta MacDonald (krystamacdonald) | 12 comments I am with pretty much everyone else. I enjoyed this book WAY more than the main for the month of May (yes, the time-jumps were particularly annoying, but whatever...)

Um, why exactly was this the alt-pick and not main pick? I understand that after the previous month's books and their rape-scenes that this one was avoided for that reason... was it the bonding, which left no room for discussion?

Just curious as to people's reactions to that in relation with previous scenes.