What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Fantasy/Adventure Book

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shane (last edited May 06, 2014 03:13PM) (new)

Shane Spode | 2 comments I read this book around 5 years ago, I cannot remember it's publish date, author, book-cover or any of the characters name in the book. I'll give a rather detailed description to what was in the book, and also it's general plot.

The beginning is a small group of travellers wondering together, on the search for something or somewhere (I forget which). One of them is a girl who's grown up living in tree-top canopies on her own, and has somehow accumulated an enormous amount of currency and wealth (likely stealing). There are a few males, one of them the main character, don't remember much about them. I know at once point they get caught in a trap by either goblins or orcs, or some other foul creature. They eventually manage to cut themselves out of the net whilst the creatures are arguing over who gets to eat what. The creatures end up slaughtering each other over the heated argument, but some survive and begin to pursue the adventurers.

The adventurers finally out-run the creatures and cross a small lake if I remember correctly, and have placed themselves near a small shop and ranch. They go inside and look around, the girl prefers to stay outside as she isn't fond of man-made structures. They buy some rope and some bread which inflates when touched by water (forget if they buy anything else). A man then walks in and casually buys a piece of the rope. The shopkeeper sees a small tattoo or marking on the man's body somewhere (possibly one of his arms), and gives him a considerable price-cut because of this. The protagonist then becomes angry at why he had to pay much more for the rope. They eventually come to the conclusion that they need some kind of steed if they are going to get to their destination. They collectively add their currency together to find that they're not even close to having enough money. That's when the girl whom I mentioned earlier on (with all of the currency she'd accumulated over time), tipped a bag of gold all over the table. The shopkeepers eye's glisten at the gold, and he willingly takes the gold for exchange of the steeds. They expect the steeds to be horses, however they're strange creatures which they'd never seen before, yet the shopkeeper reassures them that they're good steeds and they make a deal. They all have names, (I think one was called "Pip", however I can not remember). Two words were shouted to make them go and stop (I also cannot remember these two words).

They take off on these creatures, which are surprisingly fast. Eventually they come to a crossroad or something similar, when the creatures run out of control.

After this, my memory of what happens becomes quite vague.

After that they awaken in a large place, where there is some sort of stirrup over the adventure's eating the natives of this places' food sacredly, and I believe they escape in some manner. They eventually reach this enormous sea, cross it somehow, run into some kind of threat, reach this large city, and they fight some large creature in the city, I think it's a massive snake. I believe after this event, the book ends. I also think the snake has some sort of crown with a gem in-bedded in it, on it's head. I may be completed wrong about this though.

Thank you for reading, and if you can tell me anything about this book, or possibly just suggest what I may be, I'd be incredibly grateful!

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6981 comments Mod
Was this an adult, NA, children's, or YA book?

message 3: by Shane (last edited May 06, 2014 10:55PM) (new)

Shane Spode | 2 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Was this an adult, NA, children's, or YA book?"

I'm pretty sure it was teenager/YA, I seem to remember the same snake from the end being on the bookcover now, a very large snake, I'm not 100% certain though.

message 4: by Bryan457 (new)

Bryan457 | 284 comments Maybe Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1) by Kristin Cashore

message 5: by SparksofEmber (last edited May 09, 2014 11:26AM) (new)

SparksofEmber | 943 comments Maybe a Pip & Flinx book?

Are you sure it was a snake and not a dragon?

I've read Graceling, it's definitely not that.

message 6: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6981 comments Mod
Titan and/or it's companion novel Wizard?

message 7: by Meg (new)

Meg (lollylopmr) | 17 comments This sounds like the Deltora Quest Series by Emily Rodda

message 8: by SparksofEmber (new)

SparksofEmber | 943 comments Deltora Quest Deltora Quest (Deltora Quest, #1-8) by Emily Rodda for the link.

message 9: by Meg (new)

Meg (lollylopmr) | 17 comments SparksofEmber wrote: "Deltora QuestDeltora Quest (Deltora Quest, #1-8) by Emily Rodda for the link."

You described the second book of this collection perfectly

message 10: by B.L. (new)

B.L. Callaghan (biancacallaghan) definately sounds like the deltora quest series!

message 11: by SparksofEmber (new)

SparksofEmber | 943 comments Pm'd Shane as he doesn't seem to have been back since May.

message 12: by SparksofEmber (new)

SparksofEmber | 943 comments No reply since October...