Dreamspinner Press discussion

Meet the Author > Meet Jackson Cordd

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dreamspinner (new)

Dreamspinner Press (dreamspinnerpress) | 2637 comments Mod
Meet Jackson Cordd, author of the new book "Raven Feathers" this Saturday, May 10th from 1-4pm Eastern/10am-1pm Pacific right here!

message 2: by Jackson (new)

Jackson Cordd | 24 comments Howdy All,

Jackson Cordd here, very excited about the release of "Raven Feathers", the third in my sci-fi novella series.

*waves*

message 3: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 426 comments Jackson wrote: "Howdy All,

Jackson Cordd here, very excited about the release of "Raven Feathers", the third in my sci-fi novella series.

*waves*"

Good afternoon! Question for you - how do you choose your titles?

message 4: by Jackson (new)

Jackson Cordd | 24 comments Hey Andrea,

Typically, there'll be an object or phrase in the book that inspires the title. For instance with this one, the necklace is significant to Rourke's part of the story, so it seemed pretty obvious to me.

For some of my other works, i did struggle a bit more over titles. For instance, the 1st draft title for "Shamrock Green" was actually, 'magical steam', which got changed about half a dozen times before i settled on naming it after the location where all the action takes place.

Thanks for the great question Andrea

Jax

message 5: by Jackson (new)

Jackson Cordd | 24 comments Just out of curiosity, how many of you have read "Duanta Beads"?

Jax

message 6: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 426 comments Jackson wrote: "Just out of curiosity, how many of you have read "Duanta Beads"?

Jax"

I have to confess that I haven't read any of your work yet but I just read the Duanta blurb and it sounds fascinating.

message 7: by Jackson (new)

Jackson Cordd | 24 comments Thanks, i'm rather proud of it. Even though it's a post-apocalyptic sci-fi, I stayed focused on the 'human' side of the story, really delving into how Evan feels about everything and his thought process as his whole perspective of the world changes.

Jax

Roger - president of NBR United - (roger_presidentofnbrunited) | 30 comments Hello there Like andrea I have not read any of your books but they seem to be interesting going by the blurbs.

message 9: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 426 comments How many books do you have planned for the Quantinum series?

message 10: by Jackson (new)

Jackson Cordd | 24 comments Thanks Roger :) Most people automatically assume that because it's post-apoc, then it must be all dark and angsty.

That's not really my style though... I have more of a breezy, light-hearted tone, like Robert Heinlein, but the strange plot complexities of Kurt Vonnegut.

Jax

message 11: by Jackson (new)

Jackson Cordd | 24 comments Well Andrea, if I continue with the 'novella' format, it will take about 3 more to finish. But after attending the Dreamspinner conference in April and having some planning sessions, I'm thinking it might be best to bundle the last part of the series together into one full novel.

So once I finish the new novel I started, I'll return to the future (lol) and complete the story.

Jax

message 12: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 426 comments Jackson wrote: "Well Andrea, if I continue with the 'novella' format, it will take about 3 more to finish. But after attending the Dreamspinner conference in April and having some planning sessions, I'm thinking i..."

Now I'm curious - what are you working on now?

message 13: by Jackson (new)

Jackson Cordd | 24 comments Well... my working title so far is "Deke's Destiny", and its a contemporary story, involving a gypsy singer with a gift for love songs, a guy who's turned his back on his rich and prominent family, and a young, insecure man scarred by a nasty childhood. It's been a great deal of fun so far :)

Jax

message 14: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 426 comments Jackson wrote: "Well... my working title so far is "Deke's Destiny", and its a contemporary story, involving a gypsy singer with a gift for love songs, a guy who's turned his back on his rich and prominent family,..."

Which one is Deke?

message 15: by Jackson (new)

Jackson Cordd | 24 comments Deke, (which is a nickname taken from his initials D.E.K.), is the guy from the powerful family.

Jeremy is the young guy, and he's an avid Whovian (Dr. Who fan) that loves to cosplay.

The story is about them and their budding relationship.

Speaking of fandom and cosplay, do any of you enjoy attending conventions?

Jax

message 16: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 426 comments Jackson wrote: "Deke, (which is a nickname taken from his initials D.E.K.), is the guy from the powerful family.

Jeremy is the young guy, and he's an avid Whovian (Dr. Who fan) that loves to cosplay.

The story i..."

Never been to a book related convention - how do you like them? Any favorites?

message 17: by Jackson (new)

Jackson Cordd | 24 comments Well, I had a blast at Rainbow-Con in Tampa a few weeks ago. It's always fun to hang out and meet readers/ other writers in a fun, party atmosphere.

I also like the more sci-fi/fantasy related conventions, and try to visit either Dragon*Con or Bent-Con every year. This year I will probably do Bent-Con (in Burbank)

Jax

Jax

message 18: by Jackson (new)

Jackson Cordd | 24 comments So I keep looking at all the banner ads, and I have to ask, what's the deal with all the zombies lately?

Jax

Roger - president of NBR United - (roger_presidentofnbrunited) | 30 comments Jackson wrote: "Thanks Roger :) Most people automatically assume that because it's post-apoc, then it must be all dark and angsty.

That's not really my style though... I have more of a breezy, light-hearted tone..."

I know I usually avoid Post Apoc for just the reason you mentioned, while I don't mind a little dark and a little angst -- a full length book of it would drive me crazy.

Roger - president of NBR United - (roger_presidentofnbrunited) | 30 comments Jackson wrote: "So I keep looking at all the banner ads, and I have to ask, what's the deal with all the zombies lately?

Jax"

Gah probably my biggest turn off -- Zombies. I just don't get the attraction the writers and readers have for them. Give me a nice sexy vampire and I am happy but a zombie ugh!!!

message 21: by Jackson (new)

Jackson Cordd | 24 comments I usually follow a variation of the hero's journey model, which doesn't call for much angst. Most of the angsty stuff is in the character's history. I'm an optimist at heart, and that hopefulness tends to color my writing more than anything else.

Jax

message 22: by Jackson (new)

Jackson Cordd | 24 comments Yeah Roger, i agree with you totally with the zombies. I even tried watching 'Walking Dead' because everybody talked it up so much, but after about 3 episodes, it just seemed gross and silly, and i quit the series.

Jax

message 23: by Jackson (new)

Jackson Cordd | 24 comments So, we've got a vote for sexy vampires... what about werewolves / shifters? Who enjoys those?

Jax

message 24: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 426 comments Jackson wrote: "So, we've got a vote for sexy vampires... what about werewolves / shifters? Who enjoys those?

Jax"

Love all of them but vamps are my favorite.

Roger - president of NBR United - (roger_presidentofnbrunited) | 30 comments Andrea wrote: "Jackson wrote: "So, we've got a vote for sexy vampires... what about werewolves / shifters? Who enjoys those?

Jax"

Love all of them but vamps are my favorite."

I love Shifters and Vampires but leave the Zombies in the graveyard I don't want them crashing my party.

message 26: by Jackson (new)

Jackson Cordd | 24 comments LOL Roger

Well, I haven't had any inspiration for a vampire story yet. I *do* have some werewolf notions, but I several other projects to tend to before I can think about that one.

Jax

Roger - president of NBR United - (roger_presidentofnbrunited) | 30 comments Let us know when the werewolf stories come up. I think both Andrea and I would be interested.

message 28: by Jackson (new)

Jackson Cordd | 24 comments Well, i'll be sure to have a release party about it :)

message 29: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 426 comments Roger wrote: "Let us know when the werewolf stories come up. I think both Andrea and I would be interested."

Yes!

message 30: by Jackson (new)

Jackson Cordd | 24 comments But Andrea, you don't think the market is too flooded with vampires and werewolves right now?

Jax

Roger - president of NBR United - (roger_presidentofnbrunited) | 30 comments You can never have to much werewolves and/or Vampires. I know you asked Andrea but I have to put in my comments.

message 32: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 426 comments Jackson wrote: "But Andrea, you don't think the market is too flooded with vampires and werewolves right now?

Jax"

Not really but I read an awful lot and cycle through contemporary, fantasy, paranormal, suspense. It's difficult to find enough suspense or paranormal. I lump vamps, shifters, ghosts, etc in the paranormal category.

message 33: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 426 comments Roger wrote: "You can never have to much werewolves and/or Vampires. I know you asked Andrea but I have to put in my comments."

Amen!

message 34: by Jackson (new)

Jackson Cordd | 24 comments I apologize Roger, I actually meant that question for both of you :(

I'm curious, do you also consider love spells, or fairies/sprites with a magical portal to be paranormal? Or do you think of magical things more as fantasy?

Jax

message 35: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 426 comments Jackson wrote: "I apologize Roger, I actually meant that question for both of you :(

I'm curious, do you also consider love spells, or fairies/sprites with a magical portal to be paranormal? Or do you think of ma..."

I consider them to be fantasy but that's just my classification system.

Roger - president of NBR United - (roger_presidentofnbrunited) | 30 comments I think they fit in both categories, and I love both categories. granted I could see a book with a magic portal say that I would only categorize on way or the other. It would depend on how it is used in the story.

message 37: by Jackson (new)

Jackson Cordd | 24 comments Then I wonder if I shouldn't reclassify "Cleats" as fantasy instead of paranormal, since it has to do with psychic premonitions. But then again, that might create a whole 'nuther set of unintended expectations for readers.

message 38: by Jackson (new)

Jackson Cordd | 24 comments Roger, then I would say "Shamrock Green" fits best with the fantasy genre, since the whole structure is like the old fantasy-adventure stories.

Roger - president of NBR United - (roger_presidentofnbrunited) | 30 comments for me it is if you have a magic portal in an otherwise modern setting that would be paranormal but if you have it in somewhere that is clearly not earthly or where the whole plot of the story is obviously fantasy setting it is fantasy. but don't forget the whole urban fantasy category which I feels meshes with the paranormal setting.

message 40: by Jackson (new)

Jackson Cordd | 24 comments Urban-Fantasy is the class Dreamspinner put it in, i guess because of the contemporary elements.

Roger - president of NBR United - (roger_presidentofnbrunited) | 30 comments and for me psychic premonition are usually considered paranormal while magic based one are more likely to be fantasy. an exception would be the heraldic mind magic of Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar setting.

message 42: by Jackson (new)

Jackson Cordd | 24 comments :) Oh, such a *great* universe, definitely what I would call "high fantasy"

message 43: by Jackson (new)

Jackson Cordd | 24 comments Hey all, looks like my chat time is about up. Any last minute questions for me?

message 44: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 426 comments Jackson wrote: "Hey all, looks like my chat time is about up. Any last minute questions for me?"

Is there a discount code for any of your books?

message 45: by Jackson (new)

Jackson Cordd | 24 comments Yep, there sure is, Dreamspinner gave me the code

Cordd0510

It's case sensitive, so keep that in mind when entering it. It'll give 25% off all my works for today :)

message 46: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 426 comments Jackson wrote: "Yep, there sure is, Dreamspinner gave me the code

Cordd0510

It's case sensitive, so keep that in mind when entering it. It'll give 25% off all my works for today :)"

Thank you! It's been nice chatting with you this afternoon. Have a wonderful evening.

message 47: by Jackson (new)

Jackson Cordd | 24 comments You too Andrea.

And Roger, it's been great having you stop by.

Everybody have a good evening,

Jax

message 48: by Bookwatcher (new)

Bookwatcher  (bookwatcher) | 51 comments Jackson wrote: "Yep, there sure is, Dreamspinner gave me the code

Cordd0510

It's case sensitive, so keep that in mind when entering it. It'll give 25% off all my works for today :)"

Thank you! I will use it to get Raven Feathers
:))))