A Foray Into Fantasy discussion

General > Favourite Fantasy Series

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms (last edited May 11, 2014 02:42PM) (new)

Scott (scott18044) | 23 comments Mod
An obvious question for a group like this: We all have our favourite fantasy books/ series, so what's yours?

I am in the huge crowd of people who would say A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin is their favourite fantasy series. I'm sure I don't have to convince many people why it's my favourite, because so many aspects of the books are fantastic. I do think A Storm of Swords: Steel and Snow is somewhat of a weak link in the series (I really struggled with this book in particular), but on the whole I absolutely loved it.

As well as A Song of Ice and Fire, I really enjoyed the Farseer/ Tawny Man trilogies by Robin Hobb and the Riyria Revelations/ Chronicles by Michael J. Sullivan.

Your turn! Feel free to latch onto what other people are talking about and give an opinion too, but again, try to be mindful of spoilers on this part of the group.

message 2: by Ashley, Khaleesi across the Narrow Sea (new)

Ashley (ashleydpt) | 32 comments Mod
I think my favorite fantasy series by far has to be A Song of Ice and Fire But I feel like that's the answer people expect because it's such a hugely popular one. I could basically go on and on and on about all the reasons I love it but it's probably all the same reasons you've read over and over again.

So, due to the above reasons, I'll list my second favorite series, which was the Farseer trilogy/tawny man trilogy by Robin Hobb. It was so much different than asoiaf because it was told in first person but I read through them so quickly. The detail was rich and I found myself becoming emotionally involved with all the characters pretty quickly. Some series you don't really care what happens to the main characters or you don't give it much thought but I found myself completely and totally invested. Also, not many series make me cry, and this one totally did. So bonus points for that. I loved it so much. That being said, I don't know if I'd ever want to see it adapted as a movie or TV series. I think it's perfect in written form.