Editors and Writers discussion

New freelance editor looking to get experience

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gavin (new)

Gavin Wichmann | 5 comments Hey, my name is Gavin Wichmann, and I'm trying to break into book editing. I'm a graduating creative writing major with a few proofreading jobs under my belt, but I'm hoping to move further in the freelancing field.

I've been editing people's work for a few years now, from my many workshop classes to the website I wrote and proofread for. At this point I'm ready for something more.

If you have a work that you'd like to get looked over, try coming to me. I can edit it for grammar, or provide a practiced eye for content and development. Really, I'm up for anything, just give me a try.

My preferred genres would be fantasy/sci-fi, but I've read/edited things from many genres over the past couple years. Once again, I'm up for anything.

Prices will be discussed with me, but I won't be charging very much. I'm aware that I'm new to this field, so the price will reflect that. This is more for me to garner experience than it is to make money at this point.

If you're interested, just contact me on my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/gavin.wichmann
If I'm successful enough I'll have website to contact me from, but this will do for now.

message 2: by Gavin (new)

Gavin Wichmann | 5 comments Joe wrote: "Hi Gavin,

I think it's a great thing that you are pursuing a career in editing and I would really like to support that if all is well.

I am currently revamping my first book. New covers, new blur..."

Thanks for responding so quickly Joe!

I'll email you back immediately to work out the specifics.

message 3: by Tony (new)

Tony Denn (tonydenn) | 3 comments Hi Gavin,

To what extent are you looking to edit people's work? Are you looking for people who need the full package (story, word choice, spelling, grammar, etc) or is it more line-editing?

I have beta readers looking at story for me, but I may be looking for line-edits shortly (spelling, grammar). Also, I am working in Britain on a U.S.-set crime novel, so making sure it sounds American throughout would be helpful, eg, nobody "pops" to the shops or gets a gun out of their car "boot". There's only so much a U.S. spell-check can pick up.

message 4: by Gavin (new)

Gavin Wichmann | 5 comments Hey Tony,

At this point I'm looking for anything. While I aim to do more of the full package stuff you mentioned, I'm open to doing any editing work to gain experience.

I'd love to do line-edits, or the British to U.S. English transitions. Just message me on here, or email me at gavinwichmann@gmail.com

message 5: by Tony (new)

Tony Denn (tonydenn) | 3 comments Thanks, Gavin. I'm waiting on some betas re story/character etc so once I've got that down I'll get in touch.

message 6: by J.M. (new)

J.M. (jmchalker) | 27 comments hi Gavin are you still looking for new projects? I was working on a novel with my editor but unfortunately she is unable to finish the project due to personal reasons. my novel is for paranormal young adult. my grammar is a little bit on the rusty side as I have a learners disability but I would really like to see this project finished. if your interested my email address is jodiemchalker@yahoo.com.au my authors fb page if you like to check out my book is jmchalker@facebook.com thank you.

message 7: by Gavin (new)

Gavin Wichmann | 5 comments Hi Jodi!

Yeah, I'm still looking for new projects. I'd love to help you with this as well. You can expect an email from me tomorrow morning!

message 8: by J.M. (new)

J.M. (jmchalker) | 27 comments I am having trouble setting internet up at my house ! But I'll be back on line on Friday! I vist mum three times a week and I burrow her wifi! Are up okay if I give you three chapters of a sample of the version we are up to to see if you like it? We have also been diverting the book to American grammar since my characters live in the USA thanks for responding

message 9: by Gavin (new)

Gavin Wichmann | 5 comments Sure, that sounds perfect! I just sent you an email, take a look whenever you're able.