Indie Author Network discussion

Book Marketing > What Is Your Greatest Book Marketing Pain As An Author

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mayowa (new)

Mayowa Ajisafe (mayowaajisafe) | 35 comments Mod
Hi All My Author Friend,

It's been quite some days now that I've created this group and my sole aim of creating this group is to create an avenue for authors especially indie authors to discuss way to improve on our book marketing effort to get the best result.

In the past few days,I've been working with an author friend of mine who is also a client of mine to launch her book to the top spot in the Historical Fiction Sub Section of Amazon Kindle Store and i must say it has been quite an experience with lot of book marketing lesson to learn.

But if you ask me what special way or strategy do i use to achieve this and i won't be blink an eye before telling you it's Facebook Ads but that by the way,I've written some posts about How To Use Facebook Ads to market and promotes book and anyone interested can visit the 3 links below:

http://www.authorscrib.com/will-faceb...

http://www.authorscrib.com/facebook-m...

and

http://www.authorscrib.com/how-to-use...

I'm presently writing a detailed case study of how i helped my author friend and client to achieve this lovely book marketing result with just Facebook Ads even not minding the fact that her books is somehow hard to market - she is a special writer who write historical fiction in a rhythmic prose fashion.

So watch out for that post.

But,i will like to create an open discussion here about what is really the greatest book marketing pain for we authors.

Kindly leave a comment here to tell us your greatest book marketing pain so we can discuss ways out of the pain together.

All My Best

Mayowa

AuthorsCrib.com

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mzhartz) | 1 comments The greatest pain for me is, well, all of it. I'd rather be writing than marketing. Writing feels natural and enjoyable. Marketing feels like too much work that takes too much time.

message 3: by Mayowa (new)

Mayowa wrote: "Hi All My Author Friend,

It's been quite some days now that I've created this group and my sole aim of creating this group is to create an avenue for authors especially indie authors to discuss wa..."

Thanks Michelle,

Surely you are not alone.

Marketing is really a big deal for many indie authors.

Expect a mail from me in your inbox addressing your concerns.

Cheers!

message 4: by Bri (new)

Bri  | 4 comments My pain would be starting from the bottom, my writer platform is pretty non-existent. Ive been reading about all these strategies, but they dont work without an audience. I recently created a Facebook page so any likes would be appreciated. Link

message 5: by Mayowa (new)

Bri wrote: "My pain would be starting from the bottom, my writer platform is pretty non-existent. Ive been reading about all these strategies, but they dont work without an audience. I recently created a Fac..."

Thanks Bri for your comment and reply to my question.

I just visit your Facebook page and i must say that could be the springboard for building your email list and author platform.

I will like to have a detailed chat with you on ways you can go about this and it will be cool if you can take a trip to http://www.authorscrib.com/free-book-... and let's have a chat on ways you can leverage Facebook and Goodreads to achieve all these book marketing goals.

Cheers!

message 6: by Lilian (new)

Lilian (lilianjgardner) Michelle wrote: "The greatest pain for me is, well, all of it. I'd rather be writing than marketing. Writing feels natural and enjoyable. Marketing feels like too much work that takes too much time."

You hit the nail on the head, Michelle. I feel exactly the same as you do.

message 7: by James (new)

James McCormick | 9 comments Michelle and Lilian- I feel exactly the same way. Some people are more suited to this side of things than others, I just want to write.

message 8: by Lilian (new)

Lilian (lilianjgardner) James A wrote: "Michelle and Lilian- I feel exactly the same way. Some people are more suited to this side of things than others, I just want to write."

That makes three of us, James. It's comforting to know.

message 9: by Mayowa (new)

Thanks for everyone who have contributed in one way or the other to this discussion.

I have an idea to address all the issues raised by all here which i see to be a common thing to everyone.

Why not have a mastermind session via Facebook Chat or over Skype and everyone explained what and what have been done in the past that never worked and i can take it from there to discuss ways out of all those from my own experience of playing the somehow muddy waters of book marketing.

Or i should create another discussion here to act as a mastermind discussion pane to share all these and execute this idea of mine.

What do you all think?

message 10: by Ben (new)

Ben Tousey | 1 comments I'm late to this conversation, but I would say that to me, the greatest pain is the insecurity. I'll be writing, and a thought will suddenly hit me: "You're not that great of a writer..." "nobody is ever going to read this book..." "people will hate this book..." "this story is really not that great..." and my all time favorite... "It's all coming to an end anyway, so why even bother." It's a long list, but they show up over and over again during the course of my writing.

message 11: by Lilian (new)

Lilian (lilianjgardner) You are not alone, Ben.
Believe in yourself. Somebody is sure to read your book and appreciate it.
Best of luck.
Lilian.

message 12: by Mayowa (new)

Ben wrote: "I'm late to this conversation, but I would say that to me, the greatest pain is the insecurity. I'll be writing, and a thought will suddenly hit me: "You're not that great of a writer..." "nobody i..."

Thanks for joining in the discussion Ben.

I once read a post by Joanna Penn of The Creative Penn Blog about her struggle with been a creative writer and doubts that anyone will like her book.

Her response to that little stubborn voice of self doubt is "I'm a creative writer"

I so much believe that everyone even non authors have one thing inside that someone else will find either helpful,interesting or educating. So if this is so,why thinking having the self doubt and even ruining it all before anyone will even come out to say it?

Till today,i always remind myself of the fact that I'm a creative writer and with that - i'm super energize,ready to write out my heart and mind for that one person who will find what I have to say helpful.

message 13: by Mayowa (new)

Lilian wrote: "You are not alone, Ben.
Believe in yourself. Somebody is sure to read your book and appreciate it.
Best of luck.
Lilian."

Lillian,Just as you said it! Gbam!

message 14: by Nyla (new)

Nyla Nox (nylanox) | 1 comments Michelle wrote: "The greatest pain for me is, well, all of it. I'd rather be writing than marketing. Writing feels natural and enjoyable. Marketing feels like too much work that takes too much time."

completely agree. yes, all of it... I want the time to be a writer!!!

message 15: by James (new)

James McCormick | 9 comments Mayowa wrote: "Thanks for everyone who have contributed in one way or the other to this discussion.

I have an idea to address all the issues raised by all here which i see to be a common thing to everyone.

Why ..."

I'd would be very happy to do the latter

message 16: by Mayowa (new)

James A wrote: "Mayowa wrote: "Thanks for everyone who have contributed in one way or the other to this discussion.

I have an idea to address all the issues raised by all here which i see to be a common thing to ..."

Sure James,we will be happy to hear you out.

message 17: by James (new)

James McCormick | 9 comments Thanks Mayowa - how do we set it up and how many others are interested?

by the way - I wanted to share a link with everyone here about FB likes. I had no idea about any of this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVfHe...

Anyway, I've got my third book coming out in the next week, A sword and socercy novella.
I know now twitter makes no difference at all to sales. Maybe I'm doing it wrong but I've followed all the advice regarding this and been at it hard for months and months.
FB groups too seem to make no difference. Lots of good advice, page likes and shares etc... but no sales.
I'm also exhausted with peer reviews which seem to be the only way to generate sales - I really have burnt myself out here though and need a break.
Also, I don't have the freedom to change sales price or offer giveways/ countdowns on Amazon (my publishers don't participate).
So really I'm out of options (maybe I should go the indipub route).
Need a whole new step by step plan - otherwise there is no point.

James

message 18: by Mayowa (new)

Hi James,

Please take a trip to http://www.authorscrib.com/the-8020-n...

In the posts,i really answer the question you once asked me in details based on the a message you once sent to me.

You should get some ideas of what you should do without wasting time or energy to get your books out there.

If you have any question or comment,kindly send me a mail.

Cheers!

message 19: by Angela (new)

Angela Tyler | 3 comments My biggest pain is trying to figure out what marketing is "real" and what is busy work. Also, by the time something becomes a Must Do, everybody is doing it, and it is no longer effective.

message 20: by James (new)

James McCormick | 9 comments Angela wrote: "My biggest pain is trying to figure out what marketing is "real" and what is busy work. Also, by the time something becomes a Must Do, everybody is doing it, and it is no longer effective."

that's an excellent point, being "busy" doesn't necessarily mean you are achieving anything

message 21: by Scott (new)

Scott Zavoda (ScottZavoda) | 1 comments Finding places where your potential audience isn't sick of being marketed to is the hardest pain. Also finding places which aren't already crawling with other authors.

message 22: by Angela (new)

Angela Tyler | 3 comments Scott wrote: "Finding places where your potential audience isn't sick of being marketed to is the hardest pain. Also finding places which aren't already crawling with other authors."

So true! Those "free author listing" sites remind me of huge phone books. Names after names after names....

message 23: by Mayowa (new)

Angela wrote: "My biggest pain is trying to figure out what marketing is "real" and what is busy work. Also, by the time something becomes a Must Do, everybody is doing it, and it is no longer effective."

Thanks Angela for your response.

I understand the fact that there of lot pf "here now" and "here theres" online when it comes to advice and what to do with book marketing but really,many things most authors are doing are just pure waste of time.

Name it - Twitter,yes,i have spend months growing my Twitter follower and after so many hours of my days spend doing that,nothing happened.

I can count lot of things authors are doing which are just mere waste of time and energy.

I once wrote a blog post title The 80/20 Guide To Book Marketing and i was surprised at the response from my group members and my LinkedIn followers when i publish the post on LinkedIn and that tells me something that one main pain common to all authors is what to do and how to do it to get their book out there.

You can find the post here at http://www.authorscrib.com/the-8020-n...

I hope you will find it helpful.

My book with lot of great instrctions,cheat sheets,interviews with best selling authors and so on is about to be ready and when i am done with it, i will post the link here but in the mean time,you can join my email list at http://www.authorscrib.com/free-book and you will be notified when the guide is ready.

If you have any question or will like to talk to me to figure out ways to get your book out there,feel free to mail me at Mayowa@AuthorsCrib.com. I do respond to all my mails promptly.

Cheers!

Mayowa

message 24: by Mayowa (new)

Scott wrote: "Finding places where your potential audience isn't sick of being marketed to is the hardest pain. Also finding places which aren't already crawling with other authors."

Hi Scott,thanks for your response I really appreciate it.

To your question, one thing you should focus on now is building your author platform and your email list because that is the only way to long term success with book marketing.

Read my comment to Angela;s question and read my blog post at http://www.authorscrib.com/the-8020-n...

If your have any question or will like to talk to me about your book (i will be happy to hear from you,feel free to hit me a mail at Mayowa@AuthorsCrib.com

Cheers!

Mayowa

message 25: by Mayowa (new)

James A wrote: "Angela wrote: "My biggest pain is trying to figure out what marketing is "real" and what is busy work. Also, by the time something becomes a Must Do, everybody is doing it, and it is no longer effe..."

Hi James,

Good to hear from you again.

Seems i am seeing a kind of trend here with almost the same response just a bit different in one little way or the other.

I believe everyone should be able to get one or two tips from my reply to Angela's response.

Cheers!

message 26: by Angela (new)

Angela Tyler | 3 comments Mayowa wrote: "Angela wrote: "My biggest pain is trying to figure out what marketing is "real" and what is busy work. Also, by the time something becomes a Must Do, everybody is doing it, and it is no longer effe..."

Thanks for the link to the post. I will read it IMMEDIATELY :) I am looking forward to your book. You could help a lot of frustrated writers...

message 27: by Mayowa (new)

Mayowa wrote: "James A wrote: "Angela wrote: "My biggest pain is trying to figure out what marketing is "real" and what is busy work. Also, by the time something becomes a Must Do, everybody is doing it, and it i..."

Thanks Angela for your thoughtful words. Feel free to get back to me with any question you might have and i hope you find the post helpful.

I will surely post the progress report with the books from time to time here.

But in the mean time,everyone can join my waiting list for the early bird book offer and also enjoy my free 5 modules guide - The 80/20 Guide To Book Marketing at http://www.authorscrib.com/The-80-20-...

Cheers!

message 28: by Bri (new)

Bri  | 4 comments James, and others

I think you probably have to figure out what works best or rather where people are that read your genre. Age range is really important because for example the young people have ditched Facebook some time ago. For some the main social media site for their readers is goodreads, others pinterest, others facebook or instagram. They key is to find them and then devote your energy to those areas and dont waste your time on the others.

message 29: by Donna (new)

Donna Hatch-Moore | 1 comments Hi, My name is Donna and I just joined this group. My biggest pain in marketing is the marketing. I have tried all the recommended marketing and nothing seems to work. I have done virtual tours and have seen some difference in sales. I also had some business cards made up and have handed them out everywhere - honestly I don't know if it has made a difference in sales but it is getting my name out there and my website is getting more hits.

message 30: by Mayowa (new)

Donna wrote: "Hi, My name is Donna and I just joined this group. My biggest pain in marketing is the marketing. I have tried all the recommended marketing and nothing seems to work. I have done virtual tours and..."

Thanks for your comment and i am so sorry that this is coming a bit late,i have been offline for weeks now having some fun away from any work

I will surely send you a mail,i will like to know more about your books so i can be able to figure out some tips for you

Cheers!

message 31: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) I once did a Facebook Ad purchase for $20. I highly doubt it gave me any sort of boost in sales but it did give me a great deal of new followers. I suppose one thing to do(perhaps Mayowa suggests this) is to have your book marked down on sale preferably around a time like this Black Friday, Cyber Monday, etc and then do a Facebook Ad. Not only will you gain a lot of followers but you may get quite a bit of sales as well.

Also, as a side note to Facebook Ads, if you just regularly make posts you have to either tag or share your post or else you won'r even reach half of your followers. This is because Facebook has a weird algorithm of what they think people want to see(even though its your page) and they only post it so it reachs like 10 people tops which is why you need to do your best to find a way to boost the views. Mayowa, if you can tell me a way to boost views on a FB post without having to do an Ad i'd be interested in hearing it. Facebook seems to have a lock on making sure authors cough up that dough to get their views.