Ancient & Medieval Historical Fiction discussion

Looking For a Book About.. > Witch-hunt (no fantasy)

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jan-Eric (new)

Jan-Eric (reunitepangaea) Hey guys! I'm searching for historical fiction books about the witch-hunting in western europe (16th century preferably).

Any suggestions?

message 2: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited May 06, 2014 05:26PM) (new)

Terri | 19496 comments I have one for you Johnny. Book one in a series.
The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1) by Oliver Pötzsch The Hangman's Daughter

A little later than you wanted, however, by 61 years. :)

message 3: by Juliew. (new)

Juliew. | 1 comments This might work and I thought it was an interesting book. Daughters of the Witching Hill by Mary Sharratt by Mary Sharratt

message 4: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19496 comments I haven't read either of these. A lot of people add them to supernatural/fantasy shelves, but plenty of people do that just because the book mentions or relates to witches. Whether they are fantasy ones or not.
You can never tell for sure, without reading the book, if there is any magic that cannot be rationally explained (therefore making it non fantasy), but I think these two look fantasy free.

The Witch's Trinity by Erika Mailman The Witch's Trinity

Corrag by Susan Fletcher Corrag

message 5: by Jan-Eric (new)

Jan-Eric (reunitepangaea) Thank you, guys! Guess I'm gonna try them out.

message 6: by Melisende (new)

Melisende | 5 comments Loved Daughters of the Witching Hill by Mary Sharratt!

message 7: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19496 comments IN case anybody is interested, the book I mentioned earlier in this thread, Corrag by Susan Fletcher Corrag, is one of our June Group Reads.
All welcome to join in.
Discussion thread is here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 8: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19496 comments Stumbled on this one today while doing something else.
Haven't read it, but it is supposed to include some witch hunting. Set in England in the 17th century.
May not suit the period you are requesting, Johnny. Thought I would add it here anyway, in case it appeals to you, or any others who are after a similar non fantasy witch hunting read.

Harvest by Jim Crace Harvest

message 9: by Tim (new)

Tim Hodkinson (timhodkinson) | 576 comments Johnny wrote: "Hey guys! I'm searching for historical fiction books about the witch-hunting in western europe (16th century preferably).

Any suggestions?"

It's 14th century but based on a true story-
The Devil to Pay: The Story of Alice and Petronilla