UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

General Chat - anything Goes > Pirated books-a warning

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I've just received this private message.

Hi,Patti

Sorry for the potential spam... just want to check if you are going to buy any kindle ebook recently.

I've got some amazon gift cards (GBP 500 in total) to be due in June, so I am looking for people who want to buy books then I can use gift cards to buy for them with discount (can be as good as 70% off, so for any book on amazon as long as it has kindle version available).

To make things easier, I can send you the book before you pay me (in mobi format), so you just need to download that to your device, and won't have concern for fraud.
Shoot me email via xxxxxxxx.ucl@gmail.com if you are interested.

Sorry for the disturb!

cheers

I'm sure this person will be selling pirated books. I don't recommend utilising it.

message 2: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments I got this message too! They also tried to add me as a friend

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Probably targeting everyone in our group.

Thief.

message 4: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments I flagged that spam as a shameless scam

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I've flagged it as well.

message 6: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments I've just had this too. I had to get out my bargepole in order not to touch her with it.

message 7: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments My friend Hazel,Chasing Azrael released the weekend before the bank Hol.. By Wednesday last week it was pirated on YouTube.

message 8: by Will (new)

Will Once (willonce) | 4053 comments I suppose they send out thousands of these and only need a small number to hit in order to make their money.

This one is really disappointing. It's written in English.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments You prefer Manglish?

message 10: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments I got this one too.

message 11: by Anna (last edited May 06, 2014 03:06PM) (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1691 comments Thanks for the alert, Patti.

message 12: by Will (new)

Will Once (willonce) | 4053 comments Gingerlily - or Englishish.

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments So, did this go to your goodreads mail or your personal mail. I am puzzled how certain people got targeted.

message 14: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments Simon (Highwayman) wrote: "So, did this go to your goodreads mail or your personal mail. I am puzzled how certain people got targeted."

Goodreads, I think. I've gone back to find it but it isn't there...

message 15: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments Goodreads inbox - but it's been removed. Someone must have agreed with us that it was behaviour unbecoming...

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments I wonder if they are Nigerian books

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Kath wrote: "Goodreads inbox - but it's been removed. Someone must have agreed with us that it was behaviour unbecoming..."

I wonder how they do that. Was it from someone in your friend list? I occasionally get friend requests from complete strangers and ignore them (MY Mum warned me about that sort of thing)

message 18: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments Nope. Somebody out of the blue.

message 19: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments Nope, I didn't know them either.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Complete stranger. In goodreads pm.

Goodreads must have deleted the messages. I don't think you can delete your messages once they're sent?

message 21: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1691 comments Have you checked if they are Goodreads' members?

When anything odd happens like that I always change my password - not sure if that would do any good in this case. Any techies reading this who can help?

message 22: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments Changing your password won't make a difference, you need to change your privacy setting so only friends can PM you.

message 23: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments They are just sending you a message not accessing your account. Although if you click on any links in the message then you should definitely change your password and run a virus scan too.

message 24: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments Jud works in IT. When she's tired, we switch her off and switch her back on again...

message 25: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21833 comments Kath wrote: "Jud works in IT. When she's tired, we switch her off and switch her back on again..."

:-)

Apparently I can be rebooted in 'Safe'mode but nobody can remember how to do it ;-)

message 26: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments I don't think I have a 'safe' mode installed.

message 27: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments That's what happened up there^ I got switched off and had to reboot to finish my message.

I need swtiched off a lot these days, baby brain is no myth! Or it is and I've always just been a bit daft but people now have an excuse to tell me so to my face...

message 28: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments I suspect I have a 'dangerous' mode... ;)

message 29: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Lawston (andrewlawston) | 1790 comments I'm sometimes told if I had a brain I'd be dangerous...

message 30: by Michael Cargill (new)

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 2997 comments Jud, does your skin survive the reboot?

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I betcha it's like moulting.

message 32: by Michael Cargill (new)

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 2997 comments She could sell it on ebay for a fortune.

"Impeccably smooth and perfect skin that you'll never tire of stroking and rubbing against your face, only worn once."

message 33: by Richard (new)

Richard Martinus | 646 comments Doesn't it set the pregnancy to start again from scratch, tho?

message 34: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments No but you have to shut me down properly or it might cause pregnancy corruption.

It's the rebooting that keeps my skin so soft Michael, it thinks I'm a brand new babe as yet untainted by the outside world.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Ah. That's my problem.

Taint.

message 36: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments I have a safe, but I lost the combination...

message 37: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 1674 comments Will wrote: "My friend Hazel,Chasing Azrael released the weekend before the bank Hol.. By Wednesday last week it was pirated on YouTube."

Wow they work fast these days...