Our Shared Shelf discussion

Announcements > June book!! Persepolis, by Marjane Satrapi

Comments Showing 1-50 of 218 (218 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma Watson (emmawatsonbookclub) | 49 comments Mod
Dear Our Shared Shelf,

Our next book will be Persepolis, a graphic novel that serves as the memoir of the author, Marjane Satrapi. It's about a bold and brave young woman and her experiences in 1980s Iran.

Persepolis was first published in French in 2003 and like Art Spiegelman's Maus (which was about the Holocaust and was the first graphic novel to win the Pulitzer Prize) is now widely considered a classic of the graphic novel form.

Satrapi grew up in Iran during the Islamic Revolution and its aftermath; Persepolis is the story of her childhood. Through Marji's youthful (though not-always-innocent) eyes and mind, we see a turbulent moment in history unfold, and we witness the tremendous impact that local and global events and politics can have on even the most intimate moments of personal lives.  We experience with Marji her day-to-day dreams and struggles, from family strife to wrestling with religious faith and custom.  We're swept up in her parents' anxieties and her grandmother's memories of an utterly different era.  And we get a very real sense of what it was like to be a woman in Iran during this intense time of cultural and political transition.

As Iran enters another important period of change, with relations re-opening with much of the world, I think this is a particularly good time to pick up Persepolis.  Satrapi's deceptively simple, almost whimsical drawings belie the seriousness and rich complexity of her story--but it’s also very funny too.

I’m excited to hear what you think.

Love,
Emma x

message 2: by Bunny (new)

Bunny Oh HOORAY! I love this one!

message 3: by Katelyn, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Katelyn (katelynrh) | 836 comments Mod
I just read Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic for the first time, so I'm so excited for another graphic novel recommendation!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, seems like an interesting memoir, will definitely start reading it in June, but I still have to finish ' The Argonauts' first.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Also, graphic novel would be first of its kind in this club, that sounds
exhilarating, can't wait.

message 6: by Rochelle (new)

Rochelle | 2 comments Just ordered June book. Great discussions on Argonauts, looking forward to next months gems!

message 7: by Ross (new)

Ross | 1444 comments Emma wrote: "Dear Our Shared Shelf,

Our next book will be Persepolis, a graphic novel that serves as the memoir of the author, Marjane Satrapi. It's about a bold and brave young woman and her experiences in 1..."

I have read this it is powerful has you might expect but also funny.
enjoy.

message 8: by Donika (new)

Donika | 18 comments So happy to get to read this one!! I remember having been very touched by the film. I'm looking forward to discussing it

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy Gentry (goodreadscomamy_gentry) | 1 comments What a great choice! Looking forward to the discussion on this one.

message 10: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Crescini | 1 comments I'm very glad that the next book to be read would be a grapich novel. I always wanted to read this one and I will take this chance happly :)

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I read and enjoyed this back in November. :) I'm looking forward to discussing it.

message 12: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Pinte | 3 comments This graphic novel is awesome ! I advise everyone to read it !

message 13: by Romina (new)

Romina Scianatico | 37 comments Emma wrote: "Dear Our Shared Shelf,

Our next book will be Persepolis, a graphic novel that serves as the memoir of the author, Marjane Satrapi. It's about a bold and brave young woman and her experiences in 1..."

Emma,

I'm excited to get my hands on it! I'd also like to say how happy and grateful I am that you're taking the time to research which books to read for this book club. I want you to know that your effort really shows and that this is evident with each book you choose as well as the timing. Thank you so much!!

Best,
Romina Xx

message 14: by Chelsey (new)

Chelsey Saatkamp | 2 comments Bought this a while ago but haven't yet read it. Good motivator!

message 15: by Romina (new)

Romina Scianatico | 37 comments Team,

Here are just a few links to June's book! I'm sure you must all have seen in the previous posts that this piece is split in two, so I've included links to the Complete Collection, Part 1, and Part 2. I just ordered a paperback with both parts - psyched for it to come in!!

Complete:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Persep...

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/compl...

https://www.valorebooks.com/textbooks...

Part 1:

http://www.amazon.com/Persepolis-Chil...

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/perse...

Part 2:

http://www.amazon.com/Persepolis-Retu...

Enjoy!

Romina Xx

message 16: by Genny (new)

Genny Pisano | 21 comments Wow, to have a graphic novel next month, it's a brilliant idea!

Good to be opened to different kinds and not just sticking with regular books! :)

Sure, though its appearance, I reckon it's not to be taken lightly :)

Very eager to read it, thanks for this choice! X

message 17: by Shana (new)

Shana Kaplan (sek1128) | 93 comments Sounds interesting. I'll swing by BN tomorrow and pick it up.

Emma you're doing an awesome job with the books selections. I recognize the level of difficulty in selecting a book and arranging for author participation. I appreciate all of your hard work, time, and effort.

I look forward to reading Perseplois. : )

message 18: by Simone (last edited May 16, 2016 10:28PM) (new)

Simone | 85 comments Found out there is a Chinese edition, i've passed may's book but i'll read this one.
very excited to read this one.

message 19: by Mahima (new)

Mahima Pradhan A graphic novel? Cool! Thanks Emma!!!
Love,
Mahima x

message 20: by Gabe (new)

Gabe | 11 comments I love graphic novel !!!
Looking forward to reading this classic!

message 21: by Martin (new)

Martin Felando Just bought it, looking forward to it.

message 22: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Neill | 1 comments Just joined Our Shared Shelf and i am so excited to get started with this!! Thanks Emma x

message 23: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria | 24 comments Just ordered the first and second parts, and am excited to start reading. I think it will be interesting to go from something like the Argonauts to a graphic novel.

message 24: by Charline (new)

Charline (chaaw_) Yay ! A french book and a graphic novel :) I loved the film, can't wait to read the book !

message 25: by Mary (new)

Mary Jo | 3 comments I still don't have Argonauts (Amazon order) so I'll start this one as I found it on the library shelf. Looks really interesting!

message 26: by Mishel (new)

Mishel Fajardo | 1 comments I just join the club! I'm excited to start this book but I don't know if I should start reading this one or the one that is from this month, any suggest? By the way I'm from Ecuador, South América.

message 27: by Henriette (new)

Henriette Terkelsen Oh, I read it while getting my bachelor degree, so in 2008 or so. It is brilliant!

message 28: by Henriette (new)

Henriette Terkelsen @Katelyn - Funhouse is wonderfull! I've read it several times and used it when I tought a danish class.

message 29: by Suzan (new)

Suzan Jackson (suejackson) | 5 comments Oh, good! I read Persepolis last year and really liked it - a unique perspective if the Iranian Revolution through the eyes of a child...and a coming-of-age story, too! Here is my review (no spoilers):

http://bookbybook.blogspot.com/2015/0...

Even better, my 18-year old son is currently reading Persepolis for his World Lit class in high school - I was thrilled to hear they'd chosen this book.

Can't wait to join the discussions - and you've inspired me to request Persepolis 2 from my library!

Sue

message 30: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (vanase) | 10 comments This is a book that my husband has been trying to get me to read for years... what better time than now? = P

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 4 comments I saw 2 times the film and i'm clearly gonna read the book now:D

message 32: by Robert (new)

Robert | 2 comments I read this book a few years back. Watched the animated video as well. Very powerful and superb story. Highly recommended.

message 33: by Elbie (last edited May 17, 2016 03:03PM) (new)

Elbie Love | 2 comments I have read Persepolis as well. It was a good read! Cant wait to discuss it. <3

message 34: by Stef (new)

Stef (steftomlinson8) | 1 comments I have never read this book, but it sounds familiar. Can't wait! :D

message 35: by Belinda (new)

Belinda | 13 comments I'm really looking forward to this month's pick, as I skipped a few of the other choices due to uni workload... this one I can read for fun easily!

message 36: by Paula (new)

Paula | 45 comments Sounds great! I haven't read too many graphic novels, so I'm excited to try it :D

message 37: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 4 comments I saw the film Persepolis two times and now I gonna read this graphic novel :D

message 38: by Elena (new)

Elena (helenahufflepuff) | 21 comments I read it a few years ago, but I can't wait to re-read it again, it's a wonderful work ^_^
Great choice, thank you!

message 39: by Kenny (new)

Kenny Gonzalez | 1 comments It is a great read.

message 40: by Paula (new)

Paula S (paula_s) | 29 comments I read it a few years ago, but it's worth a reread.

message 41: by Vickie (new)

Vickie Zhang | 6 comments Wow

message 42: by Francine (new)

Francine | 6 comments So looking forward to this! I love how we're getting a full spectrum of literature in this book club - very exciting!

message 43: by Gabe (new)

Gabe | 11 comments It's a great time for reading this book really.

Just saw from the news this morning, a lot of Iranian female models are being sued just because they did not wear their veils in the photos in magazines. They are said to have violated the Islamic traditional rules. I can't believe this still happens after over 30 years' time.

I hope to know more about this issue from the book. Good pick, Emma!

message 44: by Emily (new)

Emily (emyvrooom) | 64 comments I read this book in a Women in Literature class while I was an undergraduate. I can't wait to read it again, and I'm thrilled to experience a new genre with OSS!

message 45: by Ashwini (new)

Ashwini | 1 comments I love this book. I read it for the first time in high school and it blew me away

message 46: by opinionsononions (new)

opinionsononions | 1 comments Great pick. I happen to have bought it a few days ago und put it right on top of my to read pile. Can't wait to get to it.

message 47: by Megan (new)

Megan This graphic novel was incredible to read. It was one of the first ones I read and it is beautiful. Hope others enjoy it as much as I did.

message 48: by Fiza (new)

Fiza (fizaaarshad) | 99 comments Brilliant!! This is exactly my kind of thing. Although I couldn't make time for The Argonauts, I'm definitely going to fight for this one. Xx

message 49: by Shelly (new)

Shelly | 2 comments So excited to read this! Just finished one more year of college, so I finally have time to read!!

message 50: by Becky (new)

Becky Rice (beckyrice) | 16 comments I read this and I absolutely love it. I read it a long time ago, I mean...like almost ten years ago. I'm excited to reread it for next month's discussions!

« previous 1 3 4 5