Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

May 2014: Hunter's Claim > Casting for "Hunter's Claim" (spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joia (last edited May 12, 2014 06:48PM) (new)

Joia | 12 comments Subject to change:

Hunter: Tahmoh Penikett
Jesse: having trouble because in my head she looks just like a friend of mine - 5'8", thin and angular (aka not "cute"), reddish-brown hair, serious but warm eyes, formidably intelligent but also maternal.

Jordan: Shailene Woodley
Taylor: Chloe Grace Moretz

Dagger: Joe Manganiello
Saber: Travis Willingham
Thunder (the field marshal): The Rock
Jag (the commander): Ron Perlman as the Beast

And Elizabeth Olsen as Bree, the doctor's Amate, just because she looks a bit cat-like.

message 2: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 938 comments for the thubdercats, i would cast the khajit from skyrim

message 3: by Katie (new)

Katie (ilovebettymcrae) | 36 comments Casting for this was hard. I definitely pictured the characters as many different actors throughout the story. Jesse was the hardest to peg and Hunter came second.

Hunter: Daniel DiTomasso (Killian on Witches of East End)(but honestly I imagined Mike Colter at one point and also Chris Pine)
Jesse: Emilia Clark or Ksenia Solo
Taylor: Ashley Benson with darker hair
Jordan: Elizabeth Henstridge
Saber: Leonard Roberts (he played Forest in Buffy, an initiative boy)

I'm not sure if I'm the only one but casting for this book felt almost impossible for me.

message 4: by Erin (new)

Erin Kys (erincosmic) I came in here to say "Ron Pearlman as the Beast" but Joia beat me to the punch!

message 5: by Erin (new)

Erin Kys (erincosmic) *Perlman

message 6: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Was this another "make the protagonist a blank slate, so girls can insert themselves" one - I cannot remember a word about Jesse's physical appearance, other than small.

message 7: by Joia (last edited May 08, 2014 04:34AM) (new)

Joia | 12 comments Alicia wrote: "Was this another "make the protagonist a blank slate, so girls can insert themselves" one - I cannot remember a word about Jesse's physical appearance, other than small."

She's got dark brown hair and brown eyes, freckles, and weighs 110 pounds (eyeroll at the specificity).

What struck me was the shift from the sort of pragmatic hunter/protector that Jennifer Lawrence plays in "Winter's Bone" (and "Hunger Games") to the strong but tender young mother like Katie Nolan in "A Tree Grows In Brooklyn". It made sense to me that the character would make that shift, but it doesn't seem like a typical character arc for women in movies, especially these days. I wracked my brain and couldn't come up with an actress that I could see playing both states and the transition from one to the other credibly. Ashley Clements?

message 8: by Erin (new)

Erin Kys (erincosmic) Maybe Emma Watson for Jesse?

message 9: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Kendall (_pochemuchka_) | 45 comments Kristen Stewart as Jesse.

message 10: by Katie (new)

Katie (ilovebettymcrae) | 36 comments Kamil wrote: "for the thubdercats, i would cast the khajit from skyrim"

Imagining them this way is hilarious.