Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy Addicts discussion

Archive Discussion > Books like the ones in Kristen Callihan's Darkest London series

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nina (new)

Nina | 4 comments Hello! I just love ALL of the books in Kristen Callihan 's Darkest London series and it's with some sadness that I say that nothing I've read since has come close to it.

Would anyone here know of other paranormal/fantasy books that are written in a similar style (i.e., dark, serious, beautifully descriptive)?

Thanks in advance to whoever replies! :)

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather | 11 comments Hi Nina, I just joined this group (my first) to get an answer to this same question :) I realize you asked this way back in May but I thought I would throw out a couple options for you. I love Bec McMaster's London Steampunk series and Margaret Foxe's Elders and Welders Chronicles. The only 2 series I've found that come close to Callihans (for me at least) :) If you've found anything along the way please let me know, I'd love to find another series I can fall in love with.

message 3: by Nina (new)

Nina | 4 comments Heather wrote: "Hi Nina, I just joined this group (my first) to get an answer to this same question :) I realize you asked this way back in May but I thought I would throw out a couple options for you. I love Bec..."

Hey! Thanks for replying with your recs. I'll check out the two authors you mentioned for sure! Sadly, I still have not yet come across another paranormal book with the same level of plot intricacy and style as Callihan's books, but these books struck me as well-written and fresh:

Master of Crows (Master of Crows, #1) by Grace Draven - not steampubk or paranormal but mages and stuff

Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger

message 4: by Sandra J (last edited Dec 26, 2014 05:51AM) (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 67 comments I haven't read these yet, but Meljean Brook's Iron Seas series has gotten very good reviews. Riveted (Iron Seas, #3) by Meljean Brook The Kraken King (Iron Seas, #4) by Meljean Brook The Iron Duke (Iron Seas, #1) by Meljean Brook Heart of Steel (Iron Seas, #2) by Meljean Brook

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather | 11 comments Nina wrote: "Heather wrote: "Hi Nina, I just joined this group (my first) to get an answer to this same question :) I realize you asked this way back in May but I thought I would throw out a couple options for ..."

I hope you like them! Callihan is hard to beat, she's been my favorite author since I read Firelight (Darkest London, #1) by Kristen Callihan :) Thanks for giving me some options as well!

message 6: by Nina (new)

Nina | 4 comments Sandra J wrote: "I haven't read these yet, but Meljean Brook's Iron Seas series has gotten very good reviews. Riveted (Iron Seas, #3) by Meljean BrookThe Kraken King (Iron Seas, #4) by Meljean Brook The Iron Duke (Iron Seas, #1) by Meljean Brook [b..."

Thanks for the rec! I see these around a lot, might give them a shot soon. =)

message 7: by Nina (new)

Nina | 4 comments Heather wrote: "Nina wrote: "Heather wrote: "Hi Nina, I just joined this group (my first) to get an answer to this same question :) I realize you asked this way back in May but I thought I would throw out a couple..."

What's your favorite book in the series? Mine's Moonglow (Darkest London, #2) by Kristen Callihan

message 8: by Heather (new)

Heather | 11 comments Nina wrote: "Heather wrote: "Nina wrote: "Heather wrote: "Hi Nina, I just joined this group (my first) to get an answer to this same question :) I realize you asked this way back in May but I thought I would th..."

I sway between Moonglow (Darkest London, #2) by Kristen Callihan and Shadowdance (Darkest London, #4) by Kristen Callihan Ian and Daisy are my favorite characters, I loved their snarky banter. Showdowdance had awesome sensual tension though, the scene in Jack's bathroom-woah!! ;) Callihan's books are the only books I've read more than once; I just love the world/characters she created and the way she writes!