Goodreads Ireland discussion

Introductions > Jackie Molloy

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 19 comments I am from Birmingham UK I have worked for Birmingham Public Libraries for 24 years, I have spent the last 17 years working for Birmingham Mobile Library, reading and talking about books is a big part of my life, I run a book group.
My Mother is from Dublin, she was born just off O'Connell Street in 1933, we still have family living there,we are in Dublin at least once a year if not more. My husbands late father was also from Dublin hence MOLLOY. My Irish heritage has always been very important to me, I'm just about to start reading Brooklyn so will let you what I think
Best Wishes Jackie

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul Hi Jackie. Welcome to the group. Looking forward to you joining in the book chats. The thread for Brooklyn is open so jump in.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome, Jackie. It's nice to finally chat with you.

I think you'll enjoy it here but I'd like to take this opportunity to ask if being a librarian ever makes you feel tired of books or makes you love them all the more?

I'm born-and-bred Dub

message 4: by Trelawn (new)

Trelawn Hi Jackie,welcome to the book haven :-)

message 5: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 19 comments Declan wrote: "Welcome, Jackie. It's nice to finally chat with you.

I think you'll enjoy it here but I'd like to take this opportunity to ask if being a librarian ever makes you feel tired of books or makes you..."

I never get tired of books, I often say 'I have the best job in the World'
even after all these years I can be surprised by the power and importance of books to our borrowers. I left work today and then went into The New Library of Birmingham to an author event, just as a punter not a member of staff. My book group takes up a bit of time we, have just been selected by the Reading Agency to work with a local author to write a short story.
I also do a lot of work with local schools promoting literacy, we also have an after school club, so I know a bit about romans/ egyptians etc !!!
I have had a few hellos already seems like a really great group of poeple

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

If you love your job, it isn't work, Jackie. It sounds like a great job from where I'm sitting, too.

Oh, and it is a great group. :)

message 7: by Trelawn (new)

Trelawn I am so jealous Jackie. I'd love to work in a bookshop or a livrary. My idea of heaven.

message 8: by I-like-to-read (new)

I-like-to-read (akakate) HI Jackie

Welcome to the group.

Kate :-)